The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM2 ~ May 23rd 2012 ~ AS Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mocking_bird
I have more than that on just the first 2 pages of my booklets :redface:
Will type them up later maybe so somebody can hopefully tell me i'm learning way more than i need to, :laugh:

those are the key ones you need to learn :smile:
Reply 221
So this is too much then?

Extraction of Iron
3) Carbon monoxide acts as a reducing agent and reduces most of Iron(III) oxide.

4) Coke also acts as a reducing agent in the hotter area of the furnace at the bottom.

For extraction of iron, only those two are needed :fyi:

Also, you can cut down the no. of equations you need to remember by just remembering the general equation:

Metal Oxide + carbon/carbon monoxide --> Metal + carbon dioxide

and just remember the exceptions
(edited 12 years ago)
So this is too much then?

Extraction of Iron
1) Coke reacts with hot air - very exothermic, responsible for high temps in furnace

2) Carbon dioxide at high temps reacts with unreacted coke

3) Carbon monoxide acts as a reducing agent and reduces most of Iron(III) oxide.

4) Coke also acts as a reducing agent in the hotter area of the furnace at the bottom.

5) Limestone is used to remove impurities. Limestone first decomposes.

6) Calcium oxide produced is a basic oxide and reacts with acidic oxides.

Extraction of Copper:
Original method:
1) Reduce ore to copper oxide by heating

2) Oxide heated with coke

3) Overall equation:

Recent way:

Extraction of Maganese:

Extraction of Tungsten:

So thats not including extraction of aluminium (4 equations), titanium(2 equations), carbide formation (1) , and 3 pollution problem equations. [Didnt want to type them out as if i've not learnt that far yet].
If ive just learnt all them for no reason my teacher is evil for giving us this booklet to learn on our own :laugh:

i dont think they ask you about the extraction of copper though i would check the specification, same with maganese.
Original post by cuckoo99
i dont think they ask you about the extraction of copper though i would check the specification, same with maganese.

"understand that carbon and carbon monoxide are cheap
and effective reducing agents that are used in the extraction
of iron, manganese and copper (reduction equations and
conditions only)"

So looks like I can get rid of a fair amount of the Iron, like pointed out above. & Would it just be the "recent" equation I need for Copper, then Manganese just how it is up there.

Oh I dont know :laugh: I've done too much work today :frown:
Reply 224

They are needed
strange our teacher never taught us them lol though we basicaly went over the reactivity series and were taught what carbon can reduce, we prob went through the extraction of copper and manganese in 1 slide
Original post by MedicalMayhem
Ah okay, so in an exam that'd be okay? What's the other thing talking about then, with the sulphate ions? Is that equation correct as well?

I would advise you do it as you first thought. Although, both are correct. It's to do with supply of protons and other acids involved, but you don't need to concern yourself with it.
(edited 12 years ago)
I've finished this unit but due to my lack of attention during lessons, I don't really understand anything :frown: Going to reteach myself the whole Unit commencing now! How long do you think it'll take?
Original post by Member737,514
I've finished this unit but due to my lack of attention during lessons, I don't really understand anything :frown: Going to reteach myself the whole Unit commencing now! How long do you think it'll take?

I don't mean to be rude, but how can we possibly answer that kind of a question? It's dependent on so much that we don't know.

I see this so often on TSR.
Original post by Tullia
I don't mean to be rude, but how can we possibly answer that kind of a question? It's dependent on so much that we don't know.

I see this so often on TSR.

Fair enough! I guess it was a poorly worded, vague question, I just mean if anyone could speak from their own experience perhaps it would give me a rough-ish estimate.
Reply 230
Fair enough! I guess it was a poorly worded, vague question, I just mean if anyone could speak from their own experience perhaps it would give me a rough-ish estimate.

Buy the CGP book

~2-3 weeks probs
Reply 231

4 hours over 2-3 days should suffice for off-by-heartedness :biggrin:.
-would you really neg me for this? Its serious advice, 4 hours each day for 2-3 days should suffice on learning the Extraction Unit. It is just memory.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 232
3 hours a day
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 233
Anyone have the january 2012 paper?
Reply 234
Is anyone retaking this unit that`s an A2 student?
quick question for people following this thread: what did every1 get in their unit 1 exam and are you retaking that aswell as doing the unit 2 exam?
i got a D and am resitting- hoping for atleast a high B
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 236
quick question for people following this thread: what did every1 get in their unit 1 exam and are you retaking that aswell as doing the unit 2 exam?

I got a grade I'm happy with so I'm not resitting :smile:
Original post by ElMoro
I got a grade I'm happy with so I'm not resitting :smile:

what grade was that :smile: and good to hear

100 ums :biggrin:

if you put the time in then you'll get your marks. You get out what you put in and such.

A love for the subject helps greatly too.
Original post by Silverland
100 ums :biggrin:

if you put the time in then you'll get your marks. You get out what you put in and such.

A love for the subject helps greatly too.

nice 1!! i was going through a rough time during the exam period and didnt revise enough :/ hoping to smash the exam this time round. i love chemistry :smile: hoping to do a chemistry related degree at uni or just chemistry ;p;p

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending