The Student Room Group

Exams?, applied science?, Knowledge?

People have been complaining about the OCR Biology and (maybe) the OCR Chemistry exams...

I have a few questions... Say I wanted to study Medicine... Half my exam grade will be on "Developing fuels" What if I suck at that module?
There are only 2 "Medicine related topics" (I know I need to understand the concepts in all the modules)

So a good example would be Biology, about 2/5 of the grade will be plants and Biodiversity...something "not needed" in Medicine?

Are exams the best way to show Intelligence or memory?

Why not have more controlled course work or controlled practicals?
Original post by liverpool_x
People have been complaining about the OCR Biology and (maybe) the OCR Chemistry exams...

I have a few questions... Say I wanted to study Medicine... Half my exam grade will be on "Developing fuels" What if I suck at that module?
There are only 2 "Medicine related topics" (I know I need to understand the concepts in all the modules)

So a good example would be Biology, about 2/5 of the grade will be plants and Biodiversity...something "not needed" in Medicine?

Are exams the best way to show Intelligence or memory?

Why not have more controlled course work or controlled practicals?

You may not see the relevance of the module content (I feel your pain, I always hated ecology etc.), but a number of the underlying principles, the ability to manipulate data and use statistics, teaching you to think analytically and logically, selection and presentation of information etc. are all key things you get taught in these modules that are vital later on.

As for why not more controlled coursework and practicals, probably because of the terrible way they're set up that allows many students to cheat and the inherent unfairness in the fact that some teachers will spoonfeed their students and get them really high grades. Ever wondered why the grade boundaries for ISAs and EMPAs are so high?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Revd. Mike
You may not see the relevance of the module content (I feel your pain, I always hated ecology etc.), but a number of the underlying principles, the ability to manipulate data and use statistics, teaching you to think analytically and logically, selection and presentation of information etc. are all key things you get taught in these modules that are vital later on.

As for why not more controlled coursework and practicals, probably because of the terrible way they're set up that allows many students to cheat and the inherent unfairness in the fact that some teachers will spoonfeed their students and get them really high grades. Ever wondered why the grade boundaries for ISAs and EMPAs are so high?

Well I do and don't see it
The name of the module maybe "Plant Biology" but we may learn other aspects of Cell Biology and the theory is based around plants or something?

Slightly off topic can you exaplin this to me?

Get AS Grdaes (e.g.) ABB
Teacher will predict you AAB - So I can ONLY apply to minimum university courses with the offer AAB?
What if Im restricted and choose Y degree (But I want to study x Degree which required AAA)
Do I have to reject UCAS, and re-apply with ACTUAL grades?

Off topic, but thank you :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending