The Student Room Group

I have the C1 exam in 2 days

Basically I have the c1 exam on friday i have done about half hour revision overall and got 45% in a mock paper is it possible to go from 45% to a decent mark in 2 days?

Scroll to see replies

If you can afford to use the 2 days solely for maths then do every single past paper you can, learn how to answer the questions from the mark scheme and then you'll stand a better chance than you do right now.
Reply 2
Original post by papapapo
Basically I have the c1 exam on friday i have done about half hour revision overall and got 45% in a mock paper is it possible to go from 45% to a decent mark in 2 days?

Post some questions you're stuck on i'll try to help.:biggrin:
Not going to be harsh but probably no, you cant expect to wait until two days before the exam and turn up and get a good grade, you may be able to do this for C1 and maybe C2 but anything beyond that and you will be struggling to pass
Reply 4
Yes. Now get the **** off TSR and do some revision.
Its possible... but you really should have revised well from earlier.

Just try a lot of papers and make sure you know what type of things you will be asked in the exam :smile:
Reply 6
you can, i learnt an entire course in 2 days and got 93%
you do however have to put in an immense amount of time and effort and make sure you do every single paper, and then understand why you got every bit wrong, then make sure that you won't do that again

good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Let's break this down.
Generally for most students C1 is taught from September to January and on average for your run of the mill cohort you will spend about 14-15 school weeks learning the module with around 3 hours contact time and an expected minimum of 1-1 hour non contact time per week (every hour you do in a lesson, you do one at home).
I expect that as a minimum and many who enjoy the subject do more.

The idea that anybody will learn C1 in 'x' days and get 'y' UMS is something reserved for very few and is not general advice that should be taken as a given. This is highly unrealistic for the majority of pupils.

Doing past papers will not teach the subject. Past papers are suited to those who have covered the course and want to polish their prep. Again, the idea of learning A level maths from past papers will never be suggested to you by a teacher. It simply leads to huge gaps in understanding that get exposed later on and most pupils I know who try end their maths career in the first 2 weeks of A2.

What can you do?
My suggestion is to knuckle down and learn C2 and sit the exams together in May and be prepared.
How can you do that?
Lots of way, but the main point is to realise that you are highly unlikely to be able to posts a similar message in the week of C2 and get anything from an AS in maths.

Here are some ways:
Get a book you can enjoy, are motivated by and can learn both C1 and C2 (Edexcel/MEI and OCR all have specifically written books)
Get a study partner. That may help, may not but if you like working together you can have the help and motivation
Use your teachers. They do want to help (well most I do want to)
Use the internet: www.m4ths.com www.examsolutions.co.uk www.livemaths.co.uk are all good sites for learning along with many others

Please don't though believe maths is about learning and cramming before an exam as you may come unstuck long term. C1 is relatively easy in comparison to other units you may do and a long term strategy for sustained learning is key.
Reply 8
It's near impossible to learn a whole module in 2 days, but it is definitely possible to up your grade from a D to an A/B. Do past papers, LOTS of them, if you can't do a question check the mark scheme, check examsolutions.co.uk and then when you understand what to do, move on. Eventually you will be prepared for 90% of the questions that may be thrown at you.
Reply 9
Original post by xy5
Let's break this down.
Generally for most students C1 is taught from September to January and on average for your run of the mill cohort you will spend about 14-15 school weeks learning the module with around 3 hours contact time and an expected minimum of 1-1 hour non contact time per week (every hour you do in a lesson, you do one at home).
I expect that as a minimum and many who enjoy the subject do more.

The idea that anybody will learn C1 in 'x' days and get 'y' UMS is something reserved for very few and is not general advice that should be taken as a given. This is highly unrealistic for the majority of pupils.

Doing past papers will not teach the subject. Past papers are suited to those who have covered the course and want to polish their prep. Again, the idea of learning A level maths from past papers will never be suggested to you by a teacher. It simply leads to huge gaps in understanding that get exposed later on and most pupils I know who try end their maths career in the first 2 weeks of A2.

What can you do?
My suggestion is to knuckle down and learn C2 and sit the exams together in May and be prepared.
How can you do that?
Lots of way, but the main point is to realise that you are highly unlikely to be able to posts a similar message in the week of C2 and get anything from an AS in maths.

Here are some ways:
Get a book you can enjoy, are motivated by and can learn both C1 and C2 (Edexcel/MEI and OCR all have specifically written books)
Get a study partner. That may help, may not but if you like working together you can have the help and motivation
Use your teachers. They do want to help (well most I do want to)
Use the internet: www.m4ths.com www.examsolutions.co.uk www.livemaths.co.uk are all good sites for learning along with many others

Please don't though believe maths is about learning and cramming before an exam as you may come unstuck long term. C1 is relatively easy in comparison to other units you may do and a long term strategy for sustained learning is key.

I really couldn't disagree more.

Oh just don't listen to this. Cram yourself with as many past papers as you can tonight and tomorrow.

Exam technique is just as important (in my opinion, more, actually) as a thorough understanding of the syllabus. Gaps is your knowledge may not be as vital as everyone's making out to be - especially for the easier A-level modules. In my opinion, the gaps will only become apparent in the later modules; maybe not even then.

And you'll easily be able to address these 'gaps' in the coming months. Right now I'd say the only thing that's important is that you get a good mark in C1. There's more than enough past papers and solomon ones floating around (I'd strongly advise you tackle all the actual past papers first before moving to the solomon ones at this stage).

To be honest, it doesn't even matter (in the short-term) if you don't know what you're doing - all that's important is that you recognise a question from ones you've seen similarly in past papers and know how to tackle it.

Do a past paper. Look at the mark scheme. See where you've gone wrong. Indentify the mistakes you've made and note it for potential future questions. (Notice how I said 'identify' and not 'understand').

Then repeat this process as many times as humanly possible in the next 48 hours.

Good luck :smile:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Ree69

Oh just don't listen to this. Cram yourself with as many past papers as you can tonight and tomorrow.

Exam technique is just as important (in my opinion, more, actually) as a thorough understanding of the syllabus. Gaps is your knowledge may not be as vital as everyone's making out to be - especially for the easier A-level modules. In my opinion, the gaps will only become apparent in the later modules; maybe not even then.

And you'll easily be able to address these 'gaps' in the coming months. Right now I'd say the only thing that's important is that you get a good mark in C1. There's more than enough past papers and solomon ones floating around (I'd strongly advise you tackle all the actual past papers first before moving to the solomon ones at this stage).

To be honest, it doesn't even matter (in the short-term) if you don't know what you're doing - all that's important is that you recognise a question from ones you've seen similarly in past papers and know how to tackle it.

Do a past paper. Look at the mark scheme. See where you've gone wrong. Indentify the mistakes you've made and note it for potential future questions. (Notice how I said 'identify' and not 'understand').

Then repeat this process as many times as humanly possible in the next 48 hours.

Question (1):
Are you a teacher or are you a student?

Question (2):
Do you believe many teachers of A level would advocate the approach you outline above?
Reply 11
Original post by xy5
Question (1):
Are you a teacher or are you a student?

Question (2):
Do you believe many teachers of A level would advocate the approach you outline above?

Student - of course I'm aware not many teachers would encourage the approach I suggested above. But it works; I've done it and many of my friends have done it too. I'm sure many will agree the whole A-level system is flawed.

I don't believe your approach is any better. I think 'OK give up now but make sure you're prepared for June' is awful advice. Two days is plenty of time to prepare for the exam.
Reply 12
Yes do a lot of revision, i got 79% in C1 but im resitting, if you have skype pm me it so we can revise together? i need to refresh my memory:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by mattz330
Yes do a lot of revision, i got 79% in C1 but im resitting, if you have skype pm me it so we can revise together? i need to refresh my memory:smile:

Why you ressiting if yu got 79% isnt that an A
Reply 14
Original post by Ree69
Student - of course I'm aware not many teachers would encourage the approach I suggested above. But it works; I've done it and many of my friends have done it too. I'm sure many will agree the whole A-level system is flawed.

I don't believe your approach is any better. I think 'OK give up now but make sure you're prepared for June' is awful advice. Two days is plenty of time to prepare for the exam.

I don't want to get into an argument or be rude.
I will simply state that no teacher I know or have worked with would advocate anything along the lines of those listed. I would be sacked from my school and 2 previous ones for suggesting anything like it.
I have taught a large number of A level students and many cohorts and the only people would adopt such an approach is either a very able or very foolish pupils. Most mainstream A Level groups are not filled with many of either sort.
Sitting double exams in a May sitting is ideal for many pupils, tried and tested as they develop in both maturity and mathematical skills in the months between xmas and May.
Reply 15
What do you think the Grade boundaries would be for Fridays paper?
Original post by Ree69

+rep

It took me about a week to prepare for C1. I studied in my spare time whilst revising for year 11 mocks in January and got 86 UMS. Past papers are absolutely essential. If you do enough you can predict what's coming in most question the following sitting. Don't waste time looking at pointless watered down examples. Do the real thing. Good luck :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by sadiqamaan
Why you ressiting if yu got 79% isnt that an A

its the subject i wanan get an A in for Uni and my teacher thinks you need overf 90% in C1 and C2 because C3 and C4 are really hard xD
Reply 18
Original post by xy5
I don't want to get into an argument or be rude.
I will simply state that no teacher I know or have worked with would advocate anything along the lines of those listed. I would be sacked from my school and 2 previous ones for suggesting anything like it.
I have taught a large number of A level students and many cohorts and the only people would adopt such an approach is either a very able or very foolish pupils. Most mainstream A Level groups are not filled with many of either sort.
Sitting double exams in a May sitting is ideal for many pupils, tried and tested as they develop in both maturity and mathematical skills in the months between xmas and May.

Well we're communicating on a student forum here - and I'm sure this is what the majority of students and users here think (they certainly did at my old school). Of course a teacher would never encourage this attitude nor approach from the beginning of your A-level career (I certainly wouldn't). But when you get to this situation, what can you do? Give up and prepare for the resit?

Sorry if I come across as a bit arrogant - I'm just really strongly opposed to the advice you've given earlier. I suppose from here we can only agree to disagree.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Dreamweaver
+rep

It took me about a week to prepare for C1. I studied in my spare time whilst revising for year 11 mocks in January and got 86 UMS. Past papers are absolutely essential. If you do enough you can predict what's coming in most question the following sitting. Don't waste time looking at pointless watered down examples. Do the real thing. Good luck :smile:

Cheers :smile:. I did something similar (literally four days of revision!) with S2 and got 94.

(Admittedly, I'm not sure how accurate the advice I'm giving is for C1, I prepared for it the normal way :K:)

Quick Reply

Latest