I want to get a new phone but I'm on contract :@ Watch

This Honest
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
So, after 3 months into my contract with 3, I am unhappy with my phone

It's the samsung (can't remember it's name ) and it's on £15 a month for a 24 month contract

24 months?! I tried to reason with it but it's gone too far

Can I buy out the contract, or I am stuck with is for 2 years :eek:

I'm just really unhappy and after seeing my mate's new motorola andriod which is also £15 a month, it's way better than mines.

Suggestions?
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by This Honest)
So, after 3 months into my contract with 3, I am unhappy with my phone

It's the samsung (can't remember it's name ) and it's on £15 a month for a 24 month contract

24 months?! I tried to reason with it but it's gone too far

Can I buy out the contract, or I am stuck with is for 2 years :eek:

I'm just really unhappy and after seeing my mate's new motorola andriod which is also £15 a month, it's way better than mines.

Suggestions?
You can buy out, but it will cost you the entire outstanding amount on the contract. Your best bet would probably be to sell off your current handset and put towards buying an unlocked phone of your choice, then putting in your current SIM card [=
lucas13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
sell the contract to someone
This Honest
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
You can buy out, but it will cost you the entire outstanding amount on the contract. Your best bet would probably be to sell off your current handset and put towards buying an unlocked phone of your choice, then putting in your current SIM card [=
Thanks for your reply.

So what you mean is, I would sell my phone e.g on ebay, but I will keep my SIM card. Once I have sold it, I will buy a new phone contract and insert my old SIM card in there but aren't I still liable for the costs of my old SIM card and new one too?
This Honest
Rep:
?
(Original post by lucas13)
sell the contract to someone
Ebay?
minimarshmallow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks for your reply.

So what you mean is, I would sell my phone e.g on ebay, but I will keep my SIM card. Once I have sold it, I will buy a new phone contract and insert my old SIM card in there but aren't I still liable for the costs of my old SIM card and new one too?
No, you sell the handset and then just buy a new unlocked (Carphone Warehouse ones are all unlocked unless they're 'exclusive to [insert network here]') pay as you go handset and put the contract SIM into it.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks for your reply.

By buy a new phone, I meant to buy the handset outright on PAYG. It will be pretty expensive depending on what you go for, but it will be a damn sight cheaper than buying out of this contract then starting on a new one!
This Honest
Rep:
?
(Original post by minimarshmallow)
No, you sell the handset and then just buy a new unlocked (Carphone Warehouse ones are all unlocked unless they're 'exclusive to [insert network here]') pay as you go handset and put the contract SIM into it.
Okay, so I would sell my handsent but keep my SIM card.
I will buy a new phone (what do mean by unlocked?) and I will insert my sim card in there
so i will still pay £15 a month
lucas13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
have a look on ebay
This Honest
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
By buy a new phone, I meant to buy the handset outright on PAYG. It will be pretty expensive depending on what you go for, but it will be a damn sight cheaper than buying out of this contract then starting on a new one!
Okay, but once I sell my phone, why won't I still be liable for the costs?
:hmmmm: PAYG, well tbh, I'd rather have that than this contract :indiff:

Sorry, I'm not good with technology
minimarshmallow
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Okay, so I would sell my handsent but keep my SIM card.
I will buy a new phone (what do mean by unlocked?) and I will insert my sim card in there
so i will still pay £15 a month
Unlocked just means you can put any network SIM into it. A lot of phones are locked to a certain network because that network wants you to pay them.
You pay the one off price for the pay as you go handset and then just get rid of the SIM card that comes with it and put your network SIM card in it.
You continue to pay for your contract the same as you were before.

People do it all the time if their contract phone breaks.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Okay, but once I sell my phone, why won't I still be liable for the costs?
:hmmmm: PAYG, well tbh, I'd rather have that than this contract :indiff:

Sorry, I'm not good with technology
Yes, but you'd use that contract sim in the new phone, so you'd be making use of the text/data/calls allowance you're currently paying for, just in a different device.
This Honest
Rep:
?
Unlocked just means you can put any network SIM into it. A lot of phones are locked to a certain network because that network wants you to pay them.
You pay the one off price for the pay as you go handset and then just get rid of the SIM card that comes with it and put your network SIM card in it.
You continue to pay for your contract the same as you were before.

People do it all the time if their contract phone breaks.

(Original post by Gofre)
Yes, but you'd use that contract sim in the new phone, so you'd be making use of the text/data/calls allowance you're currently paying for, just in a different device.
Thank you guys for your help.

I went to a t-mobile shop today and they said that their t mobile phones won't work with 3.
Do you know any network/phones that is compatible with 3?
minimarshmallow
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I went to a t-mobile shop today and they said that their t mobile phones won't work with 3.
You need to get them from Carphone Warehouse or Phones 4U or somewhere like that.
The only way you'll get them from a network store that is compatible with your 3 SIM is if you go to a 3 store.

Like I said earlier, all of the phones at the Carphone Warehouse are unlocked unless they say 'exclusive to [insert network]'. Obviously if the network it is exclusive to is 3, then you're fine.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Check with third party sellers like Carphone Warehouse and Phones4U, they typically sell their PAYG handsets unlocked. Handsets from other carriers can be unlocked too, they'll just charge you £10-£15 for the privilege to do, so you can factor that into your budget.
This Honest
Rep:
?
You need to get them from Carphone Warehouse or Phones 4U or somewhere like that.
The only way you'll get them from a network store that is compatible with your 3 SIM is if you go to a 3 store.

Like I said earlier, all of the phones at the Carphone Warehouse are unlocked unless they say 'exclusive to [insert network]'. Obviously if the network it is exclusive to is 3, then you're fine.

(Original post by Gofre)
Check with third party sellers like Carphone Warehouse and Phones4U, they typically sell their PAYG handsets unlocked. Handsets from other carriers can be unlocked too, they'll just charge you £10-£15 for the privilege to do, so you can factor that into your budget.
Thank you for your speedy re-assuring responses guys!
Tahliaglazier
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am not happy with my phone and want to get a better one can I buy an unlocked phone and put my current sim in there ? Will my contract be on my new phone ?
ChocCheesecake
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tahliaglazier)
I am not happy with my phone and want to get a better one can I buy an unlocked phone and put my current sim in there ? Will my contract be on my new phone ?
... this thread is over 6 years old. I'd start a new thread
Jadeyy23
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can i use my vodafone contract sim in an unlocked Iphone 7 plus
Jadeyy23
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can i use my vodafone contract sim in an unlocked iphone 7 plus
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (304)
65.8%
No (158)
34.2%

Watched Threads