The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by danrw4
haha yeah! btw do you know why bottled water is 'el agua botellada' not 'el agua botellado'?

basically even thought it's 'el agua', 'agua' is actually feminine, which is why it's embotellada. It's 'el agua' intead of 'la agua' because they don't like having two a's together, but because it ends in a, it's feminine, so that's why it's embotellada not o :smile:
Reply 101
Original post by liviluck
basically even thought it's 'el agua', 'agua' is actually feminine, which is why it's embotellada. It's 'el agua' intead of 'la agua' because they don't like having two a's together, but because it ends in a, it's feminine, so that's why it's embotellada not o :smile:

oh right I didn't know that! Is that the same for el problema, clima etc ?
Reply 102
Original post by danrw4
oh right I didn't know that! Is that the same for el problema, clima etc ?

no, as far as I'm aware problema and clima are still masculine, apparently generally words ending in -ma are masculine! but I think it's the same for 'hambre', it's 'el hambre', but it's feminine :smile:
Reply 103
Original post by billybunslane
cheeky chicas, soy muy guapo :wink:
quisiera jugar con tu.

um... your profile says your a girl but you've described yourself as being male...what are you?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FuzzySheep
Being a Spanish student is quite lucky because there are so many resources on the internet, in books, on some online pen pal sites (www.livemocha.com) etc that are available to develop your Spanish. There's quite a few links on the Spanish learners' society, but if you google things like Spanish grammar or vocab, or if you want some podcasts or shows to watch there is RTVE and iTunes (has tonnes of Spanish news podcasts for free). If you look in your college library, there should be quite a few grammar books there too. You can probably get good access to markschemes and past papers on your exam board's website, which is another massive help.

I can sympathise because my teacher, although lovely, doesn't always explain things properly or doesn't go beyond the basics, so the internet is a godsend. It's perfectly possible with committment :smile: Sorry if this wasn't clear!

Oh I see, I regret not picking it now...If only the class didn't have a few douchebags that I can't stand. Oh well.
Reply 105
Original post by Kerrias
Hola a todos, soy estudiando el 'Higher' de Espanol, que es el mismo de 'AS-level', y pienso que estudiare el espanol por 'Advanced Higher' tambien y espero estudiar el espanol y el frances a la universidad

que no estudio el 'A-level' pero puedo paticipar aqui tambien?

Tengo una examen de prueba muy proxima, pienso que en menos de dos semanas...

Que tal a todos?

(P.D. siento por mis errores y que hay falta de puntuacion y acentos de Espanol)

utiliza el button "alt gr" para hacer accentos :wink:
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Oh I see, I regret not picking it now...If only the class didn't have a few douchebags that I can't stand. Oh well.

I have a couple of people in my relatively small AS class that don't care about Spanish/complain all the time about not liking it and wanting to drop it etc. They throw strops and hold people back all the time so it's pretty irritating, hence I'm spending loads more time outside of lessons that I should do because we have to make up for lost time independently. You'd have thought people wouldn't do this at AS/A2, so I understand where you're coming from! You can always learn it indepedently for fun, so there's no exam pressure and you can do it at your own pace. :smile:
Original post by Sem193

Original post by Sem193
Todos en mi clase, excepto yo, van a hacer el examen otra vez. Porque casi todos en tu clace van a hacer el examen otra vez? Que hay que hacer para Edexcel espanol? Es como los examenes de literatura ingles- tienen lugar en el mismo dia. Es extrano, jaja.

Porque solo una minoria logro una nota que estaba contento con. Solo dos en mi clase lograron As el ano pasado :s-smilie:
Por que tantos estudiantes en tu clase van a hacerlo?
Este examen no contiene ninguna literatura - tienes que hacer una seccion de escuchar, otro de leer y al final, tienes que escribir un ensayo de 200-220 palabras. :smile:
Reply 108
Original post by Mr. Z

Thank you, but it doesn't work on my laptop. It used to but I installed a new operating system and I don't know how to do it any more. If I try typing aeiou it types æe→ø↓. But one day I work it out haha. Thank you though :smile:
Reply 109
Original post by Mr. Z

You're a lifesaver. I've just been going crazy with the Alt Gr button now. I literally love your for this now :redface:
Reply 110
Original post by alexsasg
Porque solo una minoria logro una nota que estaba contento con. Solo dos en mi clase lograron As el ano pasado :s-smilie:
Por que tantos estudiantes en tu clase van a hacerlo?
Este examen no contiene ninguna literatura - tienes que hacer una seccion de escuchar, otro de leer y al final, tienes que escribir un ensayo de 200-220 palabras. :smile:

Pues, todos las personas en mi clase, excepto yo, no lograron una buena nota en espaol. Mi amiga logró una C por AS espanol y fue casi una B así que va a hacer el examen otra vez. Los demás lograron una nota peor que esto. Tu examen es como el examen en AQA pero se puede escribir más de 220 palabras, pienso.

Buena suerte a ellos que van a hacer un examen manana!!
I have spanish homework for tomorrow and I've been paintballing for hours today, so knackered, not sure if my brain will handle it.
Reply 112
Original post by liviluck
Well I got my paper back, and I did make loads of stupid accuracy mistakes, but that didn't really explain my content mark:/. Hahah thank you :smile:, I've done a lot of work for it, but still rather worried!
Yeah, I think the summer exams were all much harder than the past papers this year, and all the grade boundaries went up- the examiners were obviously all feeling particularly harsh last summer lol.
Oh no, that's really annoying, I hate it when teachers don't give work back, it's really hard to make progress without regular feedback:s-smilie:. Yeah he did, that was apparently one of his most famous paintings:smile: although I have to learn every detail about that painting which is going to be tricky:s-smilie:. The Spanish Civil War sounds interesting, I wish I could've learnt about that, I'm much more into history than art!
I think the A2 oral will be a bit more interesting than the AS, and hopefully we'll be able to learn the discussion more towards where we want it to go, the way we have to argue our opinions and stuff sounds good anyway! So I wouldn't worry too much, maybe your teacher will give you more specific oral practice near the exam? You could ask her about it, and if she refuses, speak to your head of year/department?
Yeah, I might try and do that over the holidays, because I'm a bit worried that most people will have done some kind of literature as one of their cultural topics and I'll be the only one that hasn't :s-smilie:. I try to read Spanish articles online and stuff when I have a spare moment, but at the same time I want to focus most of my efforts on getting the best grades possible in the actual exams! For Andalucia we're doing a bit of everything really, we're kind of applying the other topics like environment and immigration to it, and then doing about the climate, geography, tourism etc. It's quite interesting but I think I prefer the general topics to the cultural ones. How are you finding the general topics? :smile:

The grade boundaries always go up in the summer unless the exam was horrible. My D1 paper was so terrible that you could drop almost 30 marks and still get an A! I wish you good luck again for tomorrow! Don't worry, you'll do great!!
I might politely ask for some of my homework back tomorrow, haha. We get the work we do in class marked sometimes, but that's about it.
Thank God I wasn't going crazy. I always mix things and people up, so I thought that we probably didn't talk about Picasso but some other Spanish artist, lol. You have to learn every detail about the painting? :eek: Woah, that sounds hard, but you can add your own interpretations to the details so that's always a plus :smile: We started off learning about the Spanish Civil War to learn more about Francisco Franco. My teacher said learning about the Spanish Civil was is boring because you have to talk about battles etc., but you have a lot more to talk about with Franco. In our last lesson we talked about 'Las Mujeres bajo el Franquismo" and I think I could talk a lot about that in my oral exam and in an essay. We also talk about what life was like for different kinds of people during Franco's leadership and how Spain changed as a country. Here's a vid of the way women were meant to act during Franco's leadership (It's so sexist): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7EavUtAOyI
Yeah, the A2 oral will be more interesting, but it's so hard. I am really dreading it. I think I'll have my oral with the teacher that I despise too. She also says she's a little deaf, even though she doesn't want to get her ears checked, and we constantly have to repeat stuff to her in class. She mainly says "I didn't hear you" or "I didn't hear a word you said" in class and I don't want my oral exam to be like that!
I might read some Spanish literature this summer :smile: It's easier to watch a Spanish film than to read a Spanish book. I understand what you're saying. I think I may just focus more on the A2 content and the things we have to do in the exam than reading Spanish articles after my January exams. I might do a past paper too, or a section on a past paper :smile: Learning about Andalucia sounds very interesting. I think I should have learnt about a Spanish speaking country because my geography is appalling. I literally don't know where any place is in Spain :s-smilie:
I'm finding the general topics okay. We haven't gone through everything yet, but I think I like the immigration topic and the environment topic a lot. We started the Science and Technology topic last week, but I missed that lesson :colondollar: I'm actually looking forward to studying Volver because I love Almodovar and have seen many of his films. I've already seen Volver and found it all right, but I've watched tons of his old films with Carmen Maura after I watched Volver so it'll be interesting to watch the film again and see her in a new light as an old woman. I just watched La Piel que Habito today and it's such a sad and strange film. Have you seen it?
¡Hola todo el mundo! Estudio el español para mis “A-levels” en este momento y me encanta mucho. Sin embargo, hoy en día tengo un examen de español (de AS) y me siento muy muy MUY nervioso.

No obstante, me encanta el español. ¿Qué libros/películas/regiones estudias en este año? Yo estudio “El Túnel” por Ernesto Sábato y “El laberinto del fauno” de Guillermo del Toro.

¡Lo siento si existes errores! :p: :smile:
Reply 114
Original post by British_Student^^
¡Hola todo el mundo! Estudio el español para mis “A-levels” en este momento y me encanta mucho. Sin embargo, hoy en día tengo un examen de español (de AS) y me siento muy muy MUY nervioso.

No obstante, me encanta el español. ¿Qué libros/películas/regiones estudias en este año? Yo estudio “El Túnel” por Ernesto Sábato y “El laberinto del fauno” de Guillermo del Toro.

¡Lo siento si existes errores! :p: :smile:

Estudias AQA espanol? Cómo encontraste el examen hoy? Estudio el tema 'Espana bajo el franquismo' y la película 'Volver'. Me encanta 'El Laberinto del fauno'! Has visto otras películas espanolas u otras pelis de del Toro?

Nosotros todos hacemos errores! No pasa nada!
Hola, estudio 'la Transición' y 'La lengua de las mariposas' - muy bonita!

Tuve mi examen de AS hoy, fue bastante fácil (:
Hay alguien que haya acabado con el exámen de AS para OCR? En mi opinión fue un hijo de puta (no me voy a pedir perdón porque lo es) y me siento que fracasaré la seccion de listening. Traté de escuchar todas las partes otra vez pero nunca entendí nada. Lo odié muchísimo, pero por lo menos la sección de essay writing fue bastante fácil ... pero joder, me voy a perdir muchas notas por el listening! Parece que la 'A' se me irá y con ella mi offer para la uni sl;kja;sdlfkjasl;dfjas;dlfk
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 117
Original post by British_Student^^

Me encanta la pelicula 'El Laberinto del Fauno"! Lo que me gusta mas era la escena del banquuete delmuerto porque pienso que tenia mucho suspenso! Sin embargo, los efectos especiales, a mi juicio, eran un poco flogas, el fauno no me convencio porque parecia demasiado a un hombre! Pero pienso que era una peli Espanola muy buena :smile:

apologies for the lack of accents...
Reply 118
Me encanta la pelicula 'El Laberinto del Fauno"! Lo que me gusta mas era la escena del banquuete delmuerto porque pienso que tenia mucho suspenso! Sin embargo, los efectos especiales, a mi juicio, eran un poco flogas, el fauno no me convencio porque parecia demasiado a un hombre! Pero pienso que era una peli Espanola muy buena

apologies for the lack of accents...
Reply 119
Original post by Sem193
The grade boundaries always go up in the summer unless the exam was horrible. My D1 paper was so terrible that you could drop almost 30 marks and still get an A! I wish you good luck again for tomorrow! Don't worry, you'll do great!!
I might politely ask for some of my homework back tomorrow, haha. We get the work we do in class marked sometimes, but that's about it.
Thank God I wasn't going crazy. I always mix things and people up, so I thought that we probably didn't talk about Picasso but some other Spanish artist, lol. You have to learn every detail about the painting? :eek: Woah, that sounds hard, but you can add your own interpretations to the details so that's always a plus :smile: We started off learning about the Spanish Civil War to learn more about Francisco Franco. My teacher said learning about the Spanish Civil was is boring because you have to talk about battles etc., but you have a lot more to talk about with Franco. In our last lesson we talked about 'Las Mujeres bajo el Franquismo" and I think I could talk a lot about that in my oral exam and in an essay. We also talk about what life was like for different kinds of people during Franco's leadership and how Spain changed as a country. Here's a vid of the way women were meant to act during Franco's leadership (It's so sexist): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7EavUtAOyI
Yeah, the A2 oral will be more interesting, but it's so hard. I am really dreading it. I think I'll have my oral with the teacher that I despise too. She also says she's a little deaf, even though she doesn't want to get her ears checked, and we constantly have to repeat stuff to her in class. She mainly says "I didn't hear you" or "I didn't hear a word you said" in class and I don't want my oral exam to be like that!
I might read some Spanish literature this summer :smile: It's easier to watch a Spanish film than to read a Spanish book. I understand what you're saying. I think I may just focus more on the A2 content and the things we have to do in the exam than reading Spanish articles after my January exams. I might do a past paper too, or a section on a past paper :smile: Learning about Andalucia sounds very interesting. I think I should have learnt about a Spanish speaking country because my geography is appalling. I literally don't know where any place is in Spain :s-smilie:
I'm finding the general topics okay. We haven't gone through everything yet, but I think I like the immigration topic and the environment topic a lot. We started the Science and Technology topic last week, but I missed that lesson :colondollar: I'm actually looking forward to studying Volver because I love Almodovar and have seen many of his films. I've already seen Volver and found it all right, but I've watched tons of his old films with Carmen Maura after I watched Volver so it'll be interesting to watch the film again and see her in a new light as an old woman. I just watched La Piel que Habito today and it's such a sad and strange film. Have you seen it?

Hi, I think it went OK today. The reading and listening were definitely less ambiguous than last time:smile:. Don't know how I did on the writing as after last time I can never judge how I've done on that!
Haha, did you get any of your work back today? Hahha don't worry, when my Spanish teacher said we were going to be doing Picasso I said, 'is that the one who cut his ear off' and my friend was like urrmm that was Van Gogh! That's how bad I am at art!!
Ah that sounds really interesting, sounds a little like what we're doing in French (France under German occupation during 2nd World War:biggrin:) I love learning about how people lived, I find it much more interesting and I can relate to it a bit more than art hahah:smile:
Yeah my geography is horrendous, my Spanish teacher had to go back to basics with Andalucia just so I could understand the geography... fortunately one of my friends does geography a level so she was able to help me out:smile:
Don't worry, she's probably just doing that in class (although that sounds really irritating and she should get her ears checked!!) and hopefully when it's just you and her she'll be fine on the whole hearing front!
I should probably try watching Spanish films, the problem is I'm not very good at actually sitting still for 2 hours and watching a film, I just sit there thinking of all the other things I could be doing haha, i'll just have to convince myself of the benefits:smile:
Yeah, immigration and environment are good:smile: I found the wealth and poverty topic pretty interesting as well because I could relate it back to my economics which was helpful! We've got two teachers so we're doing integration/racism with one and we're about half way through the one on young delinquents with the other one.
I haven't seen that, but it sounds interesting, haha, sounds like I should make a list of Spanish films to watch over the summer! :biggrin:
What other subjects do you do?

Latest