The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well you see the problem is Gnostic, im not happy with the ucas service. If I offered to process your application faster for an extra fiver, made the application easier and said you wouldn't need a referance would you go for it?
Reply 2
Moog
I was wondering... being as I find UCAS's service rather poor. Is there any reason why I couldn't set up a rival company?? Is it a goverment thing or anything like that??

I was very content with UCAS. What are you complaining about? You should see the German systems and you´d be grateful there is UCAS...
UCAS is great, the admin is really fast, how could people be unhappy with it?

In cases like this I think it best that one efficient agency control university admissions, otherwise it becomes unwieldy and inefficient.
Reply 4
I was very content with UCAS. What are you complaining about? You should see the German systems and you´d be grateful there is UCAS...

Im complaining because ucas took over a month to scan my form in and get back to me. Also the form isn't exactly simple to fill in. Then you have to get a reference which is obviously always going to hype the person up with a load of bullshit! As if the personal statement isn't enough!

I don't want to look at the German system, if I did I would apply to go to uni there!
Reply 5
i agree dat ucas is quite good at processing applications. and yeh i think da market is too small for dere to be anotha similar service.

bt i av a prob wit sum of their policies.....like why r we forced into makin a firm and an insurance choice afta we get all our decisions bac and be forced to decline all da otha offers made by otha unis, esp if we dnt get da rite grades afta for those unis? we may have to end up goin thru clearin which wud be a bigga hassle and made worse if u kno dat u may av got da grades 4 one of the offers u declined! :frown:. i suggest dat we shud be allowed an orda of choice 4 all da unis we got an offer frm so dat u dnt decline ne of da unis and relieve sum pressure on us! i av enouf probs as it is....:frown:
Reply 6
duno why we have to compare everything with other countries, it's like we can't think of our own ways.

UCAS service seems rather responsive once they finally scan the kack forms in, why should we need a booklet to help us fill in a simple form???
Duno why they need to know our employment history either.

Another service may cause conflicts somehow, but nothing like having to goverments. (well that might be a cracking idea!)

Have you heard UCAS's hold music? Absolutley terrible. Give it a blast, you're gn'ted to get it... 0870 11 222 11.

:biggrin:

Regards
Tosh
It's so much easier to process a firm and insurance than an order of preference, for all parties concerned; UCAS, the unis and the applicants. And clearing gets people places.
Reply 8
i suppose it wud be faster proccessin wit a firm and insurance choice system. bt it puts so much pressure on us to choose and cud effect ur whole life if u realise afta dat u may av made da wrong choice! i wud prefer to make those decisions as late as i can to allow me to make da rite choice! also wit clearin u may not always get to go to a uni want to go to.

anotha prob wit da firm and insurance choice thing is dat i have heard dat if u get da grades at da end of da year to go to ur firm choice, ul av to go!..even if u change ur mind and want to go sumwhere else.... u wont be able to change unless u reapply da followin yer :frown:
Reply 9
I was more than happy with UCAS. I didnt send my form til 23rd of January. I now have Unconditional offers from all of my unis. I took less than a month.
Reply 10
I was more than happy with UCAS. I didnt send my form til 23rd of January. I now have Unconditional offers from all of my unis. I took less than a month.

Well thats all hunky dorey for u my ginger friend, but I've only heard back one from one uni so far.
Reply 11
My experience with UCAS was pretty smooth and no problems. Also UCAS is a government owned company.
Reply 12
My experience with UCAS was pretty smooth and no problems. Also UCAS is a government owned company.

Blast so I couldn't set up AUCAS (A standing for alternative)?
Reply 13
amazingtrade

Ah since when has the government run anything smoothly? Perhaps they could add an Application Tax on it, to help add more speed cameras. They are Total wanks!
Reply 14
UCAS provide a great and valuable service!

and I dont see how there could ever be a competitor to them, and more to the point why!
Reply 15
I think UCAS is highly efficient! If you are waiting for uni replies then it the uni you want to be moaning about, not UCAS...

Latest

Trending

Trending