Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Official Nottingham 2012 Firmers!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by KatieTheFish
Thanks, well done on your offer too :smile: It was really impressive, they did a kind of mini taster lecture on gay rights which was really interesting and the lecturer was really good so that was reassuring to know that I liked the teaching style, at least from that one lecturer. The other lecturers who did the introduction also seemed really nice and they were really helpful with any questions that people had. There just seemed to be a really nice, friendly atmosphere in both the law department and the entire university. The campus is absolutely gorgeous as well, which probably swayed me quite a lot. :colondollar: Are you going to an applicant open day?

Sounds awesome! I did watch a few videos on the law school web page, and the lecturers seem incredibly enthusiastic, which for me, is a major selling point!
I'm going to the open day at the end of this month - you going to bother coming?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Black_Jack
Sounds awesome! I did watch a few videos on the law school web page, and the lecturers seem incredibly enthusiastic, which for me, is a major selling point!
I'm going to the open day at the end of this month - you going to bother coming?

My dad wants to see it because I went with my mum last time so I'm going to one in March, plus I fancy having another look at the accommodation and stuff like that!
Firmed Computer Science with AI :smile:
I'm going to visit on the 29th and then have to decide whether Notts or Bristol will be my firm (for Law). I feel far too young to be making so many important life decisions.
Original post by aimlessinwonder
I'm going to visit on the 29th and then have to decide whether Notts or Bristol will be my firm (for Law). I feel far too young to be making so many important life decisions.

I was in a similar position to you in that I've got offers for Law (with French) from both Nottingham and Bristol and didn't know which to firm but I'm pretty much set on Nottingham now. I think I always prefered Nottingham but Bristol is such a good university that it kind of feels wrong to turn them down but I guess there isn't much difference in reputation between the two anyway. Where are you leaning towards at the moment?
Original post by Black_Jack

Any links for those videos :smile: Probably not going to firm/insure Nottingham, but would be nice to see them!
Original post by KatieTheFish
I was in a similar position to you in that I've got offers for Law (with French) from both Nottingham and Bristol and didn't know which to firm but I'm pretty much set on Nottingham now. I think I always prefered Nottingham but Bristol is such a good university that it kind of feels wrong to turn them down but I guess there isn't much difference in reputation between the two anyway. Where are you leaning towards at the moment?

I was leaning towards Bristol, but the more I look at Nottingham online and such, the more i'm unsure. They both have their pros and cons and are both very different, so I have no idea. I'm hoping the visit day will make my mind up. I've decided that whatever happens, i'm replying to my offers before March 1st.
Reply 127
Original post by Tsunami2011
Any links for those videos :smile: Probably not going to firm/insure Nottingham, but would be nice to see them!

Go on the uni website, then find the site for the school of law, then click on the videos tab on the side. One of the is 18 mins long! Very insightful though :smile:
Original post by Bea492
Go on the uni website, then find the site for the school of law, then click on the videos tab on the side. One of the is 18 mins long! Very insightful though :smile:

I don't think that's quite true to be honest. It's the minority who have the mentality of 'top six are bust' That 'target' uni ethos is only relevant to investment banking, so unless the person in question is interested in banking, then I doubt her prospects will be affected much. Also, Durham isn't actually a 'target' it's on the same scale as Nottingham for banking.

It's not Economics. It's Law, and Nottingham is one of the top law schools in the country, so If I did choose to go to Nottingham, I doubt I'd be doing myself much harm. it'd probably only be my insurance anyway. Are LSE/Warwick really seen as considerably superior to Nottingham? I'm not sure.

I'm going to be studying Law at Nottingham. I'm currently doing a Gap Year with Pinsent Masons, who are an international law firm. I can tell you that going to Nottingham isn't going to harm you at all. I had the same worries last year, having been rejected by Oxford, that no big law firm would want me if I went to Nottingham. Having worked for a big law firm, I can tell you that couldn't be further from the truth!
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
I agree, it is only relevant to IB, not just IB, but a few other related fields also. I'm hoping to enter finance, possibly IB, so Warwick would give me a guaranteed shot at a job at the end of my degree/masters. Yeah you're right on the Durham point, sorry my fault.

Warwick is considerably only for Maths (by miles) as is LSE, althoug Notts is not too far behind for Economics at all. Nottingham has one of the best economic departments in the country. Warwick isn't great for Law but LSE would give you an egde, one of my best friends did a two week work experience at Pincent Masons where he learnt about their firm and also increased his knowledge of the Magic Circle, the top law firms who recruit selectively, give you an advantage coming from LSE/Oxbridge. Glad to hear you won't be firming Nottingham if your plan is to go into Law.

I totally disagree with this. I have been working with Pinsent Masons since September on a Gap Year Scheme and they have graduates from all Universities. Yes there are Oxbridge/LSE graduates, but there are also lots of graduates from Sheffield, Liverpool, Nottingham, Leeds, Newcastle etc. etc.
Original post by LizAnn
Firmed for Law. :smile:

Me too :smile: what accommodation are you going to apply for?
Original post by lackingincapacity
I totally disagree with this. I have been working with Pinsent Masons since September on a Gap Year Scheme and they have graduates from all Universities. Yes there are Oxbridge/LSE graduates, but there are also lots of graduates from Sheffield, Liverpool, Nottingham, Leeds, Newcastle etc. etc.

Pincent Masons isn't Magic Circle.
Pincent Masons isn't Magic Circle.

No but they are the 12th largest law firm in the UK, top 75 worldwide with offices in Dubai, Singapore and China. Just saying...
No but they are the 12th largest law firm in the UK, top 75 worldwide with offices in Dubai, Singapore and China. Just saying...

Fair enough, bare in mind only the top 4 in the UK are Magic Circle anyway. And your argument isn't really valid at all as I was only referring to Magic Circle firms. A good friend on mine did work exp at Pinsent Masons also, he said it was fantastic and they do take other university students, from alot of them, such as Nottingham.
Fair enough, bare in mind only the top 4 in the UK are Magic Circle anyway. And your argument isn't really valid at all as I was only referring to Magic Circle firms. A good friend on mine did work exp at Pinsent Masons also, he said it was fantastic and they do take other university students, from alot of them, such as Nottingham.

Well usually the top 5 (Allen & Overy, Clifford Chance, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Linklaters and Slaughter & May) are informally described as the Magic Circle firms, but who am I to argue with such an obvious expert!
Well usually the top 5 (Allen & Overy, Clifford Chance, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Linklaters and Slaughter & May) are informally described as the Magic Circle firms, but who am I to argue with such an obvious expert!

I'm not an expert, I'm just saying your argument is invalid.

Its actually five mate, but I think we've cleared this up already. Nottingham is excellent for Law, and will set you nicely, and is only behind Oxbridge/LSE and UCL in terms of being on the radar of Magic circle firms.
Its actually five mate, but I think we've cleared this up already. Nottingham is excellent for Law, and will set you nicely, and is only behind Oxbridge/LSE and UCL in terms of being on the radar of Magic circle firms.

My bad, and yeah, he's the one who's being picky! :p:
Reply 139
Anyone going to the Law Open day next week Wednesday?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending