Fearless.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I am sure that a few of us now have offers ! So I was wondering a bit more about the background checks for different companies. Does anyone have any idea what the background checks actually look for? Will they contact previous managers for confirmation etc? Or ring up the university to check our marks? Or is it a bit relaxed for summer interns?
Ludovic_88
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not relaxed, total pain in the arse, especially First Advantage - dreadful bunch of utter cretins.
Fearless.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Ludovic_88)
Not relaxed, total pain in the arse, especially First Advantage - dreadful bunch of utter cretins.
Uh-oh! What's wrong with First Advantage? From reading the forum I think they're doing mine!!!
The_Don_123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ludovic_88)
Totally agree
Fiat Punto
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why so ?
The Banker
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Was more relaxed a few years ago. I know people that interned at Citi etc who had no background checks whatsoever - eg just the basic ones - you are who you say you are and checking the references. Much more thorough these days. Why are you worried?
Ludovic_88
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Fearless.)
Uh-oh! What's wrong with First Advantage? From reading the forum I think they're doing mine!!!
Jobsworths
logistics
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by The Banker)
Was more relaxed a few years ago. I know people that interned at Citi etc who had no background checks whatsoever - eg just the basic ones - you are who you say you are and checking the references. Much more thorough these days. Why are you worried?
Most people think that but the checks are in depth. They check all employment from you're CV, the dates and division for each. They also check academic results to the C grade you got in ICT Short course GCSE. Many get caught out and you don't even know the checks are in progress, you sign those rights away in the contract. The next you hear of it is when you get a call from a random **** at Kroll informing you that that 1 week unpaid internship you did at UBS isn't anywhere in their recruitment records and you're offer is given to the next kid.
Industrious Orca
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Anyone know who does Goldman Sachs and J.P.Morgan background checks? What are they like?
username341774
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Good question would like to know as wel Goldman Sachs and J.P. Morgan
Spurious
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Haha, didnt think they would take them as serious as they do. Pretty sick.
Ulysses.92
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm interested in this as well. DB use Kroll right?
ali7861012
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Who does it for CS?
bluenose53
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wasnt one I was aware of for Nomura over summer. But since hearing all the **** people go through, I've started screenshoting emails and stuff that may help back your case up for the stuff on your CV that may not be on official record. Society positions and work experience etc
Spurious
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They surely wont boot you, if you lied about one position at some random society.

I am pretty sure, they want to hire the people they originally thought of and not try to find some minor inconsistency to "fire" you.
Catsvsdogs
Badges: 2
Report 8 years ago
Ive just had a look through my CV and i have realised that i never included an AS level that i got a grade C in. i just included my 4 A levels.

Do you think this will be flagged during my background check? Should i contact someone at the bank to let them know this?
Catsvsdogs
Badges: 2
Report 8 years ago
Are you sure about this? So lying about grades is a no no, but omitting grades (unintentionally) wont get noticed?
Spurious
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would laugh my ass off, if they would boot your for that.
EternalBudhist
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Lmao guys don't worry it's just summer internships, they'll just most likely check you worked at the companies, a level grades, and proof of your course. If you lied about those you are in deep ****
stillnorthern
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
First time poster, long time reader here...

So I got an offer from "bank A" about a month ago for a summer internship, which I was pretty pleased with and accepted. Sent back the contract and everything, no problem.

I thought it was probably sensible not to cancel my other outstanding applications until I had one more level of confirmation, which as yet I haven't had. In fact, I haven't had any communication with them since their offer, but I don't think that's unusual.

My dilemma now is that another bank, B, have offered me an assessment centre, which I don't really want to go to (I'd prefer bank A, plus I don't want to renege on them,) but I don't want to decline the assessment centre if there's a chance things could fall through with bank A.

The only reason this could happen would be that I'm resitting my second year at uni, mainly because I had some personal stuff go on first time round that meant I properly bombed on my exams. It was for legitimate reasons, but I didn't talk to uni about it, or try and get special dispensation or anything, I just thought it'd be easier to do it again, and I'd end up with a better grade overall. I haven't told bank A about this, but I haven't lied about it; I've written that it's taking me four years to get a three year qualification, so they could work it out if they properly checked it.

I know I should gear myself up for going through the whole application process again just in case, but I really don't want to go through all that crap again.

I'm pretty paranoid about it, as you can see, but any thoughts on what I should do and the chances of things falling through with bank A?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (106)
13.43%
I'm not sure (36)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (242)
30.67%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.41%
I'm not a current university student (386)
48.92%

Watched Threads