The Student Room Group

Spontanious decision to apply to uni (for maybe not the natural reasons?!)

hello all..

i left college last year (got a triple distinction in uniformed public services {360 ucas points} and ironically im now a postman (which i guess actually, is not that ironic after all).

anyway, i was thinking about applying to uni (i realise the deadline is sunday) - my first question is, if i write up a personal statement today/tomorrow, get a tutor from college to do whatever he has to do - is this realistically possible?

my reasons for applying arent to get a degree and become some famous rich man; i want to go because i see photos on fb and it looks like an absolute barrel of laughs! it looks so fun! also atm i cant meet any people my age, the only social place to do this is clubbing, and thats hardly a way [where you actually contact them again after!]. obviously i'd get the work done etc, but i dont even know what degree to take; or where to go? literally if someone said a course + degree where i could get in with 360 ucas points i'd apply for it haha.

so yeah, quite odd really. i just feel work is a bit bleh and want to be with people my own age for a bit; "living the student lifestyle"

some advice would be great! :smile:
Reply 1
It's possible. Maybe.
But it's not fair on your tutors who have to do this last minute. Also getting a reference can take ages, I think you've underestimated this.
Plus, completely the wrong reasons to go to uni! You might end up regretting it. There's no point getting into a mountain of debt if you don't plan on working hard to get a good degree!
But hey, bit of spontaneity never hurt anyone!
In the time you have I doubt that you'll have time to contact and get a response from your tutor and that they'll have time to write you a reference, remember that they may be busy with last minute applicants applying with the college and probably won't be able to spare time for a last minute application from an ex student.

Also have you really thought about this? Which Unis would you apply for? What do you want to study? You'll have to take a loan, is all the money you'll owe really be worth it?

Plus Uni isn't all partying, unless you want to come out with a low degree classification (which will hinder job prospects in the future), you do have to work and if your subject isn't something you have much of a drive for you could find this a struggle.

And lastly, you have a good job already, in this climate that is much to be thankful for. Many, many Graduates are unemployed at the moment are will be for the foreseeable future. A randomly chosen degree from a random Uni you haven't thought much about to which you are applying just to party won't help you much to get a job. Also it's unlikely that you could get your old job back once you have degree, then you'd be overqualified but under qualified for most graduate jobs.

But to answer another question, yes there are courses that want 360 ucas points but they may not be ones you like or from Unis you like.

Going to Uni is a big decision to make, I say don't make such a snap decision. Stay where you are for a year, take your time to think about your choice of course and Uni and what you'd actually gain from Uni. And if you still want it, apply next year, on the plus side, you'll have another year of working and saving up under your belt do you'll be better of financially than most students.
Reply 3
Hi

My advice would be to go for it. I moved away from home and met loads of fantastic people and had a ball. Granted, I didn't do any work and didn't end up with a degree, but for life experience and building confidence it was the best thing I've ever done. Just do some work though and don't do what I did.

The main point about having a degree, unless you want to go into something specific like medicine, is to show that you're capable of working so really you need a 2:1 at least if you want to do much with it afterwards. The first time I went to uni I did accounting because I thought I needed it to become an accountant. It was so boring and after I'd left I found out that accountancy firms would prefer someone with a 2:1 in history than a 2:2 in accounting. This time round I've picked a subject that I love (history) and I'm doing far better than I would have had I stuck to accounting simply because I enjoy it. Something like English is quite good for applying for jobs afterwards as well if you enjoy that.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Reply 4
Original post by ILikeToEat
It's possible. Maybe.
But it's not fair on your tutors who have to do this last minute. Also getting a reference can take ages, I think you've underestimated this.
Plus, completely the wrong reasons to go to uni! You might end up regretting it. There's no point getting into a mountain of debt if you don't plan on working hard to get a good degree!
But hey, bit of spontaneity never hurt anyone!

Original post by Historophilia
In the time you have I doubt that you'll have time to contact and get a response from your tutor and that they'll have time to write you a reference, remember that they may be busy with last minute applicants applying with the college and probably won't be able to spare time for a last minute application from an ex student.

Also have you really thought about this? Which Unis would you apply for? What do you want to study? You'll have to take a loan, is all the money you'll owe really be worth it?

Plus Uni isn't all partying, unless you want to come out with a low degree classification (which will hinder job prospects in the future), you do have to work and if your subject isn't something you have much of a drive for you could find this a struggle.

And lastly, you have a good job already, in this climate that is much to be thankful for. Many, many Graduates are unemployed at the moment are will be for the foreseeable future. A randomly chosen degree from a random Uni you haven't thought much about to which you are applying just to party won't help you much to get a job. Also it's unlikely that you could get your old job back once you have degree, then you'd be overqualified but under qualified for most graduate jobs.

But to answer another question, yes there are courses that want 360 ucas points but they may not be ones you like or from Unis you like.

Going to Uni is a big decision to make, I say don't make such a snap decision. Stay where you are for a year, take your time to think about your choice of course and Uni and what you'd actually gain from Uni. And if you still want it, apply next year, on the plus side, you'll have another year of working and saving up under your belt do you'll be better of financially than most students.

thanks for the replies guys, this goes to both of you..

i was just looking on ucas, they say applications received after the deadline will still be sent, but the unis dont have to consider me.. i'd work hard, heck i battled all nighters getting that triple distinction! (i got the academic achievement award for my year in college!)

regarding debt - i read thats its not as bad as people make out.. isnt like £2 a week or something stupid?! (when you earn over £21k) my tutor, who is now deputy head of school is still paying back his student loan.. and hes still also a student!) where to go and what to do... i dont know, i'd put down 5 unis from bristol onwards and the course.. im not sure.. something simple! i hear travel and tourism is a doddle haha.

yeah thats what i was thinking, it could be said having a poor degree is sometimes worse than having no degree... with job prospects - i wouldnt expect to be getting a better job, im not fussed about that. but i cant exactly not put down i went to uni because then i'd be, as you said, either over employed or under employed for grad jobs.

i'd rather not save up.. all my friends have a student loan.. i want to do the whole living off 8p beans from tesco etc, do the whole living in halls thing. i've got no opinions on unis at all, im only against ones that im in the same county as.

thanks for the replies again; more advice will be good :smile:

Excellent advice. Take a year to think about it and do the job properly, not in a rush.
Reply 6
Original post by nicthalion
Hi

My advice would be to go for it. I moved away from home and met loads of fantastic people and had a ball. Granted, I didn't do any work and didn't end up with a degree, but for life experience and building confidence it was the best thing I've ever done. Just do some work though and don't do what I did.

The main point about having a degree, unless you want to go into something specific like medicine, is to show that you're capable of working so really you need a 2:1 at least if you want to do much with it afterwards. The first time I went to uni I did accounting because I thought I needed it to become an accountant. It was so boring and after I'd left I found out that accountancy firms would prefer someone with a 2:1 in history than a 2:2 in accounting. This time round I've picked a subject that I love (history) and I'm doing far better than I would have had I stuck to accounting simply because I enjoy it. Something like English is quite good for applying for jobs afterwards as well if you enjoy that.

Hope this helps and good luck.

yeah.. school was incredible, looking back i loved it so much! college was full of unbelieveable fun and top quality banter and from what i hear and see on fb - uni looks like a great combination of both.

i just want to be with like minded young people like myself and do those crazy things..!

can you guys advise me on the process please? e.g. is it something like

register on ucas

choose your course

write your personal statement

add the reference from your tutor

apply to the 5 unis

send

?? cheers so much!
Original post by mosmof
thanks for the replies guys, this goes to both of you..

i was just looking on ucas, they say applications received after the deadline will still be sent, but the unis dont have to consider me.. i'd work hard, heck i battled all nighters getting that triple distinction! (i got the academic achievement award for my year in college!)

regarding debt - i read thats its not as bad as people make out.. isnt like £2 a week or something stupid?! (when you earn over £21k) my tutor, who is now deputy head of school is still paying back his student loan.. and hes still also a student!) where to go and what to do... i dont know, i'd put down 5 unis from bristol onwards and the course.. im not sure.. something simple! i hear travel and tourism is a doddle haha.

yeah thats what i was thinking, it could be said having a poor degree is sometimes worse than having no degree... with job prospects - i wouldnt expect to be getting a better job, im not fussed about that. but i cant exactly not put down i went to uni because then i'd be, as you said, either over employed or under employed for grad jobs.

i'd rather not save up.. all my friends have a student loan.. i want to do the whole living off 8p beans from tesco etc, do the whole living in halls thing. i've got no opinions on unis at all, im only against ones that im in the same county as.

thanks for the replies again; more advice will be good :smile:

I take your points, you sound like you have been giving it more thought than it first appeared but I'd still advise that you wait until next UCAS cycle.

Simply from the logistical angle, your college might refuse to do you a reference at this short notice or if they did it may be rushed and not do you any justice, thus being detrimental to your application.

Do have a careful think about your subject, if you're going to study it for three years then you need to have some interest in it! And don't do Travel and Tourism, they are called 'mickey mouse' subjects for a reason. You don't have to do Engineering or anything super serious like that, but take a look at courses like Politics and/or International Relations.

There's a test you can take on UCAS which suggests possible degree choices you might enjoy. I'm not sure what it's called, hopefully someone on here will be able to direct you to the right place, but it could be very useful to you.
Reply 8
Original post by mosmof
i want to go because i see photos on fb and it looks like an absolute barrel of laughs!

That's definitely worth £27,000+
Reply 9
I take your points, you sound like you have been giving it more thought than it first appeared but I'd still advise that you wait until next UCAS cycle.

Simply from the logistical angle, your college might refuse to do you a reference at this short notice or if they did it may be rushed and not do you any justice, thus being detrimental to your application.

Do have a careful think about your subject, if you're going to study it for three years then you need to have some interest in it! And don't do Travel and Tourism, they are called 'mickey mouse' subjects for a reason. You don't have to do Engineering or anything super serious like that, but take a look at courses like Politics and/or International Relations.

There's a test you can take on UCAS which suggests possible degree choices you might enjoy. I'm not sure what it's called, hopefully someone on here will be able to direct you to the right place, but it could be very useful to you.

thanks :smile: well the next ucas cycle would make me be in uni in sept 2013, that is over a year and a half way.. i feel things may be different then. e.g. i've expressed an interest in managent at royal mail, but i've been thinking.. whats the point in making a fair bit of money if it wont make you as happy?

i got/get on well with my tutors at college, one in-particular very much (e.g. got him on fb, non-stop banter over two years when they all found out i had sex with this fat girl in a graveyard {long story/worst 5 mistakes of my life}, just banter non stop about anything possible; i did get the academic achievement award for my year at college so i think they would like to see an application out of the blue frmo me.

yeah i know.. i'd enjoy something crime related i think, something interesting! yeah, i wouldnt want to do something serious - i read about people on here going crazy and slitting their wrists when they dont get 100% on an essay and crap like that, obviously aim high, surely 80 - 85% is good enough?!

i'll have a look for that test, im sure theres more online too.. thanks for your reply :wink:
Original post by mosmof
thanks :smile: well the next ucas cycle would make me be in uni in sept 2013, that is over a year and a half way.. i feel things may be different then. e.g. i've expressed an interest in managent at royal mail, but i've been thinking.. whats the point in making a fair bit of money if it wont make you as happy?

i got/get on well with my tutors at college, one in-particular very much (e.g. got him on fb, non-stop banter over two years when they all found out i had sex with this fat girl in a graveyard {long story/worst 5 mistakes of my life}, just banter non stop about anything possible; i did get the academic achievement award for my year at college so i think they would like to see an application out of the blue frmo me.

yeah i know.. i'd enjoy something crime related i think, something interesting! yeah, i wouldnt want to do something serious - i read about people on here going crazy and slitting their wrists when they dont get 100% on an essay and crap like that, obviously aim high, surely 80 - 85% is good enough?!

i'll have a look for that test, im sure theres more online too.. thanks for your reply :wink:

It's good that you have such a positive relationship with your old college but however much they like you and want to help you out, they simply may not be able to accommodate you time wise.

Do your research and think about it carefully, in the end it's your decision and after all, if you apply and get offers you don't have to take them up (though that would kinda be wasting the UCAS fee money).

Hope it goes well for you, do look into Post Office management though, that would probably be more interesting than being a Postie.

It's the Stamford test and it used to be on the UCAS website, but they'd suspended it a couple of months ago. Don't know if it's up and running again.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
It's the Stamford test and it used to be on the UCAS website, but they'd suspended it a couple of months ago. Don't know if it's up and running again.

Yes that's what I was thinking of, that's a pain, would explain when I couldn't find anything like it on the UCAS site when I looked just now.
Reply 13
Original post by Pheylan

i'd rather be happy, do the things i want to do and love whilst im young, 'get debt'.. and then i'll have the simple life..

money doesnt fase me.. as long as i've got my friends, a home, obviously a bit of cash on the side.. moneys only a number... in debt, not in debt... i'd rather be happy by so much and not regret it.

i've just applied and signed up :smile:

i've always been a fairly spontaneous person :smile: have no regrets and just do it! :smile: the glass is always half full, sometimes; i think it is completely full :smile:
People don't fully understand the concept of debt

You don't repay anything until you earn at least £21,000 -- my parents have took 20 years to gain that salary on their own (not combined) so it may take years till you start re-paying, and even then you only start out at re-paying £2.50 a week

The only disadvantage is, combined with a maintenence loan, this debt will be over your head for a long time and other loans (such as mortgages etc) may be more difficult to get and you'll have more re-payments to make then! Everyone has debt though, don't worry about it!

As for your reasons to going to uni, I'm truly gob-smacked - true, there is a partying/socialising side to it - of course there is. However, you HAVE to put the work in and you need to know what you want to study and why and what your future aspirations are!

Applying to uni just for a partying experience is not worth £27,000 + your maintenence loan...think about it, if you know what you want to study and do in the future though, then cool!
Reply 15
Original post by Pheylan

Except you don't pay that £27,000 all off at one? Its paid in tiny bite size chunks. My sociology teacher was trying to persuade me that going to uni will put in my £50k debt and that Im being brainwashed to be a loyal worker in order to pay back my fees.
Well, NHS are paying for my course and maintenance, so that marxist bitch can **** off. Sorry, I went onto a rant.
Reply 16
is it me or are all the crime related courses full up?

aha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending