The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is it so easy to steal?

So I found out yesterday that 2 of my best friends are thieves. They steal literally everything they can get their paws on. We went into and they stole all kinds of makeup, some perfume, 2 boxes of hairdye, 3 shirts, underwear, and multiple pairs of boxers (that one was kinda funny). How were they able to do that? I thought it was absolutely stunning.

And this is not about morals, this is how was no one able to stop them. I thought it was hard to steal, learning from school and such, but they did it like... piece of cake? Isn't there measures to stop them? They shoved a lot of stuff into those bags, I thought it would be obvious.

The security guy was getting a bit suspicious and followed us around for while but they still never got caught.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nothing of real value can be stolen from a department store, everything worth £10 or more has a tag on it. They might not get caught now, but they will get caught eventually.

I've never tried stealing from a store before by the way, I work in one.
Reply 2
It might be on CCTV and the security guards might be on the look out for them next time.
Reply 3
Of course it's easy... most stores only have one security guard who obviously can't be everywhere, and most items in most stores are not tagged because they're small-value items.

So if you can bag a goody without the security noticing, then all you're left to do is walk through the exit.

Personally I've never done it myself, but there's obviously just not enough security resources to stop it from happening, and people probably don't steal enough in value to merit the kind of spending on security that would be required to completely stamp out shoplifting.
Some stores are easier to steal from than others. Airport stores, for example, are very easy to steal from. Superdrug and TK Maxx, on the other hand, are pretty suicidal to shoplift from. In Fenwicks it's relatively easy to take very expensive items without being detected. I have a friend, for example, who stole a Mulberry bag from there because she put it on her shoulder and just walked out the store, ignoring the beep, thereby looking innocent, as the alarms tend to go off sporadically anyway.

So, in other words, I think it depends on the store. Also, for the record, I'm not a shoplifter (I'd never have the balls!) but I have several friends who partake in this sort of activity...
Reply 5
supermarkets are easy to steal from because you can just pick up something from the bakery and eat it while you walk round the shop
of course it is easy, i steal boxers on a regular basis.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Nix-j-c
It might be on CCTV and the security guards might be on the look out for them next time.

But this is not they first time.They've been stealing for 2 years now.
that security guard must have been pretty thick. don't most shops have alarms that go off when unpaid for goods are taken from the store? and security cameras? your "friends" will get caught sooner or later, don't you worry.
Original post by pillow4
supermarkets are easy to steal from because you can just pick up something from the bakery and eat it while you walk round the shop

My mate did this and got banned from Sainsburys :')
Reply 10
Although it's easy, you get caught eventually. My friend is almost addicted to stealing and stole a wallet from TK MAXX recently. He got caught and has been sent a letter charging him for the expenses of the security guard for the day - £134!!

Don't be tempted OP.
Reply 11
i know a guy whos like that real dodgy prick he steals from everywhere... dont talk to him anymore

would go into debenhams everyday stealing aftershave and perfumes. and once he would leave the shop hed be like to me hold it for a second because security was behind i was like **** off... he has been caught so many times and all the security know his face, hes also banned from the shopping centre yet still goes in all the time just to steal .

he would take the aftershave to a barbers or salon then sell it for like £20
--
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dr Ben
I've eaten sweets from the pick n mix section at sainsburys, and the odeon without paying before, AM I A BAD PERSON? :frown:

Yes.

:console:
ooo well anyway thanks for the info on this easy stealing business guys =P
Reply 15
Regardless of whether it's easy to steal or not, it's still immoral. I hope they get caught.
Lack of security, small value items not tagged. They'll still get caught eventually, only a fool steals and expects to get away with it forever.
Has no-one seen Secuirty Guards staring at those big flat panels which i assume have several screens on them?

They literally hug the sides and stare at it.
Reply 18
Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
Lack of security, small value items not tagged. They'll still get caught eventually, only a fool steals and expects to get away with it forever.

Luckily when they caught me I still managed to steal two more items, but that made me of course quit my acts of stealing it got too risky.

I do find it interesting that there is this moral premise that stealing is wrong, like all other moral values I believe it to be subjective, for example would you think stealing wrong if it were to be an act that would save many lives, what is it that makes stealing wrong? Is there some sort of mysterious property that you guys pick up using a morality scanner?
Reply 19
Original post by Dr Ben
I've eaten sweets from the pick n mix section at sainsburys, and the odeon without paying before, AM I A BAD PERSON? :frown:

Indeed you are!

Latest