The Student Room Group

Bones

I have a really annoying problem where i cant touch bones without getting freaked out , i cant touch my own bones or other peoples it makes me squeamish and feel sick. If one leg is resting ontop of the other and i feel the bones touch i really feel uneasy and immediately move them as fast as i can.Also if im sitting and i can feel the bone in my backside touch the bottom of the chair i feel sick. im actually getting uneasy typing this. what should i do, does anyone jnow what this is?
Reply 1
are you a skeleton?
Reply 2
no, im pretty thin though. This isnt a joke btw ,im being deadly serious.
Reply 3
well uh.. maybe you should go and look at some skeletons and get used to the bones.. like hold them and stuff..

bones can be pretty gross though, have to admit.

and if you are thin, maybe a bit if meat on those bones would help? :smile:
Listen to "Bones" by Radiohead (it's on The Bends). As you do this slowly begin to love your own skeleton - touch your bones and try not to get freaked out. Then before you know it you will be able to touch everyone's bones without feeling ill.
Reply 5
bones..boners... *cough*
Reply 6
englishstudent
Listen to "Bones" by Radiohead (it's on The Bends). As you do this slowly begin to love your own skeleton - touch your bones and try not to get freaked out. Then before you know it you will be able to touch everyone's bones without feeling ill.

good idea - radiohead will cure what ails ya!
Reply 7
bones are the perfect murder weapon
There are some weird people on this thread...I like the murder weapon thing though, hehe.
To the OP...I'm guessing this is a phobia, (osteophobia?) which means it doesn't really have to make much sense but is real and scary for you. Perhaps something like hypnotism would help?
Reply 9
englishstudent
Then before you know it you will be able to touch everyone's bones without feeling ill.

When does any normal person go round touching other people's bones? Unless they're a pathologist.
So you don't play with the skeleton in biology?
Oh man, you should. it'll get you used to bones.
We always either used to put its finger up its nose, or make it scratch its arse.

Yep. Mature or what?
Reply 11
bones! i need bones for fooooood!

we never had a skeleton in our science rooms :frown:
Reply 12
lol, I used to feel squeamish when I touched my collar bone - just cause it (like everyone else's) sticks out so much
Reply 13
i love my collar bone!
pumpkin7
i love my collar bone!

Me too. I like it because it sticks out and sometimes makes me think I'm not fat, because if I was, you would not see it. Same with my ribs.
pumpkin7
i love my collar bone!

Me too. I like it because it sticks out and sometimes makes me think I'm not fat, because if I was, you would not see it. Same with my ribs.
Reply 16
go into a quiet room. turn out the lights and close your eyes. visulise your body in your mind. see the skin, fatty parts, then finally the bones. move your hands over your body, remaining calm. when you touch bones, shout 'bones, bones...' and soon you will not be afraid.

alternatively, watch the film 'the bone collector' and face your fears directly