Anyone think it is unfair they do Salters chemistry? Watch

navarre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Salters OCR B is the hardest exam board- that's pretty much common knowledge. I just think it's unfair that my school does this board.

I've been looking at some other exam boards, eg OCR A and AQA, and their content is sooo much easier, it would be hard for someone like me not to achieve an A in those exam boards.

However, Salters is cruel on exam papers, cruel on content and cruel on A2 investigation coursework. I have to work harder than someone with AQA for the same grade.

It isn't fair.
platty1907
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by navarre)
Salters OCR B is the hardest exam board- that's pretty much common knowledge. I just think it's unfair that my school does this board.

I've been looking at some other exam boards, eg OCR A and AQA, and their content is sooo much easier, it would be hard for someone like me not to achieve an A in those exam boards.

However, Salters is cruel on exam papers, cruel on content and cruel on A2 investigation coursework. I have to work harder than someone with AQA for the same grade.

It isn't fair.
I did OCR Salters B! Yes, it is ridiculously difficult, and the individual investigation is a pain in the ass! Looking back on it though, I'm glad I did the coursework, nice break from all the theory.

In fairness it shouldn't make too much difference seeing as everyone else will find it just as hard, it just feels like you're failing right up until you get your grade

The annoying thing was, the year below me switched to OCR A -_-
navarre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by platty1907)
I did OCR Salters B! Yes, it is ridiculously difficult, and the individual investigation is a pain in the ass! Looking back on it though, I'm glad I did the coursework, nice break from all the theory.

In fairness it shouldn't make too much difference seeing as everyone else will find it just as hard, it just feels like you're failing right up until you get your grade

The annoying thing was, the year below me switched to OCR A -_-
They're doing that this year.

Annoys me that the ones moving into yr 12 will have a far easier chemistry course and will not have to endure the same suffering I have to.

Everyone should suffer or none at all.
Freiheit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The difficulty is extremely exaggerated but I haven't done the individual investigation yet so I can't comment on that.
Hazzabanana
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Very tough.

It is just tough.

Very complex. Probably helpful for Chemistry students going on to uni but I personally don't have a preference.
ieatcheeseyo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why are there different exam boards?
And different specs within boards? OCR A and OCR B...

So we're doing a Harder course? and we still have to get the same grade :%
Piglet
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So true :/
Sarahalwan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I completely agree I did edexcel last year and it was impossible 95% of the year failed, so I left and I'm doing AQA and I honsetly can't believe the difference, I know salters is the only one harder than edexcel so I feel for you and it is unfair
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I HATE OCR B CHEMISTRY!!!

Too vague,
rubbish organisation of contents,
poorly explained textbooks,
unfair mark schemes that do not allow you to actually demonstrate what you have learnt (which is what Edexcel and AQA allow),
unrealistic amount of topics to learn in such short space of time,
horrible coursework,
unfair moderation,
dull and ridiculous textbooks,
unfair exams,
near damn impossible to achieve what you truly deserve ALL LEADS TO UNDERPERFOMANCE!

I met one of my mates from another school who does AQA. Over 60% got A in AS in his college.
In my school out of 200 people who do OCR B Salters, only 6 got A in AS.
I was not one of those 6!
deniu3545
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
YES!
Nix-j-c
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's why they has UMS scores which is what your grade is based on. This means that people who do OCR have to get less raw marks/ percentage than someone thats doing say edexcel. The rough guides for grades are 80/70/60/50/40 for a/b/c/d/e but for ocr it's usually slightly below that and for other boards it's slightly above.
MacOne
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by navarre)

It isn't fair.
To be honest, it makes no difference what exam board you do... As long as it is not impossible to achieve an A grade, the answer to the problem will always be that you are not working hard enough. Life is about adapting, we can't all get what we want. Doing past papers gives you a sense of the questions that could be asked and also understanding what examiners want from reading the mark schemes will always help. The layout of different papers tend to almost be the same each year; even if they aren't, by the time you go through all the mark schemes, you can give good judgement into what you think the answer they require for the marks.

Not tryna intentially go against you or nothing... the only thing you can do is stay positive. :bebored:
Einy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by avataraang)

Too vague,
unfair mark schemes that do not allow you to actually demonstrate what you have learnt (which is what Edexcel and AQA allow),
horrible coursework,
unfair moderation,
unfair exams,
near damn impossible to achieve what you truly deserve ALL LEADS TO UNDERPERFOMANCE!

I met one of my mates from another school who does AQA. Over 60% got A in AS in his college.
lol - love this, although i do think it overexagerates some bits. At my school, which is a comp, most people failed chemistry to and blamed it on the teachers, i think the specification focuses on weird things. For instance in thread of life, we didnt need to know the actual function of DNA or how it functions but we did need to know its atomic structure and how it binds - our teacher just totally skipped this and i only came across it when doing past papers
mentally superior
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Too vague,
horrible coursework,
unfair moderation,
unfair exams,

Mate, you need to man up a bit pal.

SALTERS is the course for the more intelligent people so you're just making yourself look less intelligent by whining about it.

"too vague" - it is the most detaild chem course out there wimp
"poorly explained textbooks" - or is it you just can't understand it?
"unfair mark schemes" not an excuse for a lack of revision on your part
"unrealistic amounts of topics" this ain't GCSE pal
"horrible cwk" - you not independent enough to do your own investiation???? (grow a pair)
"unfair moderation"- put more work in earlier
"unfair exams" - see other points

Sound to mee like your giving the course bad rep but it is more likely you lack the effort. I find the course rather easy but then i put alot of effort into the course and i have a natural ability form chemistry.

Finally, maybe you go to an underachieving school so no wonder you find the course hard.

deal with it bro
twelve
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ermm, my college gave us a choice of Salters, or OCR A. Loads of people chose OCR A because it was considered (by them at least) to be a 'proper' exam board, with 'real' exams and not the investigation. Somehow Salters students always did better on average than OCR A students - we had the same teachers for both sides, the only difference was that they were doing a different exam board.

I also chose Salters, and am really glad I did. The content is almost exactly the same as OCR A, its just taught in a different way, and tries to teach you it in a bit more of an applied way. And also tries to build on knowledge as you go along, rather than going in the first lesson 'okay, this is everything you will need to know on X subject' as OCR A does. Salters does a subject, and then comes back to it again later, in more detail which I really liked. Yes, it might be a bit more wishy washy in some places, with the storylines, but overall I wouldn't have changed it. Especially not after getting my grades!

Too vague,
horrible coursework,
unfair moderation,
unfair exams,

See what I wrote! Differences could be due to teachers as well!

EDIT: And also, if you do the prep for the investigation properly, its actually alright! NIce break from lessons anyway And as the teachers said, it'll make you much better prepared for university
Freiheit
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by twelve)

See what I wrote! Differences could be due to teachers as well!

EDIT: And also, if you do the prep for the investigation properly, its actually alright! NIce break from lessons anyway And as the teachers said, it'll make you much better prepared for university
Out of interest, what grade did you get (also for the coursework) and how did you manage to get a good grade for the coursework?

Thanks.
twelve
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Freiheit)
Out of interest, what grade did you get (also for the coursework) and how did you manage to get a good grade for the coursework?

Thanks.
I got an A*. Full marks in both A2 modules and the coursework.

All I did was work hard. Went in early a few times to do it, and generally took the time to do well. Its always better to do more research than not enough, be thorough!
stfu1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do OCR Chemistry A so I don't know anything about your coursework.
But in class we did all the relevant questions in the Chemistry B pastpapers as part of our revision.

I didn't notice a difference in difficulty.
There were a couple of differences in terms of some of the content for your unit 4 might actually appear in unit 1 or 5 for me.
But yeah, even the style of questions seemed similar to my spec.
Freiheit
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by twelve)
I got an A*. Full marks in both A2 modules and the coursework.

All I did was work hard. Went in early a few times to do it, and generally took the time to do well. Its always better to do more research than not enough, be thorough!
Congrats. Did you follow the same procedure as a previous person's coursework or did the marks scheme guide you to know what to put.
twelve
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Freiheit)
Congrats. Did you follow the same procedure as a previous person's coursework or did the marks scheme guide you to know what to put.
Noo I didn't really use a markscheme, just had a quick look of others people's to know what I needed to write (as in, I need a background chem section, a method section etc) but the rest of it was just me looking in the right places. We had a few resources the teachers picked out, but in general they left it to us to do. They'd help, but it was mostly just saying whether it was good enough and suggesting where we could look to improve it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise