ak395
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,
I am applying for a sixth form and have to write a letter to introduce myself. I have been given no guidelines at all by the school so I have done my best. Please can you read the letter below and tell me if it is okay and what I could do to improve it. Thanks!! Really want a place at this sixth form

Dear Mr XXXXX,

I would like to apply for entrance into the XXXXXXX sixth form for the next academic year as I am impressed with the excellent quality of teaching, facilities and extra-curricular activities offered by the school.

I believe myself to be a very mature, hardworking and dedicated individual. I have a very strong academic record, reflected by the fact that I have already completed five GCSEs and achieved A*s in all of them. I completed GCSE Arabic and GCSE Mathematics in year 8, GCSE ICT and GCSE Design Technology in year 9 and GCSE Physics as well as well as the first module in A Level Mathematics in year 10. Furthermore, I have attained 100 UMS in seven science modules and 99 UMS in the A Level Mathematic module. The reason for completing these qualifications early is because I thrive off a constant challenge and always strive to reach my full potential. I have been homeschooled throughout secondary school and therefore, much of the qualification content has been self-taught.

Aside from studying, I take part in many extra-curricular activities. I have recently become a member of St John Ambulance and meet with the other members once a week. I will soon undergo first aid training and volunteer on first aid duties for local community events. In addition to this, over the last three years, I have been tutoring children aged 4-15 in Arabic. I also tutor a year 8 student in mathematics and science. Moreover, I frequently volunteer at my former primary school, helping to organise fundraising events, producing flyers and posters to advertise these events and supervising students for off-site trips. I currently support an EAL student and give her one-to-one lessons twice a week to help her learn English as a second language. I have also completed about 30 hours of work experience in an art studio as well as two days work experience at a local dental clinic over the Christmas holidays. In my spare time, I enjoy reading, swimming and web design.

I have chosen to study Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature A levels and I believe that I will enjoy the intellectual challenge these subjects provide. I also enjoy the GCSE study of these subjects and find science especially very intriguing. In the future, I would like to study medicine so believe that these subjects, along with the Mathematics A level I am sitting this year, will be a good basis for university study as the sciences complement each other well and English Literature will give me a well rounded spectrum of study. I understand that extensive work experience is needed for entry into medicine. Therefore, I am currently applying for a voluntary post as a ward assistant at XXXXXXXX Hospital. I intend to volunteer for two or three hours a week over a period of at least a year, so that I can gain a valuable insight into working in a caring role. I have also managed to arrange a week long work experience placement in the A&E department over the summer holidays.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter and for considering my application for the sixth form next year.
Yours sincerely,

XXXXXXXXX
asumusu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
did u have to write this, just because i went to a sixth form, and there was no letter needed :/
ak395
Rep:
?
(Original post by asumusu)
did u have to write this, just because i went to a sixth form, and there was no letter needed :/
Yes I do but I've applied to two other schools and they haven't asked for one. This school's just trying to be a right pain.
ak395
Rep:
?
Please somebody.... help???
rosieoconnor
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's really good, on the whole well worded and nicely thought out. A couple of niggles are: "I thrive off a constant challenge..." I would say "I thrive from a constant challenge..." just sounds a bit better. "I would like to study medicine so believe that..." I would change that to "I would like to study medicine and therefore believe that..." Apart from that really good! Sounds like you've done so much, and are likely to be accepted. Good Luck!
asumusu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ak395)
Yes I do but I've applied to two other schools and they haven't asked for one. This school's just trying to be a right pain.
ive read through it, and i think its really good, also can i just say u are really clever, doing GCSEs in yr 8, achieving the best grades! Well done!
ak395
Rep:
?
thanks... have made those changes!!
nataliekwong
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ak395)
Hi,
I am applying for a sixth form and have to write a letter to introduce myself. I have been given no guidelines at all by the school so I have done my best. Please can you read the letter below and tell me if it is okay and what I could do to improve it. Thanks!! Really want a place at this sixth form

Dear Mr XXXXX,

I would like to apply for entrance into the XXXXXXX sixth form for the next academic year as I am impressed with the excellent quality of teaching, facilities and extra-curricular activities offered by the school.

I believe myself to be a very mature, hardworking and dedicated individual. I have a very strong academic record, reflected by the fact that I have already completed five GCSEs and achieved A*s in all of them. I completed GCSE Arabic and GCSE Mathematics in year 8, GCSE ICT and GCSE Design Technology in year 9 and GCSE Physics as well as well as the first module in A Level Mathematics in year 10. Furthermore, I have attained 100 UMS in seven science modules and 99 UMS in the A Level Mathematic module. The reason for completing these qualifications early is because I thrive off a constant challenge and always strive to reach my full potential. I have been homeschooled throughout secondary school and therefore, much of the qualification content has been self-taught.

Aside from studying, I take part in many extra-curricular activities. I have recently become a member of St John Ambulance and meet with the other members once a week. I will soon undergo first aid training and volunteer on first aid duties for local community events. In addition to this, over the last three years, I have been tutoring children aged 4-15 in Arabic. I also tutor a year 8 student in mathematics and science. Moreover, I frequently volunteer at my former primary school, helping to organise fundraising events, producing flyers and posters to advertise these events and supervising students for off-site trips. I currently support an EAL student and give her one-to-one lessons twice a week to help her learn English as a second language. I have also completed about 30 hours of work experience in an art studio as well as two days work experience at a local dental clinic over the Christmas holidays. In my spare time, I enjoy reading, swimming and web design.

I have chosen to study Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature A levels and I believe that I will enjoy the intellectual challenge these subjects provide. I also enjoy the GCSE study of these subjects and find science especially very intriguing. In the future, I would like to study medicine so believe that these subjects, along with the Mathematics A level I am sitting this year, will be a good basis for university study as the sciences complement each other well and English Literature will give me a well rounded spectrum of study. I understand that extensive work experience is needed for entry into medicine. Therefore, I am currently applying for a voluntary post as a ward assistant at XXXXXXXX Hospital. I intend to volunteer for two or three hours a week over a period of at least a year, so that I can gain a valuable insight into working in a caring role. I have also managed to arrange a week long work experience placement in the A&E department over the summer holidays.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter and for considering my application for the sixth form next year.
Yours sincerely,

XXXXXXXXX

I think thats perfectly fine
Good luck
the schools probably just aiming for hard working people who can be bothered to write long letters xD
well done xD
Amsque
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm writing my cover letter right now, and was thinking what an excellent one you wrote. Personally, I would go for focusing a little more on why you would like to take certain subjects/why you enjoy certain areas and more specifically, why you would like to join that college. But that's just me and I think you've written a very good cover letter - it seems individual and compelling.
aliciacolman
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
im now going to sixth form too and it is necessary to have a letter to sell yourself to the school but not all sixth forms necessarily ask for it, its just an extra thing to do in some cases.
rumana101
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
woahh, thats well good, I'm sure you'll get in. Is it a private college?
FM03
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
the letter only needs to be about 100 words long, a bit like a statement
neha22n22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hey can someone help me write a good college personal statement
Robzz13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This would be the case if you were considering to move to another sixth form, besides the school you are already attending. Roll safe my g
BigLad467
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks Big man , gona use this im my life applic init fam
xoeunicex
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ur REALLLYYYY smart to do a gcse maths in yr 8
Nabszz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
So helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?