The Student Room Group

Physics 2.2 degree disaster?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jaime1986
That sounds about right. I'm on a PGCE now and so many science 'PGCErs' have quit so far as they applied for the course not having a clue what teaching was about and most of them had no idea about the work that needed to be done outside of the 9-3 teaching hours.
Competition is fierce in some PGCE subjects, but not so in others, meaning that people without real school experience get on to the course because they can't think of anything else to do.
The workload was what put me off becoming a teacher. That and I'm really not that good with children. I think it could be really useful if I persue an academic career though.

The workload is insane. In my current job I usually work 8am-6:30pm but the pace is fine and I don't take work home with me. During the PGCE it was more... 7am-4pm followed by 4 hours of planning at home. I'm not by any stretch lazy but I was VERY tired for most of last year.
Original post by Nitebot
How long ago did you do your PGCE? I thought competition was supposed to be fierce to get on the programmes these days. The OU PGCE is one their few courses where you have to be interviewed.
There are probably only ~5 or 6 places where PGCE science courses are hard to get onto. Outside of Maths/Science you will likely find it to be very competitive, but when I had my interview I spent a week preparing for it, had visual props, rehearsed and so on... and I don't know why I bothered. There were people there who had an awful interview (astonishingly awful) and got through. Maybe it was the 3rd class degree in forensics that bumped their points up?

Oh and I did it last year.
Original post by nohomo
Brian Cox is presentable, is a good presenter, received first class B.S.c. and MPhil degrees in physics, and a PhD in particle physics from the University of Manchester, and already had lots of experience in media and science jobs before the BBC took him up for his show:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Cox_(physicist)
He goes to show what a soft voice, good appearance and ability to make information accessible can do to what is otherwise a very average researcher. Even I understand what he's talking about... and I'm Biologist in no small part because I found physics to be abstract and really bloody weird and confusing.
Reply 42
Original post by Llamageddon

There are probably only ~5 or 6 places where PGCE science courses are hard to get onto. Outside of Maths/Science you will likely find it to be very competitive, but when I had my interview I spent a week preparing for it, had visual props, rehearsed and so on... and I don't know why I bothered. There were people there who had an awful interview (astonishingly awful) and got through. Maybe it was the 3rd class degree in forensics that bumped their points up?

Oh and I did it last year.

Thanks for that. Very interesting.
Original post by Nitebot
How long ago did you do your PGCE? I thought competition was supposed to be fierce to get on the programmes these days. The OU PGCE is one their few courses where you have to be interviewed.

I don't think competition is as fierce as people make out tbh, one of my friends got on a course 2 years ago with no teaching experience, a 3rd class degree in sociology and english lit from a low ranking uni, and poor A level and GCSE results. She's now a primary school teaching assistant because after a year working as a primary school teacher she got demoted, and hasn't been able to find a teaching position since. She also cannot distinguish between too and to, their, they're and there, and doesn't know her left from right (no joke!).

Another friend of mine got on a PGCE for secondary school ICT, he had a 2.1 in ICT from a very very low ranking uni, poor A level and GCSE results and is horrendous with English. He's failed his key skill tests (I don't know the exact name of them) in English, Numeracy and ICT (he has a degree in it!) 3 times in a row. So I really don't think competition is that fierce tbh.
Original post by laura130490
I don't think competition is as fierce as people make out tbh, one of my friends got on a course 2 years ago with no teaching experience, a 3rd class degree in sociology and english lit from a low ranking uni, and poor A level and GCSE results. She's now a primary school teaching assistant because after a year working as a primary school teacher she got demoted, and hasn't been able to find a teaching position since. She also cannot distinguish between too and to, their, they're and there, and doesn't know her left from right (no joke!).

Another friend of mine got on a PGCE for secondary school ICT, he had a 2.1 in ICT from a very very low ranking uni, poor A level and GCSE results and is horrendous with English. He's failed his key skill tests (I don't know the exact name of them) in English, Numeracy and ICT (he has a degree in it!) 3 times in a row. So I really don't think competition is that fierce tbh.

Wow, where did she do her PGCE? I thought that almost all primary PGCEs only took on people with a 2:2minimum.
Original post by jaime1986
Wow, where did she do her PGCE? I thought that almost all primary PGCEs only took on people with a 2:2minimum.

At Birmingham City Uni. Yeah this was about 2 years ago now, so I think they accepted people with 3rd class degrees then.
Reply 46
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
a mate of mine with a 2.2 is now a school physics teacher.

Are you trying to make the OP commit suicide?
Original post by nohomo
LOL because poor degree = retard right?!

There are loads of reasons why someone could do poorly in a degree, and they don't all come down to retardation.

I think it's fair to say that any normal, decent person who got the top grade in A level maths and physics could teach A level students to reach their potential in their A level exams.

Good qualifications don't imply that you'd make a great teacher. A 2:2 graduate with respect for their pupils and an interest in educating them will make a better teacher than someone who has succeeded to a very high level in their education so feels that educating A level students in "trivial" stuff is below them.

Obviously not all people who succeed in their education are stuck up, and not all 2:2 graduates would make great teachers. I'm just pointing out that it's unfair to write someone off on one thing that they've done badly.

I'm really very sorry, I wasn't even talking about the OP. I was referring to the person who said her mates who can barely read/write are now teachers, despite failing GCSE's/A-Levels and getting a 3rd from a crap uni in an easy degree.

I'd never belittle the OP like that, who is clearly bright and has a good degree/great A-Levels/great GCSEs. So what if she dropped a few measly % in some dull courses she didn't bother with? I did myself, big deal lol.

The difference between a 2.1/2.2 is little, a few measly %. It's easy to get bored of some courses and do little prep. To be clear, I have a 2.2 in Thereotical Physics from Imperial, so I wasn't belittling the OP. Degree class is about graft, not ability. I know this!

Sorry again. :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nohomo
I'm sorry

Perhaps I should have asked you to clarify before I went off on a rant.

No hard feelings I hope

And I agree. You really shouldn't feel bad about dropping a few % in some boring courses, and neither should the OP.

It's ok. In hindsight, we should feel bad for being lazy and not perservering through the grind. The problem is, I'm great at some courses in Physics(/Maths) and couldn't be bothered with others, yet degree class doesn't reflect that. Then again, one can say that regarding degree, a-level, gcse, anything, etc.

In the end, nobody really cares ... sigh. :tongue:
Original post by Mbob
Many will following a good performance in a Master's degree, especially given the difficulty in recruiting candidates for Physics PhDs (other than the top few Universities).

For most scholarships you need at least a 2:1.
Reply 50
As I said earlier, the 2.2 probably isn't a massive disaster that people are making it out to be, even in this day and age. It might write off some grad scheme applications but the 2.1 autofilter is usually a way of simply cutting down the truly absurd number of applicants these usually get, but it is generally an indication of the perceived calibre of the desired prospective employee.

Despite it being an option I wouldn't rush into teacher training for want of a better alternative, however. I've got a few friends who are qualified teachers and it was a tough and rocky road getting there, with it often feeling hopeless and pointless. However, they made it and love it so you might too :smile:

Original post by nohomo
LOL because poor degree = retard right?

Actually, it's "bad at maths = retard".

You can have a double PhD in Ancient History, hold the Sir Roger de Coverley Thingmajig Chair at de Havilland College Oxford, hold an Honorary Professor title at Harvard and be the world's leading expert on Anglo-Saxon housing construction with millions of book sales, but you can't fire through an SHL maths test in under 5 minutes without a calculator or perform triple integration while asleep and drunk? LOL UNWORTHY THICKO :colonhash:

Sorry, just wanted to get that off my chest. The whole world and his mum's dead cat judge "intelligence" purely on mathematical ability.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ch0llima
Actually, it's "bad at maths = retard".

You can have a double PhD in Ancient History, hold the Sir Roger de Coverley Thingmajig Chair at de Havilland College Oxford, hold an Honorary Professor title at Harvard and be the world's leading expert on Anglo-Saxon housing construction with millions of book sales, but you can't fire through an SHL maths test in under 5 minutes without a calculator or perform triple integration while asleep and drunk? LOL THICKO :colonhash:

Sorry, just wanted to get that off my chest.

Coming from a Physicist/Mathmo (of sorts :rolleyes:), I've met many people supposedly 'good' at Maths, who are really only grafters and pretty thick rote learners. The skill and creativity involved in writing essays, with clever arguments and strong analysis etc is often higher, IMO. I do agree the obsession with Maths in the uk is a little over the top. Mainly since the teaching is so dire, lol.
Original post by laura130490
At Birmingham City Uni. Yeah this was about 2 years ago now, so I think they accepted people with 3rd class degrees then.
People got into Durham for maths with 3rds.

Put simply it's a lot easier to get jobs as a maths/ science graduate with a 2:i/1st than as a humanities student and there's a lot of funding for post grad, not to mention that there's more demand in teaching and less supply.
Original post by Llamageddon
People got into Durham for maths with 3rds.

Put simply it's a lot easier to get jobs as a maths/ science graduate with a 2:i/1st than as a humanities student and there's a lot of funding for post grad, not to mention that there's more demand in teaching and less supply.

Yeah one of my friends on my course (biomed) is trying to get onto a teaching course for secondary school chemistry and she's been told she shouldn't have any problems getting accepted because chemistry teachers are in demand (helps that she's averaging a 1st as well).
Reply 54
Original post by DynamicSyngery
Grad schemes that have 2.1 requirements automatically filter 2.2s and below. It's done by a computer, there is no human reading the application and deciding that actually physics 2.2 is better than media studies 2.1 etc. etc.

It's a good point that the Civil Service only asks for a 2.2. The others are pretty much no-go.

If your interested in the grad scheme route, have you have thought about the nuclear industry? Magnox grad scheme only requires a 2.2 and possibly nucleargraduates scheme aswell.

A 2.2 in physics is amazing, I don't think I would have even survived 1st year of it :smile:
Original post by lochnessy
A 2.2 in physics is amazing, I don't think I would have even survived 1st year of it :smile:

It's really not. If you had a passion for it, you probably would do well. A 2.2 is handy bog roll. :smile:

LOL no its not
I got a 2:2 in Physics, did a funded MSc in Meteorology, got a funded PhD in Astrophysics, travelled the world for free and am now working in a great job earning a good salary and loving it.

A 2:2 is only a barrier if you let it be. Decide what you want to do first. Then when you know what you want, go for it. Either do a Masters or just apply for jobs.

More jobs than you would think accept a 2:2 as they arent just looking for 'book-smart' people but well rounded people.

You just need to decide what you want and make it happen.
If your interested in the grad scheme route, have you have thought about the nuclear industry? Magnox grad scheme only requires a 2.2 and possibly nucleargraduates scheme aswell.

would you want someone with a 2.2 running a nuke station
I would suggest having a look at actuarial science, it involves knowing a lot about economics, businesses, finance, and accountancy but unlike most finance related careers it involves a lot more advanced maths. I think most graduate schemes for Actuarial Science have a minimum entry requirement of 2:1 but some accept a 2:2, but once you get onto a graduate scheme you start getting paid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending