The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology Unit 1 - 12th January 2012

How did you guys find it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
simplez :smile:
the zorse was funny :')
I *think* I'm allowed to ask this.

This is purely out of curiosity since I sat my GCSEs in 2007 - I was wondering what topics the paper actually covered? It's been so long since I sat them I expect that the syllabus has changed quite a lot since then. When I sat my GCSEs there weren't any multiple choice questions, for example lol.

Hope the exam went well for you OP :smile:
Reply 3
omg, I absolutely loved it, you don't understand how easy it was for me. I supposed it's because I revised for a good few weeks. I was smiling throughout it and silently giggling to myself cause I was so happy I understood the exam! Some of the questions on it, I had answered as practice at home! i cant explain in words how gracious I am! :smile::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 4
The zorse was hillarious but i put 23 chromosomes in one of the questions by accident, damn:frown:
Reply 5
I found it alright, it was quite easy. I think I got the question with biomass wrong though. How did you guys draw it?
And when do the result come out?
Reply 6
yeh, i found myself having a contented smile throughout. All the questions had been in another paper but just re worded. I am quite confident i got around an A but maybe higher maybe lower, im not sure when they come back but my teacher said maybe march-ish. what did you guys put for the second to last question, the one about one fact that didnt agree with the statement? i said something about wales and how they are oddly spread. :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by blackjenny85
I found it alright, it was quite easy. I think I got the question with biomass wrong though. How did you guys draw it?
And when do the result come out?

I just drew a pyramid and labelled it. I don't think you needed a certain area or anything or they would have given us graph paper.

I didn't get to finish the carbon cycle as I thought I'd come back to it:frown:
Reply 8
17th march- results apparently
and the only slightly taxing question was the one on the rotting bean plant and the carbon cycle
Reply 9
Original post by grammar12
yeh, i found myself having a contented smile throughout. All the questions had been in another paper but just re worded. I am quite confident i got around an A but maybe higher maybe lower, im not sure when they come back but my teacher said maybe march-ish. what did you guys put for the second to last question, the one about one fact that didnt agree with the statement? i said something about wales and how they are oddly spread. :s-smilie:

I dunno, I worked out the percentage of area on each country and got Scotland :s-smilie:
Reply 10
i did a large rectangle at the bottom, a smaller one ontop and a tiny one ontop of that
Reply 11
wales had more coniferous woodland, but still had more area covered by grey squirrels
Reply 12
::eek: ah well, you win some you lose some. I'm predicted an A so if I get a B, I'm gonna retake.
Reply 13
not that bit, the one asking for something that didnt agree with that, and for the carbon one i just put that detritus feeders respire and produce co2, some is lost if burnt, when decompose locked up co2 is released, and also that over a long periof of time they can be made into fossil fuels and when burnt it releases the co2.
Reply 14
Original post by grammar12
not that bit, the one asking for something that didnt agree with that, and for the carbon one i just put that detritus feeders respire and produce co2, some is lost if burnt, when decompose locked up co2 is released, and also that over a long periof of time they can be made into fossil fuels and when burnt it releases the co2.

Oh, the question that says : state one piece of evidence that contradicts with this?

I wrote that there is some grey squirrels in Scotland, i wasnt sure about that one.
What do you think will be the grade boundaries out of 60?
Reply 15
it is all dependent on how many people gain a/a* on the existing grade boundaries, but considering most kids in my school left feeling demoralised and that they didnt know what most questions were, despite them going to a top grammar i should think they will be quite low around 40-50 a 50+ a*
Reply 16
I reckon the grade boundaries are going to be quite high, 52+ ish for A*. I personally found it quite easy and many people in my school did too.
What did you guys put for 'name an organ that produces hormones?'
I put pituitary gland but thats not a organ :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by bhamrambo
I reckon the grade boundaries are going to be quite high, 52+ ish for A*. I personally found it quite easy and many people in my school did too.
What did you guys put for 'name an organ that produces hormones?'
I put pituitary gland but thats not a organ :frown:

it is an organ
Reply 18
are you sure? hmmm well thats a relief then.
Those squirrels were the most tricky questions!
Reply 19
Does anyone know if the ovaries count as a sex organ?

Quick Reply

Latest