The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Fifa president Sepp Blatter on goal-line technology: "We don't want a repeat of the last World Cup. After experiences in last week, in Italy, I think I can convince the IFAB board that we must go forward with technology, we cannot afford to just wait and see what happens."

What a tool. Has been against technology all this time but now jumps onto the bandwagon because he thinks it will make him look better. Video replay or no technology at all. Goal line technology is just a waste of money.
Original post by Zerforax
Fifa president Sepp Blatter on goal-line technology: "We don't want a repeat of the last World Cup. After experiences in last week, in Italy, I think I can convince the IFAB board that we must go forward with technology, we cannot afford to just wait and see what happens."

What a tool. Has been against technology all this time but now jumps onto the bandwagon because he thinks it will make him look better. Video replay or no technology at all. Goal line technology is just a waste of money.

There are no real costs of video replay are there? Some guy in the stands watches Sky Sports and tells the ref what to do. We have the technology in place but it's not being used. I would be in favour of a 'challenger' system like in tennis and cricket. Each captain would have only 1 challenge a match so they wouldn't waste it on trivial things but save it for the big decisions. That way we wouldn't have too many breaks in play (well, not necessarily any of the ref does a decent job). It would also make it easier to assess refereeing performances.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow! Both sides are on a high. I feel like Arshavin should have been kept for this. And maybe Arsenal should've brought back Baptista and Aliadiere too.
Original post by L18
Actually, National teams can make you play.

Gerrard could quite easily have come up with saying he has some kind of injury niggle that would have meant withdrawing from the side to face Holland. He didn't and that's because he obviously wanted to play some part of this match -completely understandable really, given that we're leading into the Euros in the summer - potentially the last major England tournament Gerrard will feature in.

Don't blame England, Pearce and co. for any slight niggle Gerrard may now have. Gerrard is a grown up, well, sometimes. He has a voice and if he has any injury concerns, he should inform those who need to be informed.

Never a Liverpool player's fault is it? Blame anyone other than your own. Seriously lame.
Original post by Overmars
There are no real costs of video replay are there? Some guy in the stands watches Sky Sports and tells the ref what to do. We have the technology in place but it's not being used. I would be in favour of a 'challenger' system like in tennis and cricket. Each captain would have only 1 challenge a match so they wouldn't waste it on trivial things but save it for the big decisions. That way we wouldn't have too many breaks in play (well, not necessarily any of the ref does a decent job). It would also make it easier to assess refereeing performances.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow! Both sides are on a high. I feel like Arshavin should have been kept for this. And maybe Arsenal should've brought back Baptista and Aliadiere too.

Well there would be no added cost to the top tier of the game. In theory the lower tiers may not be able to afford it but imo that's the same as in the premier league, you're required to have underheating for the pitches but the lower teams aren't required due to the expense.

Tbfh, when you get a controversial decision, you usually get players surrounding the ref and arguing, which wastes a lot of time too, in that time, we could have had a decision. Anything that is marginal should be given in favour of the offender (so if not sure if a handball or a penalty) or as the ref was going to give his decision originally.

They said recently in an article that refs got 92% of the decisions correct. 8% of mistakes (whether minor or massive) is ridiculous for a sport which is worth billions at the top. We might not get every decision perfect even with technology but we'll get to at least 99%.

I wouldn't be surprised if the sports broadcasters and pubs etc were aganist it since controversy means they can sit their with their pundits to discuss or have phone ins or people will stay at the pub longer to talk or drown their bitterness.
Original post by white_haired_wizard
Gerrard could quite easily have come up with saying he has some kind of injury niggle that would have meant withdrawing from the side to face Holland. He didn't and that's because he obviously wanted to play some part of this match -completely understandable really, given that we're leading into the Euros in the summer - potentially the last major England tournament Gerrard will feature in.

Don't blame England, Pearce and co. for any slight niggle Gerrard may now have. Gerrard is a grown up, well, sometimes. He has a voice and if he has any injury concerns, he should inform those who need to be informed.

Never a Liverpool player's fault is it? Blame anyone other than your own. Seriously lame.

No doubt you would've accused Gerrard of favouring Liverpool over England for a false injury if he had done that.

He's obligated to play if he's called up.
They said recently in an article that refs got 92% of the decisions correct. 8% of mistakes (whether minor or massive) is ridiculous for a sport which is worth billions at the top. We might not get every decision perfect even with technology but we'll get to at least 99%.

Well that's just it, isn't it -- nobody gives a flying **** about a wrong decision on a tug on the halfway line. We can live with that. But for the crucial match-defining moments, we want the right calls being made. So I don't think the 99% is necessary crucial, but 99% on the 1 or 2 'big' calls during the game, yes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the sports broadcasters and pubs etc were aganist it since controversy means they can sit their with their pundits to discuss or have phone ins or people will stay at the pub longer to talk or drown their bitterness.

Well, to be honest, whether we like to admit it or not, that is part of the fun of football. Top flight football has become increasingly rubbish and about the money men, but having a go at the tosser in the black is a unifying part of football. Controversy is fun. **** the pundits/'experts' in the studio -- I don't listen to that stuff anyway, but we all love a good moan. But there have to be limits to the injustice certain teams suffer. We accept refs have a hard job and a challenger system would actually reward referees who do tend to do a good job.
(edited 12 years ago)
No doubt you would've accused Gerrard of favouring Liverpool over England for a false injury if he had done that.

He's obligated to play if he's called up.

Gerrard evidently wanted to play and wants to cement his place in the squad for the Euros. No-one is 'making' anyone play. England, Pearce etc didn't make/force Gerrard to play against Holland. That sort of suggestion is silly. I'd like to think Gerrard has enough sense to know that if he were to have a niggle, then he'd be rational/logical and decide to pull out, knowing that a serious injury could jeopardize his ambitions to play in the Euros in the summer, only 3 or so months away now. Other players pulled out of the squad to face Holland because of injuries, moderate or mild injuries, he certainly wouldn't be standing out like a sore thumb if he were to have pulled out.

Did someone say it was 72 hours after the Carling Cup final?? Someone here in this thread has also said his international appearance against Holland was after he spent '120 mins running into the ground' against Cardiff.

Liverpool were so wasteful, Gerrard and his colleagues only have themselves to blame for their ineptitude, lack of that clinical/killer touch in the final, unable to beat a Championship side in 120 minutes and only victorious in the lottery that is a penalty shoot-out.

I hope Gerrard uses an ice bath after games to promote the post-match recovery process. You really do wonder sometimes if professional players utilize all they can to promote and enhance their physical health. Tbh, the lad did have 3 full days, or thereabouts, to recover from that carling cup final.
Give up squabbling jeez. Most people come here just to aggrevate and generalise Liverpool supporters.
He is injured, get over it. There was a point this thread had a productive debate.

On another note;LINK

Lol, this would be pretty funny.
(edited 12 years ago)
Well there would be no added cost to the top tier of the game. In theory the lower tiers may not be able to afford it but imo that's the same as in the premier league, you're required to have underheating for the pitches but the lower teams aren't required due to the expense.

Tbfh, when you get a controversial decision, you usually get players surrounding the ref and arguing, which wastes a lot of time too, in that time, we could have had a decision. Anything that is marginal should be given in favour of the offender (so if not sure if a handball or a penalty) or as the ref was going to give his decision originally.

The best idea would be to have the system they have in tennis and cricket. Basicly the players have a number of appeals and if they appeal a decision that was correct they lose 1 appeal, if the players were right then then keep it and the decision is over turned. If they have 2 appeals per game if the players are dead certain it's a wrong decision they won't get screwed over, unless they waste their appeals in which case tough ****.
It's a good balance because there is still chance for talking points and contraversy if they run out of appeals.
Original post by m:)ckel
It's trivialising because screaming racism at something like this actually mocks the seriousness of the issue. As Rainy said, it's especially disappointing that the director of OBV - supposedly an organisation which works closely with black people - felt it was necessary to speak out like that. Perhaps he's trying to make a name for himself.

Makes sence if you look at it from that angle I guess. =P
Should we not be looking at Lucas Podolski? I haven't seen enough of him but doesn't he play as an inside forward? Would be a good replacement for Kuyt (if he plays on the right).
Reply 3352
Gerrard evidently wanted to play and wants to cement his place in the squad for the Euros. No-one is 'making' anyone play. England, Pearce etc didn't make/force Gerrard to play against Holland. That sort of suggestion is silly.

No. But the england medical team should of said 'Steven, your not fit to play no matter what you say'.

Every player in the world will push themselves even if they know they are injured. Gerrard will of known full well he was pushing his limit, and the medical staff should have as well. Both of them are to blame.

Liverpool were so wasteful, Gerrard and his colleagues only have themselves to blame for their ineptitude, lack of that clinical/killer touch in the final, unable to beat a Championship side in 120 minutes and only victorious in the lottery that is a penalty shoot-out.

Thats got nothing to do with Englands duty to look after their players.

The reason its so ****ing annoying is because England have now broken him the last two times he has travelled with the squad. Once because they refused to take him off after 45 minutes, and once because they played him when he shouldn't have.

If LFC we're playing a league game on the wednesday, Gerrard wouldn't of played.

Gerrard evidently wanted to play and wants to cement his place in the squad for the Euros. No-one is 'making' anyone play. England, Pearce etc didn't make/force Gerrard to play against Holland. That sort of suggestion is silly. I'd like to think Gerrard has enough sense to know that if he were to have a niggle, then he'd be rational/logical and decide to pull out, knowing that a serious injury could jeopardize his ambitions to play in the Euros in the summer, only 3 or so months away now. Other players pulled out of the squad to face Holland because of injuries, moderate or mild injuries, he certainly wouldn't be standing out like a sore thumb if he were to have pulled out.

Did someone say it was 72 hours after the Carling Cup final?? Someone here in this thread has also said his international appearance against Holland was after he spent '120 mins running into the ground' against Cardiff.

I hope Gerrard uses an ice bath after games to promote the post-match recovery process. You really do wonder sometimes if professional players utilize all they can to promote and enhance their physical health. Tbh, the lad did have 3 full days, or thereabouts, to recover from that carling cup final.

Link

So much for people are not 'forced' to play.
Reply 3354

:lol:
Reply 3355
For those on twitter, @mr11ok - Maxi Rodriguez - has joined...
Original post by So Instinct

Link

So much for people are not 'forced' to play.

So a manager who is well known as someone to moan and complain about everything says some players were forced to play for a different country and that means that Gerrard was forced to play for England. Okay then.
Just seen how bad Fiorentina are doing this season. Down at 15th in Serie A.

Definitely a team we should be trying to raid.

Jovetic, Montolivio, Vargas, De Silvestri are all good players. Probably don't need the latter two although I have a man crush on Vargas and think he would be perfect on the left and we have Johnson/Kelly for RB so no need for De Silvestri.

Montolivio could play in midfield, same position as Adam and possibly an improvement.
Not sure which position Jovetic is playing this season but he's scored 12 goals this season! Although injury concerns around him..
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by L18

If LFC we're playing a league game on the wednesday, Gerrard wouldn't of played.

Bull****.

If Gerrard is in any way fit he plays for Liverpool. I'd understand you saying this if he was coming back from a lay-off but now you're just being bitter about internationals - even Kenny has said he'd have played Gerrard on Wednesday.
Hmm massive game, really keen to see who makes the first team + bench.

No Agger, possibly no Johnson/Gerrard. Kelly should do a good job, massive shame about Gerrard though. Need Suarez to have a good game in his place imo.

Latest