The Student Room Group

Just a couple of questions

I'm sorry if this is a silly/obvious question, but I've been homeschooled for most of my teenage years and have no GCSEs, so it's been a long time since I've done exams or anything like this.

The thing is, I'm getting ready to start my A Levels (I'm 18, from home) and I've been browsing the University of Liverpool. I'm not thinking that far ahead, but on one of their entry requirements that I looked at, it said 'A Level offer; AAA'. I know what that means, but further down is states that I need an A level in the subject, which is fine.
What I was wondering was, if I, for example, wanted to study history and needed an A Level, does that mean the other A grades I need can be in anything? I hope I make sense...

My other question is, when do I actually get to apply for any type of university? I know a lot of people apply before they even take the exams, going on predicted results, but I wont be able to do that. Does that mean there will be less of a chance for me? Or do I have to wait another year (I'll be doing them next year) in order for me to be in time with everyone else? I already feel crappy about starting them later than everyone else.
I hope I make sense.

Thank you in advance!
Original post by Salla123
I'm sorry if this is a silly/obvious question, but I've been homeschooled for most of my teenage years and have no GCSEs, so it's been a long time since I've done exams or anything like this.

The thing is, I'm getting ready to start my A Levels (I'm 18, from home) and I've been browsing the University of Liverpool. I'm not thinking that far ahead, but on one of their entry requirements that I looked at, it said 'A Level offer; AAA'. I know what that means, but further down is states that I need an A level in the subject, which is fine.
What I was wondering was, if I, for example, wanted to study history and needed an A Level, does that mean the other A grades I need can be in anything? I hope I make sense...

My other question is, when do I actually get to apply for any type of university? I know a lot of people apply before they even take the exams, going on predicted results, but I wont be able to do that. Does that mean there will be less of a chance for me? Or do I have to wait another year (I'll be doing them next year) in order for me to be in time with everyone else? I already feel crappy about starting them later than everyone else.
I hope I make sense.

Thank you in advance!

Yes the other grades can be in any other A-Level but some uni's don't count General studies so just check up on that on the specific course page

People start applying to uni after they have finished they get their AS results exams which is the end of year 12 because schools use those for predictions
Yes, if it's only stated that it wants the main course subject as an a level, the other 2 can be anything (you may want to go for complimentary subjects though).

You apply through UCAS the school year that you will gain the qualifications at the end of. If you are doing your A2 at the end of next year and will recieve your overall results in August 2013, you would apply from september 2012. If you will be recieving A2 results in August 2014, you would apply from september 2013.

Don't worry about age, a lot of people take gap years or have resat years or college etc :smile:
Original post by Salla123

I hope I make sense.

Thank you in advance!

If the only specified subject is History at A-level to get onto the course, the other two subjects can be in anything. It would be ideal if the other subjects were linked to the university course, but not essential.

The UCAS application cycle starts in mid-September each year, and the deadline for applications to definitely be considered is January 15, so you have about 4 months to fill your application in and send it off.

There is a separate procedure for applicants outside college/sixth form who have been homeschooled or are returning to education from time out, if you check the UCAS website regarding individual applicants.

UCAS Apply step-by-step guide
FAQs - scroll down to 'Applying as an individual'

If you are hoping to apply for 2012 entry you've missed the boat this year really because the deadline is this Sunday, but if you're asking now I'm assuming you want to go for 2013/14 entry. As long as you follow the steps I don't see why you would have to wait until you actually have your results to get offers, the universities will see that you have been homeschooled and won't have predicted grades by tutors.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Yes the other A levels can be in anything - I'd pick something you enjoy though.
I would check if your course requires any GCSEs as you might have to take English/Maths before they will accept you with the A levels anyways
Yes your other A-levels can be any subjects (apart from sometimes General Studies) but you should be aware that some courses prefer certain subjects and a lot of universities do see a difference between some subjects (i.e some subjects are considered 'soft' and unis normally prefer 'traditional' subjects) but remember to take the A-level subjects that you enjoy! :smile:
Reply 6
your a levels can be in any subject unless specified, usually people apply at the start of upper sixth, ie your last year before 15th of jan for most subjects or earlier for oxbridge or medicine. You can apply after you've got your a levels but that means you have to take a gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest