The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Kings college nurses and midwives 2012

Scroll to see replies

Hi
I hope you all did ok in the selection day. I'm going to do Child nursing. Is King's anyone first choice?
x
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 81
Hey Guys to those who attended on the 18th of April I just got emailed the news and I got a conditional offer! :smile: so happy now I feel me again! so just got to get the required entry grades and I'll see alot of you next year hopefully.

So go check your Kings Myapplication pages and let me know how you get on!

Good Luck!
Reply 82
Congratulations, and good luck on getting the grades you need. Just got an offer now (well, I need to scan my passport first) -- it takes a while to sink in, doesn't it?

Best of luck to everyone else.
Reply 83
Original post by bibliochic
Congratulations, and good luck on getting the grades you need. Just got an offer now (well, I need to scan my passport first) -- it takes a while to sink in, doesn't it?

Best of luck to everyone else.

Congratulations! Yes still taking its time to sink in so stoked!
Reply 84
Original post by mantown7
i had my selection day on the 18th as well !! I'm so nervous!!! please let me know asap if you get a reply!!!

Hey mate

just thought I would let you know I got my conditional offer. Hopefully you get good news. Good luck.
Reply 85
Congratulations everyone! :smile:
Reply 86
Bellec and double aa

what do your last names begin with?

Thanks
Reply 87
My surname begins with C. I got an unsuccessful for adult nursing last night. I hope you hear soon and I hope it's good news :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by BelleC
My surname begins with C. I got an unsuccessful for adult nursing last night. I hope you hear soon and I hope it's good news :smile:

i thought you said you got an offer last night?
Reply 89
I have an interview on the 16th and I can't wait :smile:! Can anyone tell me what the interviews are like, and what questions are asked? Would love some info on what to expect.

Let me know if you have an interview the same day :smile:
Brittany x
Reply 90
Bellec and double aa

what do your last names begin with?

Thanks

Hey surname begins with A. Have you Heard back?
Reply 91
Original post by btownsend
I have an interview on the 16th and I can't wait :smile:! Can anyone tell me what the interviews are like, and what questions are asked? Would love some info on what to expect.

Let me know if you have an interview the same day :smile:
Brittany x

Hey Brittany

Good luck with your selection day. It was a great day by far the best university selection day I've attended. The day works out exam and group discussion plus campus tour.

The maths exam was pretty much identical to the practice test online just different figures you have to score 11 out of 12 to pass and move to group discussion. English paper is exact to the practice one online just different topic but same principles. Basically summarise the text in 5 to six lines. Their was also an essay question which may not be the same as I had. The question I got was explain a time where you solved a problem whether at school or work something like that.

The group discussion was a lot less nerve racking then I had anticipated. You get time to bond with your group on the tour campus which is great as it makes you feel more comfortable. My group was amazing. We worked really well together we allowed eachother to speak and really bounced of each other I hope they successful. The question they asked us to discuss was what issues do nurses face today? and what are the issues if a patient is refusing to take medication but these question can be random so I would read up. At the group discussion they just want to see how you are as a character so don't go in saying you don't want to work with elderly people it's obvious I know but our embassadors told us they people do make comments like that.

Just be natural, calm and collected, outgoing but not overbearing they want to see if you fit in and they do that by seeing how you interact with others. Also don't be afraid to interact and ask questions to the panelist they like that plus they really cool.

Also ask your embassadors questions they were the most help of the day and they were so cool.

Hope this helps and good luck
Reply 92
Has anyone who was at the selection day on the 18tH applying for mental health nursing heard back yet
Reply 93
Has anyone who was at the selection day on the 18tH applying for mental health nursing heard back yet

Yep. I got an offer yesterday evening; I don't know if they're processing it by surname or not. (I'm an "H" if that helps?) Really hope you receive good news.
Reply 94
i thought you said you got an offer last night?

No, that was double aa. I just said congratulations.

Brittany, my selection day was the same day as double aa so I had the same questions in my tests and group discussion. They're all really nice there, good luck.
Reply 95
Original post by doubleAA
Hey Brittany

Good luck with your selection day. It was a great day by far the best university selection day I've attended. The day works out exam and group discussion plus campus tour.

The maths exam was pretty much identical to the practice test online just different figures you have to score 11 out of 12 to pass and move to group discussion. English paper is exact to the practice one online just different topic but same principles. Basically summarise the text in 5 to six lines. Their was also an essay question which may not be the same as I had. The question I got was explain a time where you solved a problem whether at school or work something like that.

The group discussion was a lot less nerve racking then I had anticipated. You get time to bond with your group on the tour campus which is great as it makes you feel more comfortable. My group was amazing. We worked really well together we allowed eachother to speak and really bounced of each other I hope they successful. The question they asked us to discuss was what issues do nurses face today? and what are the issues if a patient is refusing to take medication but these question can be random so I would read up. At the group discussion they just want to see how you are as a character so don't go in saying you don't want to work with elderly people it's obvious I know but our embassadors told us they people do make comments like that.

Just be natural, calm and collected, outgoing but not overbearing they want to see if you fit in and they do that by seeing how you interact with others. Also don't be afraid to interact and ask questions to the panelist they like that plus they really cool.

Also ask your embassadors questions they were the most help of the day and they were so cool.

Hope this helps and good luck

Fantastic advice, and I echo all of it. The maths is incredibly similar to the practice tests on the website. Basic addition, multiplication, subtraction and division. One question about ratios and one about basic percentages. You're given a shiny little King's College calculator to assist you, and I found I didn't need the full twenty minutes. I found the English a little trickier, and found it helpful to read through the question twice and make some brief bullet points to plan my answer and thus not run out of time. Not sure how they assess it, I'm afraid.

With regards to the group discussion, the main thing they seemed to be looking for was people who were independent lateral thinkers. Obviously, brush up on the issues surrounding your branch of nursing, but it was repeatedly stated to us that a) we were not in competition and there would be places for all of us if we were right for the course, and b) they knew we wouldn't have the knowledge, but they wanted to see how we interacted and worked as a team. We had a 15/20 minute discussion and then the two interviewers asked us to reflect on how we felt the exercise had gone and how we felt as a group. I absolutely loved this part, and I'm so nervous in group interviews. Basically, be YOU. Don't be what you think they want you to be, but be yourself. As doubleAA said, get the chance to chat to your group members during the tour. You are not in competition, and it's a useful chance to break the ice.

Just want to add that the ambassador who showed me around was an absolute gold mine of information. It really wouldn't surprise me if they feed back information to the selection panel.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do brilliantly.
Reply 96
Original post by lillai23
Has anyone else been offered a place for Children's nursing at King's? There seems to be a few midwives on here :smile:

Hey! I've firmed my place at King's for child nursing too :smile:
Reply 97
Hi there! I've firmed for children's nursing at King's starting in September '12 and was wondering if there is anyone else out there aha?? There are so few of us at each uni that I'm starting to feel as though I've put in for a ghost course! I'm not from the London area as well, which might not help.

I was also wondering what everyone else on here's doing for accommodation due to our long course/placement issues.. are people applying for King's halls or going with other companies? I've looked at some from Unite but I don't know if the one I like is too far out from the campus/placement.

So yeah, if people don't mind replying then I'd feel much more reassured! I'm really looking forward to starting uni but I'm a bit anxious about finance/accommodation/knowing people aha.

Tanya :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by maryse_1271
Hi guys!! just wondering (for the pgdip) has everyone got 4 or months exprience?
and TERRIFIED about the selection day tomorrow :frown: lol

Hi, How did you find the selection day? I had mine back in March and am still awaiting their decision.
I have experience as a mental health support worker so hopefully should be OK. You? When did they say they would get back to you? Finding it hard to gauge how well (or not) I did in the group interview and getting pretty nervous now x
Reply 99
When wi

Quick Reply

Latest