Turn on thread page Beta

Open Applications watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    A lot of teaching is organised centrally through the faculties.
    Yes, although that seems to be more true of Cambridge than of Oxford, no?

ReputationRep:
    No, it doesn't make you snobby, but it does show that you are incredibly fickle and only seem to want to go for the prestige.
    No.....going to Oxbridge for the prestige....really?! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Yes, although that seems to be more true of Cambridge than of Oxford, no?
    Erm, well as Teddy Hall is in Oxford, not necessarily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    I'd rather live in a 13th or 14th Century building purely for the "Oxbridge experience". I couldn't stand going to a red brick college! But that doesn't make me snobby though. It's a difference in taste.

I understand what you mean about the "Oxbridge experience", but the education is equally as important. My college is a very good college for English - all my supervisiors lecture in the papers I take with them and they make a conscious effort to cover papers in terms where there are many faculty lectures on them. Plus, they are all nice and non-stuffy. Two people in my class go to Trinity for a supervision a week and they have a man who is ridiculously cruel and is renowned for being sexist - he will particularly "pick on" women and ask ridiculous questions for the sake of making them feel stupid.

I love my college, it suits me and I'm glad it does I'm hope your "more prestigious" college will suit you just as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    No.....going to Oxbridge for the prestige....really?! :rolleyes:
    Going to an individual college simply for the prestige has always seemed a bit stupid to me. You get the same degree at the end of your three years, and to say that you would never dream of going to a 'red brick' college seems a really bizarre statement to make, considering they are all part of the same university.

ReputationRep:
    Going to an individual college simply for the prestige has always seemed a bit stupid to me. You get the same degree at the end of your three years, and to say that you would never dream of going to a 'red brick' college seems a really bizarre statement to make, considering they are all part of the same university.
    Some of the Cambridge colleges are so ugly I couldn't possibly live in them for three years. But that's just my opinion, and I appreciate that you may love what I perceive to be an ugly college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I understand what you mean about the "Oxbridge experience", but the education is equally as important. My college is a very good college for English - all my supervisiors lecture in the papers I take with them and they make a conscious effort to cover papers in terms where there are many faculty lectures on them. Plus, they are all nice and non-stuffy. Two people in my class go to Trinity for a supervision a week and they have a man who is ridiculously cruel and is renowned for being sexist - he will particularly "pick on" women and ask ridiculous questions for the sake of making them feel stupid.

I love my college, it suits me and I'm glad it does I'm hope your "more prestigious" college will suit you just as well.
    Yes, and as I said, the education for say History will be better at Peterhouse, Pembroke or Christ's, because they take a lot of Historians and have a good number of History tutors. On the other hand, Churchill has a better reputation for NatSci.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps not snobby, but very silly to judge a college by its architecture - especially as you're not even here yet.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps not snobby, but very silly to judge a college by its architecture - especially as you're not even here yet.
    :rolleyes: See post above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Some of the Cambridge colleges are so ugly I couldn't possibly live in them for three years. But that's just my opinion, and I appreciate that you may love what I perceive to be an ugly college.

See quote in relation to previous post :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Architecture and history seems to be at the top of Tek's list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)
    Architecture and history seems to be at the top of Tek's list.
    And education. So basically an attractive college which has a good History intake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    And education. So basically an attractive college which has a good History intake.
    = Peterhouse?

ReputationRep:
    = Peterhouse?
    = Peterhouse, Christ's, Queen's, Pembroke.

ReputationRep:
    Tek, seriously, what will you do if you get pooled to a concrete monstrosity? Or only get offers from ugly redbrick unis? Are you just not going to goto uni?

ReputationRep:
    = Peterhouse?
    Peterhouse doesn't exactly have a good standing in the Tompkins table though, maybe it can only muster the 13th century architecture...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Tek, seriously, what will you do if you get pooled to a concrete monstrosity? Or only get offers from ugly redbrick unis? Are you just not going to goto uni?
    Of course I'd accept any offer from Cambridge, but I'd prefer to go to a "nice" college.

If I "only got offers from ugly redbrick unis" then I'd obviously reapply to Oxbridge, Durham, etc...

ReputationRep:
    I now understand why you have AS levels in your profile. So you don't even have an offer anyway...

ReputationRep:
    So you don't even have an offer anyway...
    No, not yet, and quite possibly never. I'm still sixteen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Of course I'd accept any offer from Cambridge, but I'd prefer to go to a "nice" college.

If I "only got offers from ugly redbrick unis" then I'd obviously reapply to Oxbridge, Durham, etc...
    Say Cam, Durham, St Andrews, and all the other leafy ones reject you, twice, and you only had offers from say, Liverpool and Sheffield? Would you take this offer up? It happens. Though I can see it probably wouldn't happen to you. Just wondering how you'd react.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.