Same-sex marriage is a threat to humanity - The pope

Watch
TheDAP
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Benedict said Monday that gay marriage was one of several threats to the traditional family that undermined "the future of humanity itself."

The pope made some of his strongest comments against gay marriage in a new year address to the diplomatic corps accredited to the Vatican in which he touched on some economic and social issues facing the world today.

He told diplomats from nearly 180 countries that the education of children needed proper "settings" and that "pride of place goes to the family, based on the marriage of a man and a woman."

"This is not a simple social convention, but rather the fundamental cell of every society. Consequently, policies which undermine the family threaten human dignity and the future of humanity itself," he said.

The Vatican and Catholic officials around the world have protested against moves to legalize gay marriage in Europe and other developed parts of the world.

One leading opponent of gay marriage in the United States is New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan, whom the pope will elevate to cardinal next month.

Dolan fought against gay marriage before it became legal in New York state last June, and in September he sent a letter to President Barack Obama criticizing his administration's decision not to support a federal ban on gay marriage.

In that letter Dolan, who holds the powerful post of president of the U.S. Bishops Conference, said such a policy could "precipitate a national conflict between church and state of enormous proportions."

The Roman Catholic Church, which has some 1.3 billion members worldwide, teaches that while homosexual tendencies are not sinful, homosexual acts are, and that children should grow up in a traditional family with a mother and a father.

"The family unit is fundamental for the educational process and for the development both of individuals and states; hence there is a need for policies which promote the family and aid social cohesion and dialogue," Benedict told the diplomats.

Gay marriage is legal in a number of European countries, including Spain and the Netherlands.
http://m.yahoo.com/w/news_america/ga...us&.lang=en-us
*Rouge*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The pope seriously needs to stop getting his knickers in a twist over gay marriage and quit telling people how they should live their lives.
Retrodiction
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Baha, this senile quack just doesn't know what non-issue to wet his incontinence pad over next.
angelbones
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, the pope also said that condoms weren't effective at preventing the AIDS crisis in Africa...........
DH-Biker
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The sooner this cretin keeps his ****ing nose out of people's individual rights, the better the Catholic Church will look.

Who is he to dismiss other people's happiness?

Frankly, if his faith in God is put behind 3" of bullet-proof glass, he has little right to say he's spreading God's Will.
NB_ide
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by angelbones)
Well, the pope also said that condoms weren't effective at preventing the AIDS crisis in Africa...........
What did he actually say, find it for me and remind yourself.
angelbones
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by NB_ide)
What did he actually say, find it for me and remind yourself.
I am paraphrasing from what I remember here, I haven't slept in a couple of days

Edit: Here you go

Pope Benedict XVI, who is making his first papal visit to Africa, has said that handing out condoms is not the answer in the fight against HIV/Aids.
The pontiff, who preaches marital fidelity and abstinence, said the practice only increased the problem.
NB_ide
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As for whether more gay couples, and devaluing/discouraging conventional family units will change society - well yes, obviously it will/has. That's the whole point. Anyone with a drop of sense really wants to see society changed in that way, though. The m+f family uni represents the old ways and is a broadly negative device, while gay couples and gay interactions are the new way, immensely trendy and to be encouraged from the very earliest age.

We know that being gay isn't entirely genetically determined, and upbringing plays a significant role. We start to indoctrinate children, before they can even walk, that boys should like girls, and vice versa. This kind of entrenched homophobia must go, and thankfully we're winning more victories all the time. Now primary-school children are given education on gay sex and relationships, and encouraged that it is a good thing to try. Just like before they were told m+f is good, try that.

We need to tear down anything that leads to a stable society and firm morals that benefit everyone. Change is coming!
NB_ide
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am paraphrasing from what I remember here, I haven't slept in a couple of days

Edit: Here you go

Pope Benedict XVI, who is making his first papal visit to Africa, has said that handing out condoms is not the answer in the fight against HIV/Aids.
The pontiff, who preaches marital fidelity and abstinence, said the practice only increased the problem.
And do you disagree with his assessment? Do we have data and results that suggest dishing out condoms is actually effective at stemming the spread of HIV/AIDS?

I've heard plenty of people criticise that all-too-obvious approach to tackling the problem, and it gets taken seriously and thought about. There's far more that could be done, and people's behaviour and morals needs to be changed (very difficult). But when the pope says it, it's all LOLOL WHAT A FRUITCAKE HE IS ABSOLUTELY OFF HIS ROCKER LOLOL
chucky.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As for whether more gay couples, and devaluing/discouraging conventional family units will change society - well yes, obviously it will/has. That's the whole point. Anyone with a drop of sense really wants to see society changed in that way, though. The m+f family uni represents the old ways and is a broadly negative device, while gay couples and gay interactions are the new way, immensely trendy and to be encouraged from the very earliest age.

We know that being gay isn't entirely genetically determined, and upbringing plays a significant role. We start to indoctrinate children, before they can even walk, that boys should like girls, and vice versa. This kind of entrenched homophobia must go, and thankfully we're winning more victories all the time. Now primary-school children are given education on gay sex and relationships, and encouraged that it is a good thing to try. Just like before they were told m+f is good, try that.

We need to tear down anything that leads to a stable society and firm morals that benefit everyone. Change is coming!
True say.
angelbones
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
And do you disagree with his assessment? Do we have data and results that suggest dishing out condoms is actually effective at stemming the spread of HIV/AIDS?

I've heard plenty of people criticise that all-too-obvious approach to tackling the problem, and it gets taken seriously and thought about. There's far more that could be done, and people's behaviour and morals needs to be changed (very difficult). But when the pope says it, it's all LOLOL WHAT A FRUITCAKE HE IS ABSOLUTELY OFF HIS ROCKER LOLOL
It's not THE answer, but it is AN answer - any other solution is going to be much more long term. Changing cultural attitudes won't be an overnight thing, and in the meantime, promoting the use of condoms will help.
kingme
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well I'm shocked.
lightburns
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's not his call how other people run their lives. He can think it wrong and sinful, but there shouldn't be laws over it. Just like he should be allowed to practice whatever religious things he wants, despite much of us disagreeing with him, homosexuals should be allowed the same rights as heterosexuals, despite people like the Pope disagreeing with them.
NB_ide
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
promoting the use of condoms will help.
Has it helped so far? I don't know, presumably somebody does.
Sovr'gnChancellor£
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

I take it that this is sarcasm?
SnoochToTheBooch
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
breeding like rabbits is a threat to humanity. anyway, the pope is the head of christianity, therefore nothing he says should be taken seriously. **** the pope.
ArcadiaHouse
Report 9 years ago
John Paul II was so much cooler.
chrisawhitmore
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Has it helped so far? I don't know, presumably somebody does.
Since the church has been promoting fidelity and abstinence for the last 2000 odd years, we can safely say that their idea isn't working. Maybe condoms will be more effective.
chrisawhitmore
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

We have 2000 years of evidence that preaching abstinence is not effective, so why not give condoms a chance. The trouble with taking the difficult but morally superior route is that you kill millions in the process. Rather than continuing to condemn condoms, perhaps he should encourage the moral change but allow that condoms are a reasonable stopgap to prevent the suffering and deaths of generations of africans. Or maybe he could get God to get rid of AIDS.
SweetsAndSugar
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The pope is a ****.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
56.03%
I don't have everything I need (255)
43.97%

Watched Threads