The Student Room Group

Easiest further maths module combination?

Hi,

I'm going to be doing the whole of a-level further maths in these 4 months, and so I need an easy combination. I did C1 to C4, M1, S1 as my a-level modules, and liked every one of them.

Which combination should I go with?

I definitely want/require Fp1/M2/M3/S2 but I'm not sure what my other 2 modules should be... one of them of course has to be fp2 or fp3 but I'm not sure which is easier... The 6th module can be either Fp2/Fp3/M4/S3/D1, but I'm sure S3/D1 are the easier ones. The question is which is easier between S3/D1; I've heard D1 is easy but is horrible to the point that I'll get a bad grade.

I need some clarification please.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I like FP3 better than FP2 (AQA)
Does S3 have coursework?
FP2 is a beast but then again, it's probably easier than M4/FP3. :dontknow:
Reply 3
This is Edexcel btw, and I don't think S3 has coursework :O
Reply 4
fp2 and D1
Reply 5
So fp2 is easier than fp3?
Reply 6
Bump.
Reply 7
D1 will definitely be fine i think .. i did it by myself and i got 91 :P
Do FP2 if you are fine with C4 :wink:
Reply 8
Why do you want the qualification?
If its for a CV then easy is ideal, if its to learn maths for a uni course in maths then (IMO) its not.
FP2 is less 'heavy going' for many students (on Edexcel) compared to FP3 but FP3 is great prep for uni maths. The combo of FP2 and FP3 is fantastic if you like pure maths and for me far more interesting that some of the 2's, 3's and 4's on applied units. Its all about personal choice though.
Reply 9
Edexcel M4 is, in my opinion and that of my last class, easier than M3 - provided you have the differential equations background from FP2. I would agree, though, that if you're serious about continuing with a mathematical subject you would be well served by taking FP3. As said above, you need to ask yourself what your purpose here is.

D1 is easy and interesting, but the exam is lengthy and tedious. It rewards accuracy more than intellect, but if accuracy is a strong point for you it's an easy module. I have no experience of S3, so can't comment.
Reply 10
I'm honestly just looking for the easiest subjects which will allow me to get an A/A*. I'm gonna study all Mechanics and further pure modules in the summer anyway to learn the material before uni, but I need to choose the easiest ones so I can get the best grade I can get.
Reply 11
I need more help, please.
Reply 12
S2 is very easy and from what I've heard S3 is just as easy. Not sure about S4 though, there's very little information about it.
My opinion on D1 - the content is extremely easy and you'll have no problem learning it to a T, however, the mark scheme is very rigid and you tend to lose a lot of marks for not laying out your answers as they wanted or for small inaccuracies. I got only 81 on it despite knowing the content inside out and feeling extremely confident after the exam.
Personally I'm thinking about going more the statistics route as it seems the easiest but also I found S2 really interesting.
Reply 13
Thanks everyone. The question on my mind is whether I should do fp2 or fp3. I liked C4 and was able to solve it well, does that mean I should do FP3?
Original post by Kaiser7
Thanks everyone. The question on my mind is whether I should do fp2 or fp3. I liked C4 and was able to solve it well, does that mean I should do FP3?

I'd choose FP2 over FP3 in terms of which is easier, but they're quite different. However, I think FP2 has a few things which are nice and easy / straightforward, whereas nearly all of FP3 that I can remember took me a lot longer to get my head round...

D1 - seriously, it's fine. Take it, far less work and less stress and less to understand, it's really not bad at all! I quite enjoyed it, and all the papers are the same with different numbers, more or less. So you can practice and pretty much guarantee a good mark, minus mistakes you make.
Would anyone say FP2 is easier than M2?
Reply 16
Original post by theseeker
Would anyone say FP2 is easier than M2?

Which board?

If you are taking edexcel, then M2 is much easier than FP2.
Is FP2 not mandatory for further maths A2? I know it is on MEI...
Also, M2 and S2 are easy, S3 is moderately hard, and D2 is... odd.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Is FP2 not mandatory for further maths A2? I know it is on MEI...

In all other boards it's just one of either FP2 or FP3 (or FP4 if you're on AQA).

Quick Reply

Latest