Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey just wondering what grades people got to study Nat Sci at Cambridge/offers as I read in the prospectus it is the most highly competed for subject? And the kind of stuff u need 2 prepare for interview as its not really like English with a reading list!! Thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lexy_matten)
    Hey just wondering what grades people got to study Nat Sci at Cambridge/offers as I read in the prospectus it is the most highly competed for subject? And the kind of stuff u need 2 prepare for interview as its not really like English with a reading list!! Thanx

You need to read around the subject a lot. I'd recommend subscribing to NewScientist as it's not too highbrow and provides lots of interesting topics you can talk about at interview, if the chance comes up. Also make sure you know your stuff really well, and maybe research further bits of topics you've covered at A level and found interesting.

NatSci and Law compete fairly closely for the title of 'Most Competitive' - you're unlikely to need less than AAA at A level (unless you get a matriculation offer, which is relatively unusual at most colleges).

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    AAA? I would have loved an offer as easy as that!

The standard offer for NatSci in my college (Christ's) last year was AAAA if you were doing four A-levels! However, you could replace one of the A grades with a Step grade 1 on any paper, or a distinction in any AEA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisbphd)
    AAA? I would have loved an offer as easy as that!

The standard offer for NatSci in my college (Christ's) last year was AAAA if you were doing four A-levels! However, you could replace one of the A grades with a Step grade 1 on any paper, or a distinction in any AEA.
    Your offer was, arguably, just as easy (or difficult). Maths and further aren't really different subjects.

Yes, I am just contradicting you for the hell of it.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    It's the most competititive subject? I didn't know that. I would have thought that law and medecine were the top two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucerna)
    It's the most competititive subject? I didn't know that. I would have thought that law and medecine were the top two.

Hmm, yeah, forgot medicine.. I know that at Sidney last year though, to give you some idea, there were around 200 people competing for 20 NatSci places. That's a pretty high ratio even by Cambridge standards.

Chrisbphd: I got given AAA on four A levels, no STEP or AEAs required - hee hee!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Hmm, yeah, forgot medicine.. I know that at Sidney last year though, to give you some idea, there were around 200 people competing for 20 NatSci places. That's a pretty high ratio even by Cambridge standards.

Chrisbphd: I got given AAA on four A levels, no STEP or AEAs required - hee hee!
    I know at least two people here that got EE for NatSci!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)

Ben

Yeah, but they had to go to Christ's

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but they had to go to Christ's
    Hmmm - yes. Bit of a blow really - having to go where you applied!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm - yes. Bit of a blow really - having to go where you applied!

Ben

Hehehe, sorry, I must stop this... very naughty of me

Right, bed for tired NatScis with 9 o'clocks tomorrow...

ReputationRep:
    Hehehe, sorry, I must stop this... very naughty of me

Right, bed for tired NatScis with 9 o'clocks tomorrow...
    Indeed. Enjoy QB or EMB, or whatever it is you do (it's not 'A', at any rate) followed by the ramblings of Keeler and the eccentric Howard Griffiths - I hope someone phones him again!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. Enjoy QB or EMB, or whatever it is you do (it's not 'A', at any rate) followed by the ramblings of Keeler and the eccentric Howard Griffiths - I hope someone phones him again!

Ben

I do QB, EMB is at 9am on Mon/Weds/Fri I think. Awww, Keeler's really sweet! I'm sure Howard Griffiths is on wacky baccy or something - not that I'm complaining, his lectures are hugely entertaining! The plant scientists are obviously trying to bribe us to do their subject - first we're given crisps, then popcorn and pineapple... Brilliant

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, yeah, forgot medicine..
    :eek: !!! How could you?

Is this "Farmer" Keeler that my friends have been telling me about? He sounds really funny!

We've just finished a short lecture series with Prof. Wyllie (who is apparently due a Nobel quite soon) - the guy's an absolute darling, as well as being a biochem legend.

(Original post by Ben.S)
    Yes, but that's Christ's. You're different (and I don't just mean in the way you make your offers )

I did 4 A-Levels; my offer was "only" AAA but specified it had to be in Bio, Chem and Maths; they wouldn't count German (but I got an A anyway )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    :eek: !!! How could you?

Is this "Farmer" Keeler that my friends have been telling me about? He sounds really funny!
    Yeah.. he's lovely! Shame he teaches such a horrible subject (thermodynamics ugh)

I did 4 A-Levels; my offer was "only" AAA but specified it had to be in Bio, Chem and Maths; they wouldn't count German (but I got an A anyway )
    Heh.. I could have failed Maths and got an A in French and I'd have been fine Only thought that kept me sane during the hell that was my P3 exam...

ReputationRep:
    AAA in Bio, Chem, Maths plus E in French...and I guess they don't give two hoots about general studies, which is a shame since our school makes us take it...

ReputationRep:
    thanx everyone! sorry i havent responded

ReputationRep:
    You need to read around the subject a lot. I'd recommend subscribing to NewScientist as it's not too highbrow and provides lots of interesting topics you can talk about at interview, if the chance comes up. Also make sure you know your stuff really well, and maybe research further bits of topics you've covered at A level and found interesting.
    have a subscription to NewScientist tho most confess sometimes dont get past feedback!

Another question, it is possible to approach from both ways, physical and biological isnt it? (am doin chem, phy, d.maths &french)

ReputationRep:
    The two people who left my school last year to read NatSci had offers of AAAA.

J.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lexy_matten)
    have a subscription to NewScientist tho most confess sometimes dont get past feedback!

Another question, it is possible to approach from both ways, physical and biological isnt it? (am doin chem, phy, d.maths &french)

Yeah, they ask you to apply for one or the other for interview purposes though you can take biological courses as a physicist (but not the other way around unless you have A level physics). With your subjects you should have a completely free choice

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they ask you to apply for one or the other for interview purposes though you can take biological courses as a physicist (but not the other way around unless you have A level physics). With your subjects you should have a completely free choice
    But you don't have biology A level so remember that if you apply to do BioNatSci you'll probably get asked biology related questions in the interview even though they only require chemistry! Best to do physNatSci and then take biological options if you're interested such as cells or even geology! You can swap over when you get there.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.