The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

First year accomodation choices for Aberdeen Uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by u02dpb7
Hey, if it doesn't work call 01224273604 (Undergraduate Admissions) and they will look into it for you :smile:

thanks :wink: i wrote them an email (i dont live in the uk), and they said it'd be updated by tomorrow.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Hey.

I am about to apply for accommodation. Just wondering if it is possible to choose Wavell and not Fyfe, because I would prefer a mixed sex dorm. :smile:

Reply 142
Original post by kjonathan92
Hey.

I am about to apply for accommodation. Just wondering if it is possible to choose Wavell and not Fyfe, because I would prefer a mixed sex dorm. :smile:

If you put one of your choices as Wavell ect, then on the next page it'll ask ya if you prefer mixed or single sex, just click yes and you may get it
Hey.

As far as I am aware none of the kitchens are mixed sex, generally one out of Adam Smith/Fyfe/Wavell has 2 or 3 boys floors and 2 or 3 girls floors in one building.
Original post by Silver Aurora
the choices are god awful! not only are the prices extremely high for what they are but there's no mixed genders and i mean seriously, if it's a scottish thing then thats understandable but if not then :\

1st choice was wavell, looks like a nice place :smile:

I think the no mixed sex thing is just to do with it being an old uni and it's just a tradition that they continued. Of course Aberdeen is going to be expensive it's the most expensive place to live in the country for students apart from London. I was looking at flats and a 2 bedroom house where I live is 6X cheaper than one bedroom flat in Aberdeen and I live in a nice popular area.
Original post by claireg172
I think the no mixed sex thing is just to do with it being an old uni and it's just a tradition that they continued. Of course Aberdeen is going to be expensive it's the most expensive place to live in the country for students apart from London. I was looking at flats and a 2 bedroom house where I live is 6X cheaper than one bedroom flat in Aberdeen and I live in a nice popular area.

Damn, that sucks. I'd never have guessed Aberdeen to be the most expensive place for students aside from London; not even Manchester or Birmingham?
Original post by Silver Aurora
Damn, that sucks. I'd never have guessed Aberdeen to be the most expensive place for students aside from London; not even Manchester or Birmingham?

Sadly no, Aberdeenshire often tops the scale for quality of living in the UK. So much oil money in a relatively small city pushing prices through the roof.
Hey.

Not sure, but personally I don't know if there's any point. The "mixed" sex is like first floor for guys, second floor for girls, third floor or guys, etc etc (or so I've been told).
Original post by cgraham15
Not sure, but personally I don't know if there's any point. The "mixed" sex is like first floor for guys, second floor for girls, third floor or guys, etc etc (or so I've been told).

Though the single sex arrangements do seem a bit archaic when compared to other universities, people do stop caring after the first few weeks.
1. south house standard
2. wavell/AS/fyfe
3. HBC
4./5. crombie-johnston standard

Thanks, and what are your thoughts about Hector Boece? I know that it is sometimes called "The Ghetto" but is it really bad or just a myth? :biggrin: It is quite cheap though

:smile:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Sadly no, Aberdeenshire often tops the scale for quality of living in the UK. So much oil money in a relatively small city pushing prices through the roof.

Ah right I see, cool! Canny wait aha
Thanks, and what are your thoughts about Hector Boece? I know that it is sometimes called "The Ghetto" but is it really bad or just a myth? :biggrin: It is quite cheap though

:smile:

If you go for HB I guess you'll have more money for other stuff :biggrin: but I'm hoping for SH :smile:
As a student who’s just about to finish first year and has lived in 2 different places at Hillhead (Hector and South House) and seen others here's my advice:

- Hector's showers aren't that nice - think old brick floor, that kind of camp site / public swimming baths cubicle style. In comparison, South House showers are a hell of a lot nicer and more modern. We’ve spent many a time pulling pubes out of the showers at Hector from other people because it gets clogged up so easily and the culprit flatmate was seemingly ignorant of the problem.
- Hector has a problem with mould in the kitchen, bedrooms and bathroom mostly around the windows which is why I think they are doing up some rooms over the next year, but I don't think all will be done so expect to possibly have this in your kitchen space. South House doesn't have this problem as it is more modern.
- The rooms at South House are also bigger and the bed I had was also marginally bigger compared to the one at Hector, god's knows why because they were both singles, but my bed sheet fitted fine at SH but was baggy on the matress at HB.
- At South House you have the benefit of having a much better wardrobe which won't fall apart the minute you try to use it (the number of times we've put the damn door back on!) and tiny plastic draws on the inside as you'll have in Hector.
- You also get your own sink at SH in your room.
- In Hector you get ONE shared bathroom between SIX of you, (sink & shower) and two old fashioned toilets separate. At SouthHouse you get one room with bathroom and shower, one separate shower and one separate toilet, again much nicer standard.
- The toilet paper cannot be changed by you at SH! Only by a cleaner (done for you at HB). So if you go to SH which isn't cleaned by the cleaners, you'll spent a few weeks bugging the cleaners for a key (who never have one) and the porters (who say to ask the cleaners) until you finally give up and resort to leaving toilet paper on top of a carrier bag (instead of the floor) which is what we eventually did when we realised we were never going to get the problem fixed. BTW the quality is crap (no pun intended), even fast food restaurants don't subject you to that low quality! (Same for SH/HB) So be prepared to buy your own if you want any skin left!
- This one I cannot stress enough DO NOT LEAVE YOUR WINDOW OPEN ON THE GROUND FLOOR opportunist theft it is not merely a rumour put about two people tried to reach into someone’s bedroom we knew while he had the lights off and was actually in there at the time, and people have been arrested (known thieves to the police) who hang about at halls, so beware. Never, ever leave your window open on the ground floor, even if you go to the bathroom. It’s not something that happens every day, or even every week, so don't fret about people breaking in, but don’t leave yourself vulnerable to it either.
- I highly recommend you rent a fridge, as whether you go to HB or SH it's the same situation - 6/7 and only one fridge/freezer, like this: http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/lec-crystalline-55cm-t5576w-fridge-freezer-1027460395.jpg
So you can imagine how that pans out - half a shelf each, now try cram all your food in there. Not to mention many people just left food in there that had gone out of date and left to rot until the smell was so bad we had to check other people’s shelves / areas to throw out rotten food. So if you can afford it and the space, go for it. You might get good flatmates, but even so, sharing a fridge that size between 6-7 people is a NIGHTMARE. If I’d have known I would have hired one from the start!
- Cupboard wise - we've had a fair bit of theft this year - from two different sets of flatmates, the second far worse than the first. We recently spent a couple of weeks away from the flat and came back to find all the food we'd bought gone - literally, cupboard emptied by the flatmates. And we've had the same problem ALL TERM of people just taking off with whatever they like. Perhaps we were unlucky, but prepare yourself for the possibility that not all people are honest. Ridiculously these people whined they were poor, whilst spending their weekends jetting off all around Europe to see various places and attending £30 a ticket balls etc. whilst we struggled to pay for even food let alone be able to do anything else. I'm not saying that everyone will get this problem, and I don't want to scare people by any means, but be prepared for it, and perhaps prepare how you would deal with it. Not everyone is polite enough to ask to borrow things unfortunately. The alternative is to keep food in your room (such as cereal, crisps etc.) though that's not ideal.
- If you go with Hector lift up the mattress and then the wood underneath should have a round hole in it lift up and hey presto! Secret storage area. Took us muppets ages to realise! :’)
- Keystore wayyy overcharges for things, so I wouldn’t bother with it too much. Lidl is nearby but it’s kind of a jumble sale of some food / a lot of sweets / random oddments of household stuff etc. it does have some good offers though and you can buy some things there a lot cheaper than elsewhere. Bear in mind that Asda and Tesco DO deliver to Hillhead, and you might be better off spending the minimum £25 online (just order for a week or two) and getting it delivered that putting up with the hassle of trekking to the next nearest supermarket which is morrisons.
- Bike storage isn’t too good for Hillhead residents, not sure if they are planning to renovate this as part of their plans but I’d recommend you just keep it indoors to be honest. There’s better bike storage / chaining space at the uni than at halls so there should be no problems at the other end with biking to uni. New Carngie have much much better storage for bikes - they have bike cages.
- Un HB/SH related for the catered halls I’ve heard it’s a bit rubbish choice wise with a lot of chips going around and having seen the rooms the quality is no better than SH (thought I've never lived catered so I can't say for certain about the food, only the rooms). Also you still have to sort your own lunch out and I think there are a lot less meals on weekends so think about. There is the added bonus that catered halls are ON campus so you don’t have to walk that walk up Seaton Hill is a killer at 8.50am when you’re running late for class!
- If you want somewhere quieter to live, North Court is said to be a good place to stay at Hillhead.
- The Porters are excellent at being helpful in all the situations I’ve been this year they’ve been brilliant and always friendly too, as are the Student Resident Assistants (SRAs) so don't hesitate to use them if you need to.
- Don’t forget that there are computers and printers available at the central building at Hillhead halls so don’t make the mistake of walking all the way to uni to print something out if you don’t need to!

Finally, my most important piece of advice - though Hector is known as the ghetto for a reason, they are renovating it this year (though I don’t think all at once), and (this is going to sound mum-sy!) keeping the place clean and tidy makes all the difference! It’s far nicer to live in a crap place that’s clean and tidy than one that isn’t. It makes it all the more bearable. Though that’s kind of true of all halls if you keep it nice and tidy and clean, it’s a 100x nicer to live in wherever you end up. I know some of the stuff I wrote makes halls sound negative but it is only a year and you can request a move if you really hate your flatmates / flat.

If anyone wants me to write on courses/buying books/stuff to do in Aberdeen/travel/studying and so on let me know and I’ll gladly tell you all I can.
Crombie/Johnson :smile:

Here's my review of Cro/Jo catered accommodation.

After having spent the first two years of uni at home I was craving company when I applied for Crombie this year. I can safely say its been more postitive than negative and I look back now with great memories of all the firedns I've made and things I have done. A true, accurate reflection is that there is very much a sense of community spirit but you have to activly seek it as it is very hotel like with rooms in one long coridoor.

The location- is fantastic! just 5 minutes from anywhere on campus and only 20 minutes to walk straight onto Union Street and to shops. Its right in the middle of lovely well maintained lawns with mature trees and its just good right now in the sunshine. Johnson is on its own right next to Crombie.

Other things- all the bills and internet are included- another reason I've stayed on to Kings Hall next year (who wants to be worrying about that in 4th year!). But, Cro/Jo might be good for 1st and 2nd years but I value my peace and quiet and studying so much that I've decided to go self catering and with postgrads next year :smile:

Rooms- I was in an en-suite room. The room sizes are standard- not too big or small- just right. With an adequate amount of space above and below the desk- which has loackable draws. Kepp ontop of cleaning the rooms- coursework and other things really got in the way of me doing that! The wardrobes- talk about nightmare! It seems they are just there to decorate the room and they dont properly close- just for storage really. I had a seperate chest of draws which came in handy for sweets, cartons of juice, spare clothes and the like and also balanced my tv/dvd player (tip- this is good if you don't like sharing TV over people talking loudly in the TV Room). Bathrooms and showers are shared similiar to Hillhead but the showers look in better condition to the review above.

Kitchens- its just really a tiny kitchenette-kettle, toaster (very handy- the toast is like a rock at breakfast!), boiled water dispenser and microwave and a little fridge/freezer type thing- only enough room really to wash dishes. Johnson in my op nionhas much nicer kitchens that are more recent and large enough to fit a block of 10 in easily (but bizzarly have 20 cupboards and no cookers!)

Laundary- is very capicious- but it takes forever to wash and dry so allow a good halfday especially if you have a large amount to do and the company in charge of the laundaries is so slow to come and fix anything- it took them 4 months to fix the broken down dryers- there are over 250 people living in Cro/Jo! Annoyingly the washers have half the capacity of the dryers- so watch out! Its very very expensive £6.80 for two loads of speedily done washing and drying.

Meals- typically meals consist of. Breakfast (no cooked breakfast except sunday brunch)- crossiants, toast (both military weapons and rock solid!), tinned fruit like pineapple rings and peaches, assorted fruit yoghurts (beware the horrific pineapple and rubharb flavoured ones- disgusting!) and of course coffee (foul), tea (better) and apple and orange juice (both horrific and taste and smell and look strong in colours that are not natural to fruits). Lunch- generally just eat on the go sandwhich or soup or a larger meal of courses (word of warning- stock up for the weekend as campus completely shuts down after Friday unitl Monday). Dinner (lets just say bland and uninspired and I can't wait to cook for myself)- consists of 3 options- unhealthy/junk food (sausage rools, spring rolls, chicken burger, hotdog etc..), vegetarian (quorn curry, quorn con carne and quorn pie, veg lasange, spinach and raccotta canalloni, gniocchi, portabello mushrooms, stuffed peppers), meat option (big hearty beef, lamb and pork dishes- think typically British dishes such as beef and stilton pie, braised lamb and pork with cider and apples etc..) and desserts (usually a flat sponge type conncotion with a suspicious sauce with a massive skin- think school dinners) but sometimes just cake and ice cream (Baskin Robbins on Thursdays- amazing treat!). But there is also sauce and pasta and baked potatoes and yoghurts. ALso a salad bar with salad items and also pizza and pies. If you go in with no expectations then you wont be disppointed- but after 9 months of the same things on rotation every 3 weeks with no change you crave home fresh cooking really badly- the stuff at dinner has been left since lunch to stew!. On Sundays you get really sick and tired of microwave meals. All my TV Room friends can all agree we can't wait to be self- catered!

Other things- TV Room, Computer Rooms and Games Room are all very handy especially seen as the library is worthless. Most of the SRAS and other staff are friendly, polite and good to chat too but some are not. How enjoyable or not your experience is depends on your neighbours (I was very lucky as me and my neighbour are BFFS) and how much you want to get involved (the SRAS organised great stuff to do- I went to 2 talent shows, a ceilidth and study sessions and revision and housing advice and all sorts of other things!_ I've never done so much!)

Overall- I'm glad I ticked the box but if you value peace and quiet I would say Cro/jo is better than most places I've heard about (tip avoid A Block at all costs if possible- these are the loudest livelist blocks with all the parties going on). I would say though that I'm moving to Kings Hall though (with postgrads) as I find myself really tired from being with all first years. It's a good experience though but I think it was too noisy at night for me to get proper sleep (a crescendo of noise happens at 3.30am) I'll stil lkeep in contact with every friend I've made and it can't have been so bad as I am moving next door. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by aberdeenchick
As a student who’s just about to finish first year and has lived in 2 different places at Hillhead (Hector and South House) and seen others here's my advice:

- Hector's showers aren't that nice - think old brick floor, that kind of camp site / public swimming baths cubicle style. In comparison, South House showers are a hell of a lot nicer and more modern. We’ve spent many a time pulling pubes out of the showers at Hector from other people because it gets clogged up so easily and the culprit flatmate was seemingly ignorant of the problem.
- Hector has a problem with mould in the kitchen, bedrooms and bathroom mostly around the windows which is why I think they are doing up some rooms over the next year, but I don't think all will be done so expect to possibly have this in your kitchen space. South House doesn't have this problem as it is more modern.
- The rooms at South House are also bigger and the bed I had was also marginally bigger compared to the one at Hector, god's knows why because they were both singles, but my bed sheet fitted fine at SH but was baggy on the matress at HB.
- At South House you have the benefit of having a much better wardrobe which won't fall apart the minute you try to use it (the number of times we've put the damn door back on!) and tiny plastic draws on the inside as you'll have in Hector.
- You also get your own sink at SH in your room.
- In Hector you get ONE shared bathroom between SIX of you, (sink & shower) and two old fashioned toilets separate. At SouthHouse you get one room with bathroom and shower, one separate shower and one separate toilet, again much nicer standard.
- The toilet paper cannot be changed by you at SH! Only by a cleaner (done for you at HB). So if you go to SH which isn't cleaned by the cleaners, you'll spent a few weeks bugging the cleaners for a key (who never have one) and the porters (who say to ask the cleaners) until you finally give up and resort to leaving toilet paper on top of a carrier bag (instead of the floor) which is what we eventually did when we realised we were never going to get the problem fixed. BTW the quality is crap (no pun intended), even fast food restaurants don't subject you to that low quality! (Same for SH/HB) So be prepared to buy your own if you want any skin left!
- This one I cannot stress enough DO NOT LEAVE YOUR WINDOW OPEN ON THE GROUND FLOOR opportunist theft it is not merely a rumour put about two people tried to reach into someone’s bedroom we knew while he had the lights off and was actually in there at the time, and people have been arrested (known thieves to the police) who hang about at halls, so beware. Never, ever leave your window open on the ground floor, even if you go to the bathroom. It’s not something that happens every day, or even every week, so don't fret about people breaking in, but don’t leave yourself vulnerable to it either.
- I highly recommend you rent a fridge, as whether you go to HB or SH it's the same situation - 6/7 and only one fridge/freezer, like this: http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/lec-crystalline-55cm-t5576w-fridge-freezer-1027460395.jpg
So you can imagine how that pans out - half a shelf each, now try cram all your food in there. Not to mention many people just left food in there that had gone out of date and left to rot until the smell was so bad we had to check other people’s shelves / areas to throw out rotten food. So if you can afford it and the space, go for it. You might get good flatmates, but even so, sharing a fridge that size between 6-7 people is a NIGHTMARE. If I’d have known I would have hired one from the start!
- Cupboard wise - we've had a fair bit of theft this year - from two different sets of flatmates, the second far worse than the first. We recently spent a couple of weeks away from the flat and came back to find all the food we'd bought gone - literally, cupboard emptied by the flatmates. And we've had the same problem ALL TERM of people just taking off with whatever they like. Perhaps we were unlucky, but prepare yourself for the possibility that not all people are honest. Ridiculously these people whined they were poor, whilst spending their weekends jetting off all around Europe to see various places and attending £30 a ticket balls etc. whilst we struggled to pay for even food let alone be able to do anything else. I'm not saying that everyone will get this problem, and I don't want to scare people by any means, but be prepared for it, and perhaps prepare how you would deal with it. Not everyone is polite enough to ask to borrow things unfortunately. The alternative is to keep food in your room (such as cereal, crisps etc.) though that's not ideal.
- If you go with Hector lift up the mattress and then the wood underneath should have a round hole in it lift up and hey presto! Secret storage area. Took us muppets ages to realise! :’)
- Keystore wayyy overcharges for things, so I wouldn’t bother with it too much. Lidl is nearby but it’s kind of a jumble sale of some food / a lot of sweets / random oddments of household stuff etc. it does have some good offers though and you can buy some things there a lot cheaper than elsewhere. Bear in mind that Asda and Tesco DO deliver to Hillhead, and you might be better off spending the minimum £25 online (just order for a week or two) and getting it delivered that putting up with the hassle of trekking to the next nearest supermarket which is morrisons.
- Bike storage isn’t too good for Hillhead residents, not sure if they are planning to renovate this as part of their plans but I’d recommend you just keep it indoors to be honest. There’s better bike storage / chaining space at the uni than at halls so there should be no problems at the other end with biking to uni. New Carngie have much much better storage for bikes - they have bike cages.
- Un HB/SH related for the catered halls I’ve heard it’s a bit rubbish choice wise with a lot of chips going around and having seen the rooms the quality is no better than SH (thought I've never lived catered so I can't say for certain about the food, only the rooms). Also you still have to sort your own lunch out and I think there are a lot less meals on weekends so think about. There is the added bonus that catered halls are ON campus so you don’t have to walk that walk up Seaton Hill is a killer at 8.50am when you’re running late for class!
- If you want somewhere quieter to live, North Court is said to be a good place to stay at Hillhead.
- The Porters are excellent at being helpful in all the situations I’ve been this year they’ve been brilliant and always friendly too, as are the Student Resident Assistants (SRAs) so don't hesitate to use them if you need to.
- Don’t forget that there are computers and printers available at the central building at Hillhead halls so don’t make the mistake of walking all the way to uni to print something out if you don’t need to!

Finally, my most important piece of advice - though Hector is known as the ghetto for a reason, they are renovating it this year (though I don’t think all at once), and (this is going to sound mum-sy!) keeping the place clean and tidy makes all the difference! It’s far nicer to live in a crap place that’s clean and tidy than one that isn’t. It makes it all the more bearable. Though that’s kind of true of all halls if you keep it nice and tidy and clean, it’s a 100x nicer to live in wherever you end up. I know some of the stuff I wrote makes halls sound negative but it is only a year and you can request a move if you really hate your flatmates / flat.

If anyone wants me to write on courses/buying books/stuff to do in Aberdeen/travel/studying and so on let me know and I’ll gladly tell you all I can.

awesome description :smile:
Does the university rent out mini-fridges that can go in a bedroom?
awesome description :smile:
Does the university rent out mini-fridges that can go in a bedroom?

Yeah, though I never ended up renting one. I think they only have limited numbers so I'd get there first if you can :smile: I can't remember if it's £40 or £60 for the year, I think it does say somewhere on the accomodation website.

And thanks :smile:
Reply 157
Original post by aberdeenchick
x

So is HB just flat out terrible then? :frown:
I picked it 'cause I figured living in a flat would be better than the single rooms, but if it is that bad I guess I made the wrong choice ><
Reply 158
Original post by Gjaykay
So is HB just flat out terrible then? :frown:
I picked it 'cause I figured living in a flat would be better than the single rooms, but if it is that bad I guess I made the wrong choice ><

Seriously, it doesn't ****ing matter. Think about where you live now, I'm sure there are a million ways to improve the place, but you're not obsessing about them, are you? You will get used to wherever you live, there are better ways to use your money.
The advantage SH has over HB is minuscule, you won't even ****ing notice it. You want to pay extra money for your own sink and an extra bathroom? You might be grateful for them maybe for 1 minute per week when someone else is taking a shower.
And she's talking about the showers not looking good enough? You're a guy so it's not gonna be a problem for you - you get in there for 5 minutes to clean yourself not to admire the aesthetics of it. Might be different for aberdeenchick.

As a disclaimer, I did stay in HB and this might be just me trying to justify my decision, but probably not as I did have a good time there.
The differences between SH and HB are not miniscule, you will notice that you are paying more for a reason.

But all said and done, like I said before HB CAN be a nice place to live - but keep it clean and tidy, get your flat mates to help you decorate the walls a bit and you'll be fine. Seriously, we saw someone else's flat and we wouldn't have guessed they were staying in HB from what they'd done with it. Sadly I got lumped with crap flat mates...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending