The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by olumide_apexking
£6.00 and hour job (SUMMER HOLIDAY) earned an average of £150 a week, since i did loads of hours since i just lived down the road.
Was a track marshal at my local track, watched races waved flags etc, drove karts got free food DREAM JOB FOR A 16 YEAR OLD :P.

:eek: how did you get that with no experience?
Original post by olumide_apexking
Paid like £400-500 in taxes doh :frown: recently found out i was not supposed to... left at September been to lazy to send of a letter with my pay slips... :| or are HM revenue suppose to do some end of year review S

If you don't send of the letter yourself you may find that you wait 2 years. I recently (around July 2011) received a rebate from 2009-2010. :s-smilie:
Original post by Lauren Pen
:eek: how did you get that with no experience?

raced there a couple of times... asked for work experience 1 week, worked like train. They called me back offered me a job.
Was a huge building with loads of karts, was fun when there were no customers had loads of races (Staff only) and water fights with the jet wash etc that they use to wash the formula Renault racing cars (the manager owned a racing team from karts to single seaters and karts).

Thanks to that job, got loads of contacts in the Motorsport scene, now race rotaxs at buckmore park for free. Also found out about a championship for school students between the ages of 13-18 'british karting championship' as they had an event whilst i was doing work exp will. I will be joining this year championship representing my college in 1 week, probz get owned future formula 1 drivers (rich kids) will be my opponents xD
Reply 123

That's so mean! Why didn't you report it?

I tried to see the 'funny' side of it!
My first job was mooching off my parents. My salary was erratic, yet the work was really quite easy.
Original post by manupalace
If you don't send of the letter yourself you may find that you wait 2 years. I recently (around July 2011) received a rebate from 2009-2010. :s-smilie:

nice one :wink:. Will probz send it off in a few weeks... really want to get a track day banger for like £900 for example a renault clio or a ford focus.
My first job was at 15 as a committee member and carer for a large group of disabled adults and children. Pay was £9.71 and was required to carry out many tasks like peg feeding, oxygen, personal care, medication etc.
Reply 127
For the German Red Cross (teaching in Ghana), sponsored by a government program. In addition to healthcare, accomodation, food and flights I got a pocketmoney of 100€ a month (totally okay for the price level in Westafrica).
Awesome! But how did you get there?

i only live 30 min away :smile:
Original post by sixbillionsecrets
My first job was at 15 as a committee member and carer for a large group of disabled adults and children. Pay was £9.71 and was required to carry out many tasks like peg feeding, oxygen, personal care, medication etc.

Original post by Sir Fox
For the German Red Cross (teaching in Ghana), sponsored by a government program. In addition to healthcare, accomodation, food and flights I got a pocketmoney of 100€ a month (totally okay for the price level in Westafrica).

awesome.. wish i could had the courage to do does jobs :wink:
Reply 130
:eek: How did you harass the manager? :biggrin:

I just kept following him around the salon telling him how amazing I would be if he gave me a job, and that he'd be making a mistake by not hiring me.. Did the trick :biggrin:
Nearly 21 and still looking for someone willing to employ me.

So depressing looking at all the responses saying 16-17. How did you guys actually find these vacancies? :/
Original post by Apa
Aged 15 working in Boots I got paid £6.45 an hour. The only reason I got it was because my mum worked there, I hated it because I had to stand up all day and I'd had a skiing accident and a car accident (?!!?!) in the month before I got the job so I had pretty bad back problems which I still have to this day. Manager wouldn't provide me with something to sit on (recommended by a doctor) so I quit so someone else could have the job.

Edit: why the hell did I get negged for this?! FFS....

Gave you back some love :biggrin:
Waitrose- £5.22 but that was before they stopped under 18 pay.
applied online and got lcky summer two years ago (200 applicants for 3 jobs advertised)
Reply 134
Original post by Sapphire_Eyes
Gave you back some love :biggrin:

You're too kind :tongue: Personal rep :smile:
Reply 135
My first job is an internship at KPMG with their Risk Consulting arm. I'm actually on the internship right now, writing this post from work :wink: I'm 19 and I get £1500 a month :biggrin:
Aged 17 (the age i am currently) :]

I got two jobs pretty much at the same time.

My first was as a part-time theatre steward at The Ark theatre where i'm still employed.

Aaand, i was also a temporary waitress/chef's assistant at Elstree Film Studios (worked as an xmas temp for 5 weeks) and worked two 7 hour shifts a week earning 6.25 an hour. :]
Paper round when I was 14, if that counts lol :P

First proper job was at an aircraft valet, £6 per hour
Original post by sr90
Nearly 21 and still looking for someone willing to employ me.

So depressing looking at all the responses saying 16-17. How did you guys actually find these vacancies? :/

WORK EXP AT LEAST 1-2 IN THE SECTOR YOU WANT TO GET IN... E.G RETAIL.

HAND OUT LOADS OF CVS... WITH ADDITION WITH FOLLOW UP CALLS 2-3 DAYS LATER.

INTERVIEW

GET JOB

WORK HARD/ BUM LICK MANAGER = hopefully promotion/pay rise:cool:
Just got my 3rd job... £7ph = bonus (free karting sessions any time you want) indoor karting track london. :biggrin:, will probz be less fun compared to my last one, as everyone was laid back. Will be easier in terms of work rate doh as i won't be lifting bloody wheels which buses use :frown:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQW3QN2CvK8 < video of where i used to work (OLD)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtLkDpkF59E < new will be starting in 1.5 weeks new track recently built, allot of celebs go dwn there as its in the middle of london :| ndubz, hamilton, sutil, the stig!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending