The Student Room Group

Why are so many people happy to be unfit?

Just looking for people's thoughts on this. Nowadays the average person in the UK seems to be overweight and does literally no exercise.

Why in your opinion are so many people happy to disregard fitness completely? Is it due to the fact that being in good shape requires hard work, consistency, dedication and will power?

Scroll to see replies

exercise is harrrrddddddddd

i dont enjoy cardio but i do enjoy weight lifting IF i have someone to work out with
Reply 2
Well....maths is so fun.....I can't do it on the run.

Spoiler

Reply 3
I doubt many are actually happy to be unfit, they probably just prefer it to working to get fit as they are lazy
Reply 5
Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
exercise is harrrrddddddddd

i dont enjoy cardio but i do enjoy weight lifting IF i have someone to work out with

A lot of things in life are "hard" but it doesn't mean you can not do them. I don't enjoy cardio either so I change it up and make it interesting e.g. doing it outdoors as opposed to on the treadmill, playing sports is also far funner than standard cardio.
Reply 6
Well where I come from the trend that I see is:
People who study or hold high paying jobs = overweight or skinny
Chavs, criminals and workers involved in manual labor = fit

Then again I come from a black neighborhood so...I hear things are different elsewhere

It depends I guess
Reply 7
exercise means moving :/
Reply 8
Original post by wcp100
Well....maths is so fun.....I can't do it on the run.

Spoiler

Rubbish, when running I pass the time by doing basic vector analysis in my head.
Because it's easy.
Reply 10
Original post by jokosor
Well where I come from the trend that I see is:
People who study or hold high paying jobs = overweight or skinny
Chavs, criminals and workers involved in manual labor = fit

Then again I come from a black neighborhood so...I hear things are different elsewhere

It depends I guess

I'd say it's the opposite from experience.

People with ambition and have important jobs, are smart etc usually have greater will power, knowledge and determination and so are able to exercise as they have the required will power to do so.
Im unfit, im not happy to be.

People need to stop viewing it as "people cannot be arsed". Me, I have a minorly disability- I find it difficult to walk as it is, never mind running or any other form of exercise.
Yes I am overweight, but thats due to my DNA im afraid- my whole family are "big people".
Im losing weight, but I know i will never be who I want to be, because of my disability and the fact I cannot exercise.

Each to their own. Some like to go down to the gym everyday, others like to sit in there pajamas watching re runs of Friends. Whatever makes you happy.

Why force someone to do something that makes them unhappy?
Depends what you mean by unfit.

If you just mean average - as in average kind of weight, can walk/run/do casual sports etc. if they want to - then quite simply it's because there is virtually no reason to get fitter.

If you mean the visibly fat, people who get out of breath walking up stairs etc. then I agree with you - I can never understand why people would allow themselves to get like that.
Original post by TheInformer
I'd say it's the opposite from experience.

People with ambition and have important jobs, are smart etc usually have greater will power, knowledge and determination and so are able to exercise as they have the required will power to do so.

I do, however, agree with this.
Some people only associate exercise with how they look and weight loss and not the actual health benefits of it. One of my friends is absolutely gorgeous and a perfect shapely size 6 but can't walk a flight of stairs without getting out of breath...She's so unfit but doesn't really care too much. Someone overweight/who has to watch their weight have another incentive to exercise. Anyone who doesn't, do it for the good of your health. It's a great stress-buster too...
I don't think people are 'happy' being unfit it's just the action of getting fit is so unattractive in the short term and they can't be bothered to work for the long term benefits.

Personally, i've been on crutches for ages so it's quite difficult. I'd love to get back into proper sport again. Can't play rugby when i'm off of crutches again :no: :no:
Reply 16
Original post by *GoLdSeQuIn*
Some people only associate exercise with how they look and weight loss and not the actual health benefits of it. One of my friends is absolutely gorgeous and a perfect shapely size 6 but can't walk a flight of stairs without getting out of breath...She's so unfit but doesn't really care too much. Someone overweight/who has to watch their weight have another incentive to exercise. Anyone who doesn't, do it for the good of your health. It's a great stress-buster too...

Good points.

Some people to look at you'd think they were the pinnacle of health but ask them to jog for 5 mins and they nearly have a heart attack.

Since exercising consistently and regularly almost every part of my life has improved.

A lot of people don't want to do something unless they get results in the short term.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
What I don't get is how fat people can look in the mirror and feel good.
To be frank people who are overweight look horrid, no this is not a rude or derogatory thing to say it is true. Anyone who thinks otherwise is mad.
If I put on serious weight my self esteem would decrease so much to the point I would try to get fit, I don't know why this doesn't motivate fat people to exercise?
Those who are too lazy to exercise are the kind of people who convince themselves plus-size is better just because they are butthurt at the fact they are overweight.
Original post by ilovehobnobs

Original post by ilovehobnobs
I do, however, agree with this.

I second this.
I'm content with a generally decent, healthy lifestyle (in comparison to the average person, anyway).

However, I don't see the need to exercise just for the sake of it. It's such a waste of time.

Quick Reply

Latest