The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

First year accomodation choices for Aberdeen Uni

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone else had their accommodation letters through yet?

I'm worried I've had mine through, but just binned it....
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Sorry never mind, forgot to read up... sorry Heather!
Reply 62
Can anyone post pictures of accommodation? Really curious to see what New Carnagie Court, North Court, and Crombie bedrooms look like.
Reply 63
Original post by saachi
Can anyone post pictures of accommodation? Really curious to see what New Carnagie Court, North Court, and Crombie bedrooms look like.

I have some photos if you want of Crombie :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by JAZZA007
I have some photos if you want of Crombie :smile:

Thanks, that'd be great! :smile:
Original post by saachi

Don't know if you've seen the ones on the uni website, but: North Court.

New Carnegie: kitchen, bedroom, and en-suite.
Reply 66
Original post by rosie9391
Don't know if you've seen the ones on the uni website, but: North Court.

New Carnegie: kitchen, bedroom, and en-suite.

Hey guys!
I got a conditional offer from Aberdeen and i m quite sure that i will be my firm choice.

As for the accommodation, i m sure now.... :biggrin: Do you have any experiences or opinions about Burnett House, Hector Boece Court, Esslemont House or Keith House? These are quiet cheap and, since i m a Hungarian student, price really matters :biggrin:

Beside those, i m thinking about either Wavell or Fyfe...

Thanks in advance :smile:
firmed my unconditional for aberdeen last week. when can we start applying for accomodation? thinking about applying for new carniege/ north court/south house and wavell/fyfe.

also is there much difference between them, what would people reccomend. i know new carniege is the most expensive and newest and has en suit
Reply 69
Hi everybody :smile:

At the moment I have 2 conditional offers from Aberdeen and it will be my first choice. Also I have to make the tough decision about accommodation.

1. Catered or self-catered? Really can't decide, how are the foods? and how is it organized, I mean like the hours when they serve food etc..
2. I read the whole post and got that most of you recommend either North Court, South House, Adam Smith or NCC. But what about the others like Keith and Burnett house?
Original post by Kätlin
Hi everybody :smile:

At the moment I have 2 conditional offers from Aberdeen and it will be my first choice. Also I have to make the tough decision about accommodation.

1. Catered or self-catered? Really can't decide, how are the foods? and how is it organized, I mean like the hours when they serve food etc..
2. I read the whole post and got that most of you recommend either North Court, South House, Adam Smith or NCC. But what about the others like Keith and Burnett house?

The food is supposed to not be great, like school camp food if you ever went to an outdoor centre? Healthy options not filling vs unhealthy chips, but then again not too many people have complained that much.

Breakfast is between 8:00 and 8:40, evening meals are between 17:30 and 18:45 and Sunday brunch is from 11.30 until 13.30. There are no limits on the amount of food consumed during a meal time, but they do limit portion sizes to some of the main meal items. Most items you help yourself to.

Look at the accomodation article for more detail and a menu accomodation wiki

Freshers don't tend to be place in Keith or Burnett - few people will have experience of them.
Reply 71
Hello everybody!

I got an unconditional from Aberdeen and I want to know when should I start applying for accommodation. Should I wait until I have all the results (even though my first choice is Aberdeen)?

I live in South House this year so thought I'd give you guys my view on Hillhead :-)

Am I right in thinking we didn't apply for accomodation til like June?? Hmm.

South House is by far the best choice in Hillhead (and no I'm not biased, I do have my reasons). My flat has 7 rooms and we all get along great. The rooms are a great size, desk, shelves, wardrobe, and sink with a mirror over it. In all fairness the Kitchen is a bit small but some flats are 5 people so it's not so bad. There's one fridge freezer, 2 cookers and 2 sinks in our flat. As for the toilets, we have one toilet, one shower room, and one shower/toilet which is great, we're all girls and not once have we had to wait to use the shower. (Remember this is the 7person flat, it's different for the 5 person one, you also can't choose which one you get put in btw).
We don't get cleaners, just the stairwell gets a wee hoover once a week, all the club promo flyers get picked up and the trolleys returned to Lidl -lol.
As for price, everything in Aberdeen is expensive. My friend in Glasgow has a much nicer flat than mine and she's paying less. I think NCC is ridiculously over priced though, but hey that's Unite for ya. The en suite is so unnecessary plus it means when you have parties people have to go in your room to use your toilet which doesn't even have a lock. Basically you're paying an extra £50 odd a week (Or for most of them.. SAAS is paying it) for a sofa and being perceived as the posho's of Hillhead :tongue:

South House has amazing banter, always parties going on and there's loads of car parking if you want to have your car. The laundry room is right opposite too :-)

Fyfe/Wavell/Adam Smith are great albeit with small kitchens. This is because it was only recently changed to self-catering so bedrooms were turned into kitchens. Fyfe is a great choice for guys - they all seem to have a great laugh in there. And the hall type atmosphere does bring more people together I think, I definitely don't see it as a hindrance.

North Court is for non-first year students this year but I don't know if they rotate first years between North Court & South House annually. South House is also closest to Seaton Park for walking to Uni. Hahah.

Anyways hope this helped someone out! I'll be gutted to leave Hillhead in a few weeks time, it's honestly been an amazing start to uni and I hate the thought of someone else sleeping in this room next year! Aberdeen's a great move to make anyway. Good luck with offers :smile:
Original post by allthebadkids
I live in South House this year so thought I'd give you guys my view on Hillhead :-)

Am I right in thinking we didn't apply for accomodation til like June?? Hmm.

South House is by far the best choice in Hillhead (and no I'm not biased, I do have my reasons). My flat has 7 rooms and we all get along great. The rooms are a great size, desk, shelves, wardrobe, and sink with a mirror over it. In all fairness the Kitchen is a bit small but some flats are 5 people so it's not so bad. There's one fridge freezer, 2 cookers and 2 sinks in our flat. As for the toilets, we have one toilet, one shower room, and one shower/toilet which is great, we're all girls and not once have we had to wait to use the shower. (Remember this is the 7person flat, it's different for the 5 person one, you also can't choose which one you get put in btw).
We don't get cleaners, just the stairwell gets a wee hoover once a week, all the club promo flyers get picked up and the trolleys returned to Lidl -lol.
As for price, everything in Aberdeen is expensive. My friend in Glasgow has a much nicer flat than mine and she's paying less. I think NCC is ridiculously over priced though, but hey that's Unite for ya. The en suite is so unnecessary plus it means when you have parties people have to go in your room to use your toilet which doesn't even have a lock. Basically you're paying an extra £50 odd a week (Or for most of them.. SAAS is paying it) for a sofa and being perceived as the posho's of Hillhead :tongue:

South House has amazing banter, always parties going on and there's loads of car parking if you want to have your car. The laundry room is right opposite too :-)

Fyfe/Wavell/Adam Smith are great albeit with small kitchens. This is because it was only recently changed to self-catering so bedrooms were turned into kitchens. Fyfe is a great choice for guys - they all seem to have a great laugh in there. And the hall type atmosphere does bring more people together I think, I definitely don't see it as a hindrance.

North Court is for non-first year students this year but I don't know if they rotate first years between North Court & South House annually. South House is also closest to Seaton Park for walking to Uni. Hahah.

Anyways hope this helped someone out! I'll be gutted to leave Hillhead in a few weeks time, it's honestly been an amazing start to uni and I hate the thought of someone else sleeping in this room next year! Aberdeen's a great move to make anyway. Good luck with offers :smile:

thanks going to apply for south house. also are room single or mixed sex. i have an unconditional and if i apply on day 1 hopefully i should get in, how does the uni assign your flatmates. is it just random?

I didn't even live in South House and its probably the one I'd recommend too :smile:
I thought most uni halls were mixed share? How come Aberdeen do mixed and single sexed ?
Original post by jhuntley93
thanks going to apply for south house. also are room single or mixed sex. i have an unconditional and if i apply on day 1 hopefully i should get in, how does the uni assign your flatmates. is it just random?

All flats are single sex, and as far as I know no girl's flats are on the ground floor. There are 3 flats per floor and 9 flats in a block btw. I applied 3 or 4 days after accomodation opened with an unconditional and still got my first choice but I'd get in early anyway just to avoid disappointment. :-) Yeah as far as I know it's random, most flats seem to have a couple people who are on similar courses though but I don't know if this is just coincedence or what. :-)
Yeah as far as I know it's random, most flats seem to have a couple people who are on similar courses though but I don't know if this is just coincedence or what. :-)

My flat of 5 has 3 people doing science courses in it, so they're all in the same classes. 2 of the girls doing science and the other girl are all in the same elective as well, so I'm the only one in my flat who doesn't actually share a class with anyone xD - I think there are a few flats with the same situation :smile:
Original post by kjonathan92
Do you have any experiences or opinions about Burnett House, Hector Boece Court, Esslemont House or Keith House? These are quiet cheap and, since i m a Hungarian student, price really matters :biggrin: Beside those, i m thinking about either Wavell or Fyfe...

I've briefly been into all of those (had to move student's in during freshers week), and know people who have lived in a couple. Personally, I'd stay clear of Burnett, Hector Boece - also known as 'The Ghetto' and Esslemont just because they are older and not in the best of conditions. Keith House is slightly better. North House and South House were quite similar in layout style with their bedrooms, and the condition of the places. I'd echo what other's have said with regards to South House!

I was in Adam Smith, which is identical to Wavell and Fyfe and would highly recommend either of these. It's a corridor layout, so no individual flats like the other ones mentioned above. I found this very good for making friends and being easier to get to know people/stay in touch. In your room you have a wash hand basin, but share the main bathrooms and kitchens. There are two bathrooms located on every floor, along with two large kitchens, then a few smaller ones. The facilities are all new, having been fitted in 2010, as before they were catered so think this makes the weekly rent of £96, pretty good value!

Original post by jhuntley93
when can we start applying for accomodation? thinking about applying for new carniege/ north court/south house and wavell/fyfe.

also is there much difference between them, what would people recommend. i know new carniege is the most expensive and newest and has en suit

Once you get your student packs through, you can apply which is around June/July. Also, get on it fairly sharpish when you do get them as it is first come, first served! Although, saying this, I didn't apply until the week before the deadline and still got my first choice. Out of all those, I'd go for either South House, or Wavell/Fyffe. Since NCC hasn't really been mentioned yet: it's very expensive at £133 a week, and I've heard a lot of bad things from people with regards to getting their deposit back at the end of the year. The facilities are very nice, especially with with 3/4 bed, en-suite and a small lounge area in your kitchen. If you've got the money, it's a very popular choice, but tbh, you're only there for a year and you'd be lucky to find private accom in such a good condition, plus you'd have quite a bit of money to use on other things if you lived elsewhere.

Original post by Kätlin

I've been given tours around the catered halls at Crombie recently, and was also in catered in my 1st year (although, up at Hillhead). So with the food, you now eat in the Hub which is a 5 min walk from your room - I'd find this a pain in the morning, and in bad weather - and it's food options are rotated in 4 week cycles. It's not bad, but it's not great either and if I could go back, would've went for self-catered because a) it's cheaper, b) you're going to have to get used to cooking for yourself eventually, and c) I'm quite fussy and there were quite a lot of things I didn't like. The salad bar was a nice touch, though and you could help yourself to fruit, yoghurts, juice etc. You only get brunch on a Sunday, but there's some kitchens for you to use but need to bring your own utensils. Crombie isn't too bad, but would say Hillhead is the place to be if you want to be in on all the student-y goings on. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 79
Think after listening to everyone here im definetly going to go for South House. Fingers crossed i get in and the people im sharing with are pretty decent! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending