Original post by Besakt
Not overly prepared but not under. I've done a decent amount. :redface:

You?

Same :smile:

Remember to go over magnification guys!
Reply 63
Same....But im greatly neglecting unit 4 biology for tomorrows exam
Reply 64
Can someone explain to me the difference between apoplastic pathway and symplastic pathway...and eventually the water travels the symplastic pathway anyway?
Original post by Besakt
Independent segregation were the daughter cells can have any combination of maternal and paternal chromosomes.

Crossing over when the chromosomes arrange themselves into homologous pairs and bits of chromatids swap over they still code for the same gene but different combinations of alleles.

Original post by ??????????????????
Can have crossing over and independent segregation.
Parts of the chromatids break off and swap with another chromatid.
Chromosomes are randomly put into the middle so randomly pulled apart into different poles of the cell.
I suck at the brief description :frown:

Mostly right
but just remember to clearly state independent segregation of HOMOLOGOUS CHROMOSOMES

If a cell has 3 pairs of homologous chromosomes. How many possible combinations are there when indepenent segregation of homologous chromosomes occurs ?
Original post by Leia-007
Can someone explain to me the difference between apoplastic pathway and symplastic pathway...and eventually the water travels the symplastic pathway anyway?

The apoplastic pathway is the pathway for water to move into cell walls. However, the apoplastic pathway reaches the endodermis (I believe) which has the casparian strip which is a waterproof cuticle so forces water to go through the symplast instead which is the cytoplasm. The water moves by osmosis down a water potential gradient
Original post by littleangel9914
Mostly right
but just remember to clearly state independent segregation of HOMOLOGOUS CHROMOSOMES

If a cell has 3 pairs of homologous chromosomes. How many possible combinations are there when indepenent segregation of homologous chromosomes occurs ?

There was a diagram on June 2010 paper with a question like that, I did not understand it :frown: It said in the examiner report it was a tough question - not to figure it out :mad:

There must be an equal pair of chromosomes so homologous pairs can pair up to undergo meiosis, correct? So if there is an odd number of chromosomes, meiosis cannot take place as the homologous chromosomes are not able to pair up?
Original post by LifeIsGood

There must be an equal pair of chromosomes so homologous pairs can pair up to undergo meiosis, correct? So if there is an odd number of chromosomes, meiosis cannot take place as the homologous chromosomes are not able to pair up?

Correct.
Original post by ??????????????????
Correct.

Did my cohesion/root pressure make sense?
Reply 70
The apoplastic pathway is the pathway for water to move into cell walls. However, the apoplastic pathway reaches the endodermis (I believe) which has the casparian strip which is a waterproof cuticle so forces water to go through the symplast instead which is the cytoplasm. The water moves by osmosis down a water potential gradient

Thank you :biggrin:
Thank you :biggrin:

NP :smile:

What's the features of xerophytes to reduce water loss?
Did my cohesion/root pressure make sense?

Yeah I originally knew majority of the points but couldn't link it together that well so it helped a lot :smile:
There was a diagram on June 2010 paper with a question like that, I did not understand it :frown: It said in the examiner report it was a tough question - not to figure it out :mad:

yeah there was the exact same question on the june 2010 paper It's queston 5d

the first part gives you a cell with 3 homologous pairs and askes you to draw a gamete

All you had to do was to draw a cell with 3 chromosomes to get 1 mark
For the second mark you had to draw one chromosome from each homologous pair

the second part of the question was what I originally asked which is how many different combination you could have

the answer is 2 cubed = 8

I think your problem is that you over complicate questions
sometimes you have to take a step back and just think logically
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 74
NP :smile:

What's the features of xerophytes to reduce water loss?

xerophytes have
1) thick cuticles to reduce evaporation
2) Reduced number of stomata
3) Smaller and fewer leaves to reduce surface area

these are the only 3 i could think of, if there are any more please let me know

Ok look at this question, first fill in the sperm cell - which is half the chromosomes as it is a gamete. If it has half the chromosomes, it will have 1/4 of the mass of DNA. I'll explain this after I'm finished with the Telophase bit.

Look back at the concept of mitosis...what is it? It's the cell division which produces TWO IDENTICAL cells as the SAME number of CHROMOSOMES. So the chromosome number is 26. BUT the mass of the DNA halves as that one parent cell (at stage of prophase) splits equally into TWO so it halves.

Going back to the mass of the DNA of the sperm cell, the telophase is talking about TWO cells. The sperm cell only comes from ONE of those TWO cells so the mass of DNA also is halved again from the telophase one.

Hopefully that helps :smile:

That graph is pretty sexy :sexface:
Reply 76
Stalking people on facebook when I should be revising. FML.
Reply 77
xerophytes have
3) Smaller and fewer leaves to reduce surface area

these are the only 3 i could think of, if there are any more please let me know

sunken Stomata trap in moist air reduce concentration gradient less evaporation
xerophytes have