The Student Room Group

AQA AS Geography Unit 2 24th Jan

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
to get an A you need 80% so 80% of 50 = 40
I don't see what's hard to understand about that it's the same grade boundaries for every A-level exam, it's only GCSE's that differ.
Original post by scared!
noo thankyou!! good luck, let me know how it goesss xxx

Will do, and good luck to you too :smile:
Original post by ihateocr
to get an A you need 80% so 80% of 50 = 40
I don't see what's hard to understand about that it's the same grade boundaries for every A-level exam, it's only GCSE's that differ.

No, its 80% for the UMS. And the UMS is scaled up or down depending on how well/bad everyone has done. For the raw marks, its around 33-35 out of 50 for an A, which equates to 48/60 UMS which is 80%.

Have a look at the this, input your details and you'll see what I mean :smile:

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/
How did it go guys? I found question 1 hard but question 2 wasn't that difficult... what about you??
Reply 44
Original post by coolcric321
How did it go guys? I found question 1 hard but question 2 wasn't that difficult... what about you??

Preferred last years exam but it was alright... do you get to keep your best grade/mark if you do worse in the resit?
Reply 45
I found that the graphs and conclicting question was stupid...
However the Rebranding question i quite enjoyed! :smile:
Reply 46
I seriously had some bad timing going on, I did section 1 but my page with the triangular graph was stuck together so I didnt notice it until 9:55 and I had to quickly rush back and do it D:
Original post by Harry.K
Preferred last years exam but it was alright... do you get to keep your best grade/mark if you do worse in the resit?

Yeah you do keep your best mark :smile:

Original post by Lottie18

That's what I thought too! But was the branding question?

I seriously had some bad timing going on, I did section 1 but my page with the triangular graph was stuck together so I didnt notice it until 9:55 and I had to quickly rush back and do it D:

Lots of people also said that... ah well, hopefully it didn't make too much of a difference :smile:
Don't know about you but that paper seemed harder than a lot of the practice ones I've done and the one I did in summer (the examiners marked it wrongly last time and I could do nothing about it :mad:).

Did anyone else find the stacked bar chart really confusing? I wasn't sure whether the size of the bar was supposed to be (12 + 25 + 36) or just 36. I did it the first way but the bar I got was massive, seemed a bit strange, but I'm not sure what the figures for % of people on benefits in inner city areas usually is, so maybe it was right. It didn't seem to account for people who would claim both either... aaaaaaaah :confused:

I don't generally like questions on urban areas but I think I answered them OK, and the fieldwork section was pretty standard, although the secondary data question caught me out (mainly because we didn't actually use it in our investigation so I had to make something up).

Original post by Lottie18

Branding??? What question was that? :s-smilie:
Original post by lukas1051
Don't know about you but that paper seemed harder than a lot of the practice ones I've done and the one I did in summer (the examiners marked it wrongly last time and I could do nothing about it :mad:).

Did anyone else find the stacked bar chart really confusing? I wasn't sure whether the size of the bar was supposed to be (12 + 25 + 36) or just 36. I did it the first way but the bar I got was massive, seemed a bit strange, but I'm not sure what the figures for % of people on benefits in inner city areas usually is, so maybe it was right. It didn't seem to account for people who would claim both either... aaaaaaaah :confused:

I don't generally like questions on urban areas but I think I answered them OK, and the fieldwork section was pretty standard, although the secondary data question caught me out (mainly because we didn't actually use it in our investigation so I had to make something up).

Branding??? What question was that? :s-smilie:

I'm in the same boat as you.

One of my teachers said that it went up to 36, but another said it went up to 71, and nobody knows what one is right. It was a stupid question anyway, because it could have been either, as you can have overlay, or stacking bar charts.

That triangle graph I knew from my revision guide, but it caught many people out as we were never actually taught it.

And yeah, wtf was this "branding" question?
Original post by planetearth
I'm in the same boat as you.

One of my teachers said that it went up to 36, but another said it went up to 71, and nobody knows what one is right. It was a stupid question anyway, because it could have been either, as you can have overlay, or stacking bar charts.

That triangle graph I knew from my revision guide, but it caught many people out as we were never actually taught it.

And yeah, wtf was this "branding" question?

Oh dear, perhaps it was a mistake then, it wouldn't be the first time with AQA... it's not like they gave us the values for another area to compare it to, maybe there simply wasn't enough information. Hmmmmn... :frown:
Reply 51

Lots of people also said that... ah well, hopefully it didn't make too much of a difference :smile:

Oh well at least I finished it all (just... :tongue:)
Will just have to panic about that date in march now:frown:
Reply 52
Oh my god, so glad some people thought the same as me !

I found the paper so much harder than any of the past papers I've done, especially since I thought the first question was slightly off-topic from the population stuff we've learnt. (probs just me :P)

What annoyed me was the bar graph question, I need to see it again to be sure but I'm pretty sure it wasn't clear whether it was adding on or just up to the next level - I added on but looking back on it now it seems ridiculous that 71% of the inner city were on benefits ! Did anyone else find this question confusing/ambiguous... and that would've messed up the next question, thanks AQA.

Timing definitely needs to be sorted out, I think 1h30 is the right amount for this exam, I found myself beginning the second last question as the invigilator was saying 5 minutes left... I knew everything I wanted to say but I couldn't as I was rushing and had cramp in my hand, it turned into a physical challenge as well as a mental one! My handwriting is probably also illegible because I was trying to fit it all in. Thanks AQA.

Hope you all didn't do too badly!
it was such a nobbish paper!
Original post by nufc7
Oh my god, so glad some people thought the same as me !

I found the paper so much harder than any of the past papers I've done, especially since I thought the first question was slightly off-topic from the population stuff we've learnt. (probs just me :P)

What annoyed me was the bar graph question, I need to see it again to be sure but I'm pretty sure it wasn't clear whether it was adding on or just up to the next level - I added on but looking back on it now it seems ridiculous that 71% of the inner city were on benefits ! Did anyone else find this question confusing/ambiguous... and that would've messed up the next question, thanks AQA.

Timing definitely needs to be sorted out, I think 1h30 is the right amount for this exam, I found myself beginning the second last question as the invigilator was saying 5 minutes left... I knew everything I wanted to say but I couldn't as I was rushing and had cramp in my hand, it turned into a physical challenge as well as a mental one! My handwriting is probably also illegible because I was trying to fit it all in. Thanks AQA.

Hope you all didn't do too badly!

I agree completely. Thinking back, stacking them implies that people on disability benefits and people on unemployment benefits are mutually exclusive (not true), and combining them implies that all people on disability benefits are also on unemployment benefits, who are all on a pension. Obviously neither of those are true... ridiculous question. My geography teacher was rather displeased with it. I agree with you on timing as well, some of the questions in part 1 took longer than they should have for the amount of marks, I finished but didn't have time to check.
Original post by lukas1051
I agree completely. Thinking back, stacking them implies that people on disability benefits and people on unemployment benefits are mutually exclusive (not true), and combining them implies that all people on disability benefits are also on unemployment benefits, who are all on a pension. Obviously neither of those are true... ridiculous question. My geography teacher was rather displeased with it. I agree with you on timing as well, some of the questions in part 1 took longer than they should have for the amount of marks, I finished but didn't have time to check.

I agree you with as well, it was really surprising there seemed to be some people with one view about the bar chart and others with another view. That means there must have been some substance behind both answers, which is why I'm inclined to think it may have been a mistake.

Apart from that, I found it quite difficult, although question 2 was relatively straightforward.
Reply 56

Thank god for that! Least I know that I've definitely got an A lol. and yeh this paper was much harder than last years January paper.
Reply 57
Original post by Harry.K
Thank god for that! Least I know that I've definitely got an A lol. and yeh this paper was much harder than last years January paper.

How many times have you sat this paper? :eek:
Original post by Harry.K

I thought so too... my teacher said it wasn't, but I think he was joking... I hope :P Hopefully the grade boundaries will be low
Reply 59
How many times have you sat this paper? :eek:

This was the first time I resat the paper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending