The Student Room Group

Plastic should be made illegal

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
Bit of a silly quote to use. There's nothing we can do on this planet to stop, or indeed help, the sun to shine.

Dude, what about sacrificing people?
Reply 41
Original post by bestofyou
to be used for all food/drink products. As well as to transport products from a store to another location.

We simply use too much of it. It is killing this planet. It is bad enough that something such as cars that are so bad for the environment will not be made illegal for a long time (alternatives = bikes/electric cars/public transport) because of the protest it most likely would face as so many are so dependant on their four wheeled earth killer. However why not ban all plastic packaging on food products?

It makes much more sense for coca-cola to use the glass bottles then have the bottle returned to them and reused rather than some fat guy drinking it then throwing it away into his general waste bin.

In most cases it is just sheer coperate greed that to use a package harmful to the environment over a slightly more expensive one that is not. Why do the wrap bread in platic bags? It last for 3days then is thrown away. Paper bread bags do exist, however it is only the small minority of bakeries that bother to use them. Which is where the arguement comes in, why not make plastic food packaging illegal (for the majority of foods) and prevent these greedy coperations from taking the cheap and earth harming option?

The only way to stop that is to make plastic packaging illegal. Maybe not for all products. But certinly a majority.

I have made several threads about how this time we live in isn't as exciting as previous ones. Th e fight club quote for example, no great war, no great depression... I believed this to be true until tonight. In fact I have changed my view entirely. Yes we have no war with another nation, our economy isn't in total ruin (yet).

Yes we have no great war, no great depression, but our war is with ourselves and our depression is the failure to prevent our total ruin despite knowing how. The power to save ourselves and our planet is at our very finger tips, yet we choose not to do anything. People will look back on this generation and see either one of the greatest generations to walk the earth, a generation that saved humanity. Or it will see a greedy, selfish and above all stupid generation that knocked over the domino that started the end of the human race despite having more than enough knowledge and capability to prevent it.

Does our ruin benefit the earth? Does it help the grass to grow, the sun to shine? Is this darkness in you, too? Have you passed through this night?

LOL the alternatives you mentioned all use a substantial amount of plastic, what do you think bike tyres and several other components in bikes / electric cars are made off mr brainbox?
Reply 42
Original post by A level Az
Bro, once we achieve nuclear fusion we're in the ****ing clear and we can finally leave our lights on.

Too bad fusion will not be around for another few hundred years.
And lets say fusion can be sustained with low energy input TOMORROW it will still take us 5 years to barely see its use and at least another 30 years before it replaces other major energy sources - Oh not to mention it would probably be exclusive to the G8 and perhaps a few other countries...IE: More than half of the worlds energy consumers would not feel its effect for several decades.
Original post by kidoo
Too bad fusion will not be around for another few hundred years.
And lets say fusion can be sustained with low energy input TOMORROW it will still take us 5 years to barely see its use and at least another 30 years before it replaces other major energy sources - Oh not to mention it would probably be exclusive to the G8 and perhaps a few other countries...IE: More than half of the worlds energy consumers would not feel its effect for several decades.

Some nice statistics you've pulled out of your rectum there...proof?
What is the great harm plastic is supposedly responsible for? Is it greater or less than the cost of using less suitable materials for food and other packaging?
Reply 45
Far too extreme, it would and could never happen.

However, we could simply tax plastics more harshly, which I would support. Banning is a silly notion. But putting a higher tax on them, one that hurts both the consumer and the company would give incentive to use more renewable materials.
Reply 46
Dude
to be used for all food/drink products. As well as to transport products from a store to another location.

We simply use too much of it. It is killing this planet. It is bad enough that something such as cars that are so bad for the environment will not be made illegal for a long time (alternatives = bikes/electric cars/public transport) because of the protest it most likely would face as so many are so dependant on their four wheeled earth killer. However why not ban all plastic packaging on food products?

It makes much more sense for coca-cola to use the glass bottles then have the bottle returned to them and reused rather than some fat guy drinking it then throwing it away into his general waste bin.

In most cases it is just sheer coperate greed that to use a package harmful to the environment over a slightly more expensive one that is not. Why do the wrap bread in platic bags? It last for 3days then is thrown away. Paper bread bags do exist, however it is only the small minority of bakeries that bother to use them. Which is where the arguement comes in, why not make plastic food packaging illegal (for the majority of foods) and prevent these greedy coperations from taking the cheap and earth harming option?

The only way to stop that is to make plastic packaging illegal. Maybe not for all products. But certinly a majority.

I have made several threads about how this time we live in isn't as exciting as previous ones. Th e fight club quote for example, no great war, no great depression... I believed this to be true until tonight. In fact I have changed my view entirely. Yes we have no war with another nation, our economy isn't in total ruin (yet).

Yes we have no great war, no great depression, but our war is with ourselves and our depression is the failure to prevent our total ruin despite knowing how. The power to save ourselves and our planet is at our very finger tips, yet we choose not to do anything. People will look back on this generation and see either one of the greatest generations to walk the earth, a generation that saved humanity. Or it will see a greedy, selfish and above all stupid generation that knocked over the domino that started the end of the human race despite having more than enough knowledge and capability to prevent it.

Does our ruin benefit the earth? Does it help the grass to grow, the sun to shine? Is this darkness in you, too? Have you passed through this night?

Are you really quoting Fight Club and expecting us to pay attention to your preaching?
I too think we use so much plastic where it is not necessary, and I'm all for tightening legislations and encouraging companies to use alternative materials... but an outright ban is ludicrous.
Reply 49
Original post by A level Az
Some nice statistics you've pulled out of your rectum there...proof?

Wikipedia
It is estimated that up to the point of possible implementation of electricity generation by nuclear fusion, R&D will need further promotion totalling around 60-80 billion over a period of 50 years

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6168226.stm

Thats mainly what I'm basing my opinion on, and common sense dictates that this technology would not be available to 3rd world countries for a very long time if viable nuclear fusion is achieved.
Reply 50
Original post by DynamicSyngery
What is the great harm plastic is supposedly responsible for? Is it greater or less than the cost of using less suitable materials for food and other packaging?

Google image 'Citarum River'.
You can argue that there is way too much packaging on a lot of products, I agree with that, but what is all this stuff about going to the butchers? Supermarket shopping is stressful enough without having to go to a separate shop for meat as well, and quite often supermarkets have their own butchers section anyway.

Amen.

Every piece of plastic ever made..is still on the planet. Its so destructive. Not just the pollution side when its made, but the 'thrown away' side. The amount of marine life that dies from ingesting plastic is ridiculous.

I hate the stuff. We don't need it... Toiletries, well glass bottles exist and Lush have shown that plastic is simply not required. Food packaging, jesus christ. The amount we use is INSANE. It drives me crazy.

Must.stop.ranting.

But yes. Completely agree.
Reply 53
Original post by diving_queen
Every piece of plastic ever made..is still on the planet. Its so destructive. Not just the pollution side when its made, but the 'thrown away' side. The amount of marine life that dies from ingesting plastic is ridiculous.

Although you don't see it because most it becomes microscopic pieces. Although the situation would be a lot worse if it wasn't for those bacteria.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by No Man
Google image 'Citarum River'.

Since very few people on this site are from Indonesia it is unlikely that their use of plastic has any effect on this river.
Reply 55
Don't make me laugh. I'm a studnet, and a first year at that. So I go out more than other stuents therefore spending more money on alcohol. Yet I can still go to the butcher. I makes more sense. For a start, the butcher isn't more expensive. Yes it costs more, but there is a different between a cheap product and a product that costs less. Most supermarket meats are crap in a bag so while you spend less on supermarket meat, you aren't getting a better deal, therefore it isn't cheaper. The butcher doesn't cost that much more. If you become a regular you will beable to haggle the price down when you by in bulk and freeze. I'd rather pay a few 10ps extra for proper food than save 50p buying food I'd think twice about giving my dog.

And before you reply saying supermarket meat isn't that bad, yes, but once its been sitting on a self in its own bactrica then yes, it really is that bad.

If your really wanted to help the environment you would be better off giving up meat (or at least cutting back) rather than plastic. I'd imaging the environmental impact of producing a joint of meat far exceeds that of producing the plastic wrapper.

That way you reduce CO2 emissions dramatically, reduce the pressure for deforestation, reduce world food prices so poorer people can afford to eat properly and potentially improve your own health.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by KnapAttackUK
Are you really quoting Fight Club and expecting us to pay attention to your preaching?

Fight club is one of the greatest pieces of literature ever written. Whats wrong with quoting fight club?

Original post by kidoo
LOL the alternatives you mentioned all use a substantial amount of plastic, what do you think bike tyres and several other components in bikes / electric cars are made off mr brainbox?

LOL at the stupidity of this comment. I never said to stop using plastic, I said we should cut the majority of it out of the food industry. I never said to stop using it.

I mentioned bikes/electric cars etc not as alternatives to plastic but as alternatives to actual cars which are very harmful to the environment.

LOL again.

LOL

Original post by Mbob
If your really wanted to help the environment you would be better off giving up meat (or at least cutting back) rather than plastic. I'd imaging the environmental impact of producing a joint of meat far exceeds that of producing the plastic wrapper.

That way you reduce CO2 emissions dramatically, reduce the pressure for deforestation, reduce world food prices so poorer people can afford to eat properly and potentially improve your own health.

locally produced meat wouldn't really harm the environment that much. The processed crap yeah, but not proper stuff, its all done with the knife.

While I know that plastic doesnt harm the environment as much as other things, it is one of the few things that can be replaces almost overnight. Which is why I think it is ridiculous that we are still using it for things that don't need it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Illogical rant.

1. Plastics enable us our modern lifestyle, don't be silly.

2. The arrogance to assume we're able to kill a planet. The Earth is going to be here long after us probably and if we disappear tomorrow in the grand scheme of things the Earth will barely have felt our presence.
Reply 58
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
1. Plastics enable us our modern lifestyle, don't be silly.

2. The arrogance to assume we're able to kill a planet. The Earth is going to be here long after us probably and if we disappear tomorrow in the grand scheme of things the Earth will barely have felt our presence.

When did I say plastic isn't useful? Prehaps your should not only read my post, but try to understand it. I am saying that it shouldn't be allowed to use plastic for short term products that don't need it. To package bread for example.

The earth may still be here yes, but we are still damaging it with our current lifestyle. The earth will barely feel our presence? WTF lad? t think in indonesia alone, only 10% of the original rainforest exists today. The earth will recover from that if we disappeared yes, but right now it is certainly feeling our presence.

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Drewski
Bit of a silly quote to use. There's nothing we can do on this planet to stop, or indeed help, the sun to shine.

The quote isn't black and white. There is a little more to it than meets the eye. The quote is fine for this thread.

Original post by TheJ0ker
Lol what genius alternatives can you offer? Because I would have thought that there are a fair few people who are considerably smarter than you trying to figure it out and if they haven't worked it out yet I doubt you will.....

So basically your an idiot.

I don't think that using paper bags instead of plastic for food stuff is a genius alternative. It is simply common sense and is already being used. But because it is cheaper to use plastic people will go for that option. All I am saying is that plastic should not be allowed to be use for packaging certain foods. This is the only way companies will not use it. They already know the damage it causes but still use it over paper as it is cheaper.

Original post by cl_steele
im willing to bed alot of money your typing on a PLASTIC keyboard, you drink from PLASTIC cups, you eat food packaged in PLASTIC etc. hypocrite.

FOR **** SAKE. HOW MANY ****ING PEOPLE ON THIS ****ING SITE ARE THERE THAT CAN'T ****ING READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am talking about banning plastic for certain food products that don't need it. I am, and this must be the 3rd/4th time I had to say this, I am not talking about a total ban on plastic.

When I buy a laptop, I don't throw it into a river 3day later do I?!!!!!!!!!!!!

And no I am not a hpyocrite. I only buy plastic wrapped foods when there is no other option. I never use plastic bags to carry my shopping if I have an alternative and use paper wrapped foods if it is there (which usually is not). The point in this thread is people have to use plastic when there is no alternative. If its use in food was banned there would be a considerable amount less plastic being thown into landfills, the sea and rivers.

Do me a favor and read the ****ing thread before basing your comment on 5 words in the title.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending