The Student Room Group

How do i work out if a molecule has an overall dipole moment?

For any given compound, how do i work out if the compound has an overall dipole moment or not? I know how to draw all the lewis dot structure or the shape of any compound, e.g drawing a tetrahedral compound or a trigonal planner compound (A-lvl student) but i m have no idea as to how to work out, if a compound has a net overall dipole moment or not.

Can someone pleassssse tell me how to work it out? my exam is in 2days and this is the only bit i dont get in my whole book :frown::frown::frown::frown:
Original post by arnab
For any given compound, how do i work out if the compound has an overall dipole moment or not? I know how to draw all the lewis dot structure or the shape of any compound, e.g drawing a tetrahedral compound or a trigonal planner compound (A-lvl student) but i m have no idea as to how to work out, if a compound has a net overall dipole moment or not.

Can someone pleassssse tell me how to work it out? my exam is in 2days and this is the only bit i dont get in my whole book :frown::frown::frown::frown:

A dipole moment is caused by the presence of one or more polar bonds (ie bonds between two different elements) that is(are) not balanced by other bonds. So HCl has a dipole moment because the H-Cl bond is polar (H and Cl have different electronegativity). But H2 has no dipole moment because the bond is between two atoms of the same element (ie no difference in electronegativity). CCl4 has no dipole moment as all the C-Cl bonds (whilst individually polar) are exactly balanced out in space (tetrahedral symmetry). So it's about symmetry and balance really. It's pretty easy to spot them.

SF6 - no dipole (all bonds the same, octahedral symmetry)
CH3Cl - dipole (because of the unbalanced C-Cl bond)
NH3 - dipole (all the bonds are the same, but they are directed towards three of the verticies of a tetrahedron. The other has a lone pair. So the molecule is unbalanced)
CO2 - no dipole, linear molecule, each bond counterbalances the other
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Plato's Trousers
x

i am sorry but i still dont understand it. How do i work out the symmetry of a shape?
VSEPR, look up how use it to predict shapes of simple molecules..... Once you know the shape, you can consider the distribution of the electrons. If there is a difference in electronegativity, then there will be a dipole, eg SF6. The only reason this doesn't have an overall dipole is because it is symmetric around the center, so you could consider each mini dipole (s-f bond) cancelling eachother out
Original post by arnab
i am sorry but i still dont understand it. How do i work out the symmetry of a shape?

Well yes, you do need to know the shape. Sorry, I was assuming you had that info.

Then you just have to take a look and see if everything is symmetrical about the centre. If not = dipole

:smile:

This picture may help. Ignore the numbers, but do you see how things either balance themseleves out, or not?

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
ahh thanks
got it now :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by arnab
ahh thanks
got it now :biggrin: :biggrin:

you're welcome :smile:

Feel free to post any molecules you're not sure of or you want checking...
Reply 7
Well yes, you do need to know the shape. Sorry, I was assuming you had that info.

Then you just have to take a look and see if everything is symmetrical about the centre. If not = dipole

:smile:

This picture may help. Ignore the numbers, but do you see how things either balance themseleves out, or not?

heyy

i just want to say a BIG FREAKING THANK YOU for helping with these question I had. I just got my results for the jan exams i sat and guess what? I GOT an A OVERALL IN AS CHEMISTRY!!!! so yh thanks again for helping me:biggrin::biggrin:

now to get an A in A2 chemistry
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by arnab
heyy

i just want to say a BIG FREAKING THANK YOU for helping with these question I had. I just got my results for the jan exams i sat and guess what? I GOT an A OVERALL IN AS CHEMISTRY!!!! so yh thanks again for helping me:biggrin::biggrin:

now to get an A in A2 chemistry

Great news. Thanks for feeding back with the result.

Well done. :smile:
SO2 has dipole or not
SO2 has dipole???
SO2 has dipole???
you're welcome :smile:

Feel free to post any molecules you're not sure of or you want checking...
SO2 has dipole or not
Original post by Manisha g
SO2 has dipole or not

You’re about six years late to get a response out of those guys, I’m afraid - the rest of the discussion happened in 2012.

Anyway - yeah, SO2 has a dipole for the same reason water does - the central sulfur atom has a lone pair that means the two oxygens don’t arrange linearly. The direction the oxygens are pointing in is delta negative, and the sulfur is delta positive. I had to look it up on Wikipedia and have a look at its structure to work that out, though.
Ohh thanks
SO2 has dipole or not
How to find BDE of the following?????
O-H, H-H, N-H, C-C
DOES CH3Br have an overall dipole?
Will CH3Br have an overall dipole?

Quick Reply

Latest