The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Belle-x
Saw a sign up today in Liverpool for somebody selling some tickets...£500 each :eek:

I saw that on my way to the Brighton game. "VIP Gold" tickets apparently O_o
Reply 3001
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/reds-confirm-stoke-date-1

Stoke on 18 March 4pm, just over 24 hours later than when we we due to play QPR away.

Still no news on QPR or Everton reschedule, but I think for the Everton match, the FA are going to wait to see how both clubs fare at FA cup. Plus there is to be TV coverage too... so it can't be in CL nights...
Original post by mr tim
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/reds-confirm-stoke-date-1

Stoke on 18 March 4pm, just over 24 hours later than when we we due to play QPR away.

Still no news on QPR or Everton reschedule, but I think for the Everton match, the FA are going to wait to see how both clubs fare at FA cup. Plus there is to be TV coverage too... so it can't be in CL nights...

I heard the 21st being rumoured for the derby. Don't know when else we could do it tbh :confused:

Shelvey's going on loan to Middlesbrough after the final.
Ffs I was hoping so much it'd be on the Saturday for the Stoke game, but no it's on a Sunday but I'm working Sunday afternoon so I can't go and there's no way I can get out of it. ACS too so auto getting a ticket. Just flog it to my mates dad or something I guess..
Original post by L18
There'll be **** loads of Cardiff ones outside.

Doubt it. It's quite far to travel without a ticket when the club has made it perfectly clear they aren't selling any to anyone who isn't a member or on the database.

Original post by ChrisWilliams
Yep. Nearly 10k went on General Sale didn't they? Tout central!

Haha, it was like 1,500 to people on the database, but they sold like instantly. Cardiff sold 32,500 in total by Tuesday so almost a week before kick-off.

Original post by WelshBluebird
Umm no they didn't. About 2k did. And that was to people on the club database.

:yep: You going to the game?

Original post by ChrisWilliams
Just had a good start to the weekend with my exams results, passed them all, and hopefully it'll carry on with a massive Wales win tomorrow at Twickenham and a win for the mighty Reds on Sunday!

Congrats! :biggrin: And I agree with the bold bit, but not the bit after :tongue:

Original post by Belle-x
Saw a sign up today in Liverpool for somebody selling some tickets...£500 each :eek:

Yep, not surprised. I could get about £500 for mine if I wanted. But this is probably the biggest game a Bluebird will watch so i'm definitely going! :biggrin:
Reply 3005
If we get through, then our game won't be on the Sunday as its hillsborough... possibly will be on the Saturday I guess then.
Original post by mr tim
If we get through, then our game won't be on the Sunday as its hillsborough... possibly will be on the Saturday I guess then.

Yeah will be on the Saturday if we get there, fingers crossed. And then to Anfield on the 15th for the service.
Original post by L18
Erm. Sorry, but thats the biggest load of **** i've ever ****ing heard.

I'm sorry but I don't think it is. Before this strong show of emotion by Rafa all I ever heard or read was bad things about Rafa, after this sentiments changed and people became well more sentimental towards Rafa and focused more on what he did achieve rather than his flaws, rightly so really.

It's the same with Mascherano tbh, I know you'll think this is a ''big load of ****'' too but after his comment at the end of the champions league final there's a lot less hate towards him compared to when he first moved, whereas Torres's level of hate is still the same. Obviously a little dilluted by how crap he's doing.

I honestly believe this, it's just something i've noticed. Fans are as fickle as hell, especially the ones that aren't too passionate. It takes ONE move to lose them and to gain them.
Original post by lifeshard
I'm sorry but I don't think it is. Before this strong show of emotion by Rafa all I ever heard or read was bad things about Rafa, after this sentiments changed and people became well more sentimental towards Rafa and focused more on what he did achieve rather than his flaws, rightly so really.

It's the same with Mascherano tbh, I know you'll think this is a ''big load of ****'' too but after his comment at the end of the champions league final there's a lot less hate towards him compared to when he first moved, whereas Torres's level of hate is still the same. Obviously a little dilluted by how crap he's doing.

I honestly believe this, it's just something i've noticed. Fans are as fickle as hell, especially the ones that aren't too passionate. It takes ONE move to lose them and to gain them.

Stop reading **** papers and watching so much Sky.
Original post by -Someone-Like-You-

:yep: You going to the game?

Yeps. Got the cheap tickets though, so right up in the gods! Block 532, row 30 (6 rows from the very back).
Pretty much the same place I was for the Blackpool play off game, and for the two FA cup games.
Can't wait!
Original post by Zerforax
Stop reading **** papers and watching so much Sky.

Omg, if you disagree just say so and give me reasons as to why. Maybe it'll change my mind too. But i'm not kidding, I see this a lot, in general opinion and on forums and the influx of recent Rafa support. SKY presents Rafa as a blinkered blundering idiot, so how does that even link?
Omg, if you disagree just say so and give me reasons as to why. Maybe it'll change my mind too. But i'm not kidding, I see this a lot, in general opinion and on forums and the influx of recent Rafa support. SKY presents Rafa as a blinkered blundering idiot, so how does that even link?

Fine I'll indulge since I'm bored.

I disagree with your statement from earlier. :wink:

By the end of Rafa's first season in charge, he won the champions league with a cup final which will forever live in Kopites hearts. It will be described as THE final for years to come yet.

Think that will have endeared him to a number of fans.
Original post by WelshBluebird
Yeps. Got the cheap tickets though, so right up in the gods! Block 532, row 30 (6 rows from the very back).
Pretty much the same place I was for the Blackpool play off game, and for the two FA cup games.
Can't wait!

Nice! I'm in block 130 or 131 can't remember but it's lower tier and row 7 so pretty much mid view-pitch side. Can't wait either. :sogood: I made a thread in 'Football Match Discussion' forum about predictions and scorers. Have a look at it and make one :smile:
Fine I'll indulge since I'm bored.

I disagree with your statement from earlier. :wink:

By the end of Rafa's first season in charge, he won the champions league with a cup final which will forever live in Kopites hearts. It will be described as THE final for years to come yet.

Think that will have endeared him to a number of fans.

Yeah but this feat could have been overshadowed by the fact that we had one horrendous and umimaginable season in 09/10 and culminated in the departure of Rafa Benitez himself. Rafas first season was truly a great but we know how fans are, everything is about here and now, look at Wenger for proof of that. During invincibles season would you have ever thought people would be calling for his head? No doubt when they finish outside of the top four which I think is a massive possibility, he will be given the grace of leaving by ''will'' but we know he would have been forced out by pure fan pressure.

And then a little while later, things are looking a bit brighter for the Gunners and Wenger makes an appearance and lets his emotion overwhelm him. Everything is forgiven and he is once again a cult hero.

I don't understand what is so unreasonable about this scenario?
Yeah but this feat could have been overshadowed by the fact that we had one horrendous and umimaginable season in 09/10 and culminated in the departure of Rafa Benitez himself. Rafas first season was truly a great but we know how fans are, everything is about here and now, look at Wenger for proof of that. During invincibles season would you have ever thought people would be calling for his head? No doubt when they finish outside of the top four which I think is a massive possibility, he will be given the grace of leaving by ''will'' but we know he would have been forced out by pure fan pressure.

And then a little while later, things are looking a bit brighter for the Gunners and Wenger makes an appearance and lets his emotion overwhelm him. Everything is forgiven and he is once again a cult hero.

I don't understand what is so unreasonable about this scenario?

Well anyone who thinks finishing 7th one season outweighs a European cup is retarded. Rafa's departure was more to do with G&H and Purslow.

Tbfh I have a low opinion of the people who are calling for Wenger's head and the media circus against him.

If you're talking about general popular opinion, then in that sense you're probably right about managers going up and falling in esteem based on results. Obviously if you win the league, you're going to be held in a higher opinion than if you finish 10th.

But your original statement was:

Also it's important to note the english press and most opposition fans, including most Liverpool fans hate Rafa and think he is stubborn, plays ugly football and ruins talent. They think he is the reason we came 7th in 09/10. Couple that with his failures at Inter, as much as we like to think he is. Rafa is just not very highly esteemed anymore, sadly.

Other than fickle "fans" who read ****ty papers and watch Sky thinks what you've written.

Ugly football? I didn't hear anyone say that when we finished 2nd and were destroying Utd and Real Madrid.

Ruins talent? Torres has never played as good as he did under Benitez when playing for Atletico, Spain or Chelsea. He put Mascherano on the map after that disastrous spell at West Ham. He picked out and developed Lucas, who everyone raves out. Plenty of players did well under Benitez. The only ones who failed were the ones with bad attitudes like Babel and Pennant.

Yes Benitez is the only one to fail at Inter. Let's ignore Gasperini, Ranieri who's going to get sacked soon and Leonardo who was smart enough not to stick around.
Well anyone who thinks finishing 7th one season outweighs a European cup is retarded. Rafa's departure was more to do with G&H and Purslow.

This G&H reason is what most fans tout now, but just after Rafas departure the biggest and most overly said reason was the fact that Rafa was STUBBORN. Same as Wenger lol. Winning the European cup was in 2005, it was 2009 and we didn't even have the chance to play in the Champions League. Not like we finish 5th, a few points off fourth, no 7th, below Aston Villa. Which was absolutely reprehensible and for a club of Liverpools stature, rightly so. We were going nowhere and fast and notably still haven't left that slump. Like I said everything is judged in the here and now.

I think Arsenal fans would be justified in thinking that missing out on fourth place for the first time in Wengers reign when the signs were clear in the previous seasons and Wenger and the board doing nothing to alleviate this and sold their best players to boot is a good enough reason to want a new manager. You know, out with the old in with the new. It's not like ''if it aint broke don't fix it'' it is broke and it needs fixing.

Ugly football? I didn't hear anyone say that when we finished 2nd and were destroying Utd and Real Madrid.

You haven't heard anyone critisize us in the Champions League have you, the only thing people could say negative about Liverpool in Europe is the fact that our football wasn't deemed ''attractive'' enough. Even though it was just basic tactics, keep it tight away from home and nick a goal in the second leg especially when you're playing against the likes of Barcelona. No one points out the fact that we were absolutely rampant against the supposed better teams in the 08/09 season. 5 - 0 on aggregrate against Real Madrid? Most of those goals coming away from home? I know that RM team was nowhere near as great as this one but it was still a mean feat to accomplish. I think thats the only season where Rafas football style was not constantly picked at.

Ruins talent? Torres has never played as good as he did under Benitez when playing for Atletico, Spain or Chelsea. He put Mascherano on the map after that disastrous spell at West Ham. He picked out and developed Lucas, who everyone raves out. Plenty of players did well under Benitez. The only ones who failed were the ones with bad attitudes like Babel and Pennant.

I don't think he ruins talent. I think he's one of the main reasons why our youth system has been producing such good players the past few years and why Pep Guardiola himself said that the only youth academy he feels rivals La Massia is Liverpool's. But I have heard this myth thrown around quite a bit about Rafa in the media, that he hasn't got an eye for young talent and persists with crap players or benches and ruins the development of gifted players.

Yes Benitez is the only one to fail at Inter. Let's ignore Gasperini, Ranieri who's going to get sacked soon and Leonardo who was smart enough not to stick around.

Yeah but mainstream premier league fans don't pay attention to anything that isn't premier league related, the names Gasperini, Ranieri are meangingless to them. Benitez they know and they use as fuel. You know what I mean, the ones that say the premier league is the biggest and best league in the whole world and everything else is 'lesser'.
This G&H reason is what most fans tout now, but just after Rafas departure the biggest and most overly said reason was the fact that Rafa was STUBBORN. Same as Wenger lol. Winning the European cup was in 2005, it was 2009 and we didn't even have the chance to play in the Champions League. Not like we finish 5th, a few points off fourth, no 7th, below Aston Villa. Which was absolutely reprehensible and for a club of Liverpools stature, rightly so. We were going nowhere and fast and notably still haven't left that slump. Like I said everything is judged in the here and now.

I think Arsenal fans would be justified in thinking that missing out on fourth place for the first time in Wengers reign when the signs were clear in the previous seasons and Wenger and the board doing nothing to alleviate this and sold their best players to boot is a good enough reason to want a new manager. You know, out with the old in with the new. It's not like ''if it aint broke don't fix it'' it is broke and it needs fixing.

You haven't heard anyone critisize us in the Champions League have you, the only thing people could say negative about Liverpool in Europe is the fact that our football wasn't deemed ''attractive'' enough. Even though it was just basic tactics, keep it tight away from home and nick a goal in the second leg especially when you're playing against the likes of Barcelona. No one points out the fact that we were absolutely rampant against the supposed better teams in the 08/09 season. 5 - 0 on aggregrate against Real Madrid? Most of those goals coming away from home? I know that RM team was nowhere near as great as this one but it was still a mean feat to accomplish. I think thats the only season where Rafas football style was not constantly picked at.

I don't think he ruins talent. I think he's one of the main reasons why our youth system has been producing such good players the past few years and why Pep Guardiola himself said that the only youth academy he feels rivals La Massia is Liverpool's. But I have heard this myth thrown around quite a bit about Rafa in the media, that he hasn't got an eye for young talent and persists with crap players or benches and ruins the development of gifted players.

Yeah but mainstream premier league fans don't pay attention to anything that isn't premier league related, the names Gasperini, Ranieri are meangingless to them. Benitez they know and they use as fuel. You know what I mean, the ones that say the premier league is the biggest and best league in the whole world and everything else is 'lesser'.

Half of your post contradicts or goes off on a tangent to your initial post which I was responding to..

Beneitez got fired because:
1. We finished 7th - without this, no one would have had ammunition to fire him
2. He continuously made a stand against G&H and Purslow
3. The press didn't like him and were happy to have an agenda against him

The combination of the above meant he was fired. Where does being stubborn come into this?

We finished 7th but we were 7 points off 4th, we had a bad season but it's not like we became relegation struggles, no wait that happened under good old Woy. Despite City spending all their cash, they couldn't get 4th in that season.

The reality is that most fans are morons and after instant gratification. You listen to Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Liverpool (and in future could be Spurs fans) and they expect to win the title or finish top4 or win silverware. Do people not understand the mathematically issue here? Everyone cannot win at the same time! Therefore everyone needs to stop being so short sighted.

Another common mistake, like your Arsenal example is that people like you assume that if you change something, it magically becomes better. It doesn't, it creates instability and you don't get everyone pulling towards a common goal. And it definitely makes you worse over the long term. I'm hopefully that the owners don't become reactionary.

Or if we don't finish 4th, do you think we should fire Kenny because it's apparently broken here too?

Who gives a flying **** if others think we play attractive football or not? Kenny doesn't talk about playing attractive football, he talks about playing the Liverpool way. We don't need anyone else's praise or concerns about our style of play.

Again contradicting your initial post about ruining talent. :rolleyes: Like I said before, don't read **** papers and watch so much Sky - you've just specifically said what the press think. The press are idiots, shovelling stupid ideas down the masses. Go form you own opinion.

Mainstream premier league fans? Again, I try to ignore morons like this. Your never going to convince an idiot that he's an idiot, nor change his opinion so there's no point in wasting your breath. Couldn't care less if they decide to remain ignorant.
TOMORROW!

I got my match programme through yesterday. Only £6.30 from LFC Store with my discount - it's a big ass A4 thing so glad I have got it in advance; there would've been nowhere to put it during the match! I need to start reading it, lots of good interviews in there it looks like.. although half of it is just adverts ffs
Reply 3018
24 hrs. Where are we watching for those who ain't got tickets?
Newcastle drop 2 points, even if Chelsea win their game.

Latest