The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You might make it on the show "Extreme Makeover" or "The Swan" and get a free reconstruction.
Reply 2
Inclination
You might make it on the show "Extreme Makeover" or "The Swan" and get a free reconstruction.
Yeah that's true :laugh:

But what about in general in terms of work/university study? Would you say in some ways being unattractive is an advantage?
Reply 3
I would say that it isnt an advantage really. People are more likely to listen to an attractive person and they are also more likely to chosen for a job they might apply for.
Reply 4
you arent going to have pictures of you doing coke on the front of newspapers?
Reply 5
Ugliness should be considered a disability. Because it stops you from living a normal life.

I'm studying psychology so would be intersted to know, thankyou.

So why do people rate each other on looks then?
Reply 6
It's a positive because people assume you are intelligent, especially if you wear glasses. But it depends on what the person looks like - if it's just a bit plain you'll be less discriminated against than a really ugly person.
Reply 7
Firstly, there is no real way to measure 'attractiveness'. It all depends upon people who see inidividuals as just that, because we are all different (Individual Differences). Secondly, if you consider yourself to be unattractive, thus giving yourself the label of being 'unattractive' (Labelling theory) then you are likely to consider yourself as being ugly etc, and even possibly live up to the label you have been given (Self-fulfilling Prophecy). That way you are more likely to do something about it if it is depressing you or affecting your life/health in some way. Also, it depends upon how you define the term 'attractive' - in terms of looks, personality or both? - Then, who you want to appear attractive to (the opposite sex?). All of these things need to be taken into account.
Reply 8
Poica
It's a positive because people assume you are intelligent, especially if you wear glasses. But it depends on what the person looks like - if it's just a bit plain you'll be less discriminated against than a really ugly person.

Im hot and I wear glasses and Im intelligent :wink:
Everybody loves me :rolleyes: lol
Reply 9
I have no idea.
Reply 10
Lotte
Firstly, there is no real way to measure 'attractiveness'.

Why not? Symmetrical facial features have been proven to be attractive in every culture.

It all depends upon people who see inidividuals as just that, because we are all different (Individual Differences). Secondly, if you consider yourself to be unattractive, thus giving yourself the label of being 'unattractive' (Labelling theory) then you are likely to consider yourself as being ugly etc, and even possibly live up to the label you have been given (Self-fulfilling Prophecy). That way you are more likely to do something about it if it is depressing you or affecting your life/health in some way. Also, it depends upon how you define the term 'attractive' - in terms of looks, personality or both? - Then, who you want to appear attractive to (the opposite sex?). All of these things need to be taken into account.

Uh-huh?
1) Your walk to work doesn't get interrupted by builders whistling at you and yelling "cor I fancy a bit of that love"

2) In theory you can be sure that guys who chat you up are interested in you for your mind rather than your looks (unless it's closing time and he's playing "pull a minger" with his mates)
Tarts_n_Vicars
1) Your walk to work doesn't get interrupted by builders whistling at you and yelling "cor I fancy a bit of that love"

2) In theory you can be sure that guys who chat you up are interested in you for your mind rather than your looks (unless it's closing time and he's playing "pull a minger" with his mates)

:toofunny:
Reply 13
Tarts_n_Vicars

The thought of that game scares the crap out of me :frown:

I'm not sure if it is an advantage really. Certainly when it comes to job interviews etc, being that bit more attractive can give you an edge, all other things being equal (especially if your interviewer is of the opposite sex)
I agree...but some of us are just born unattractive lol
x-lolly-x
I would say that it isnt an advantage really. People are more likely to listen to an attractive person and they are also more likely to chosen for a job they might apply for.
which is similar to the Halo effect. :smile:

Wiki
The 'Halo effect' is when a person's perception of another is influenced by their appearance. Most commonly attractive people are judged as having a more desirable personality than someone of average appearance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect
Brian Wilson
which is similar to the Halo effect. :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect

I'd never heard of that before.

Interesting theory.
Reply 17
It depends, as has been said if you are ugly you can be stereotyped that can be an advantage at times.
you also get to play Aunt Agony to all your attractive friends. prepares you for spinsterhood it does.
I think if you are attractive you will be more concerned with staying that way and more likely to worry about ageing and 'losing' your good looks. So I suppose if you are less attractive you don't care as much about that kind of thing...