The Student Room Group

What's happend to my ear??

Last night about 9pm my left ear suddenly became blocked as in it feels like it needs to pop. I can hear in a muffled sense, it does hurt a bit and it's a bit red. I've tried the hot water, trying to exhale with holding my nose n mouth shut etc but nothing is making it budge. It's not spread to my other ear so I don't think it's an infection or something like that...any ideas? How to solve it?
I just don't want to go to my dr again, as lovely as he is I end up in there every few weeks with something going wrong!!!!!
Reply 1
Try putting five or six drops of olive oil in your ear and gently put a piece of cotton wool to keep the oil from leaking out. To this morning and night, and if there's hardened wax in your ear which has blocked it (which is what it sounds like to me), the oil will help to soften it, and it might work itself out. If it doesn't shift in a few days, go and see the nurse at the doctors' surgery, as you might need your ear syringed, and this is a simple procedure which they can do for you. However, if it's blocked wax, you'll need to have softened it with oil before they can syringe it out, so start now - it certainly won't do you any harm.
I'm sorry, I have nothing useful to say, I just saw the thread title and got an uncontrollable urge to post 'I don't know, when did you have it last?'

But I won't. Hope your ear gets well.
Reply 3
hmm. a couple of years ago I had the worst pain I've ever experienced in my right ear. Couldn't get a wink of sleep during the night, then in the morning my ear drum burst and loads and loads and loads of pus came out of my ear. Turned out I'd had an ear infection and the pain was the pressure againt the inside of the ear drum, which was so high that it caused the ear drum to burst. That was horrible, doesn't sound like ur that bad.
Reply 4
Fate13
Try putting five or six drops of olive oil in your ear and gently put a piece of cotton wool to keep the oil from leaking out. To this morning and night

That's a bit much, 2 to 3 drops once a day should be fine.

http://www.rnid.org.uk/information_resources/factsheets/medical/factsheets_leaflets/ear_syringing.htm?email=true
Reply 5
I've had a blocked ear for a week or more now. Came with my cold, and its only just shifting. Really not the nicest thing, but if its anything like my blocked ear.. Its going away, maybe yours will too!
If it comes with a cold then it will go away with time, though the wait is very annoying. It is most likely Otitis media rather than wax buildup though, so olive oil etc. will unfortunately be of little use. All you can do is wait and see, but if it becomes painful then it is an infection and you will need antibiotics from the doc.
Reply 7
it does hurt and I'm taking co codomol 8-500 for my bruised rib...yes im a bit of a walking accident. this is why i'm reluctant to go and see the dr as I have to see him every few weeks for really random things and I hate wasting his time if it is just wax say.....but the general idea is that I need to...or could I just see a nurse if it's a run of the mill infection??
Reply 8
Has it been itchy for a few weeks prior to this?
Reply 9
anjimcflanji
it does hurt and I'm taking co codomol 8-500 for my bruised rib...yes im a bit of a walking accident. this is why i'm reluctant to go and see the dr as I have to see him every few weeks for really random things and I hate wasting his time if it is just wax say.....but the general idea is that I need to...or could I just see a nurse if it's a run of the mill infection??

Really, the best and perhaps easiest thing to do is to stop in and speak to your GP as he/she will wash your ear out by spraying warm water in to it and loosen the wax, etc which is blocking it.
My friend had the same thing and it was just wax and she had to get the syringed (sounds painful but isn't). She used ear drops and apparently they made it worse so don't! You should see your Dr...even if you are a regular, that's why they're there! Olive oil, like someone said, helps as well. Just don't stick a cotton bud or something in your ear...that's the big no no!
Reply 11
Maybe you got stung. :smile:
Reply 12
try sleeping with your other ear facing down/up.

i find that sometimes clears blockages :wink:.