physics or maths a level? which is harder?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Noor Tanveer
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
To all those a levels students out there please please help!!!!
I'm a gcse student atm and choosing to take my a levels and I have decided to take chemistry, biology, history ... but i'm confused between maths or physics?

I hate both of them subjects like hell .. but if i wanna go to medicine I have no choice .. .. so which one is harder physics a level or maths a level?? Btw I'm predicted to get a B/A in maths .. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Revd. Mike
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Noor Tanveer)
I'm a gcse student atm and choosing to take my a levels and I have decided to take chemistry, biology, history ... but i'm confused between maths or physics?

I hate both of them subjects like hell .. but if i wanna go to medicine I have no choice .. .. so which one is harder physics a level or maths a level?? Btw I'm predicted to get a B/A in maths .. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Who says you have to do physics or maths to do medicine?

Also, if you hate a subject then you're going to find it hard. Don't take a subject you hate or you'll be miserable and it'll be a waste of your time when you get a poor grade.
Mero8
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Revd. Mike)
Who says you have to do physics or maths to do medicine?

Also, if you hate a subject then you're going to find it hard. Don't take a subject you hate or you'll be miserable and it'll be a waste of your time when you get a poor grade.
Usually for medicine they ask for Chemistry as well as two other science subjects as AS (biology/physics/maths) and then Chemistry and one other at least at A2.

For OP, I'm not sure what exam board, but the A Levels I am doing Maths is generally a lot easier than all of the Sciences.
X1tinkerbellx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Physics without a doubt
Nymthae
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You don't need either of them to do medicine.

As for which is harder, kinda subjective. You're predicted a B/A in Maths, what are you predicted in Physics? If you hate both of them then don't do either of them
lighterthanAyer
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Maths is preferable for applying to medical schools, but it's not compulsory. You're much better off choosing something else which you'll do well in instead of physics
FDR
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Noor Tanveer)

You don't need Maths or Physics to do medicine - just look at Universities requirements, and you'll see that most ask only for Biology and Chemistry (although at top universities, having Maths will enhance your application).

Anyway, I do both Maths an Physics at A2, so I'll try and help you.

For Maths, a lot of people take this up at A level because they need it, however I would strongly recommend that if you don't get an A* at GCSE, you don't do it - at my school, a lot of people had to leave the course because they failed in the January module, and couldn't cope with it. I went from having a class of over 20 at AS to a class of 6 now at A2 (same with Physics). The thing is though, if you are confident with Maths, the step up, in my opinion isn't huge at all - it's all building on foundations which you learnt at GCSE - core 1 was mostly just GCSE stuff with a few new concepts thrown in.

Physics is alright at AS, there is a bit of maths involved, but nothing too difficult, you just need to be able to use common sense, although unlike GCSE, where you can just regurgitate textbook knowledge, you need to be able to apply your knowledge. I think if you're not confident with Maths, but want to take another science, take Physics.
Noor Tanveer
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks a lot guys! This really helped me a lot! and i'm predicted a B/C for physics too LOL
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Most schools I know do not allow you to take Physics without maths so the question would be moot
Bacardibreezer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The general consensus is that maths is slightly easier when you compare Edexcel maths with Edexcel physics (as these are the courses taught at my college). I am not sure about other exam boards... I do physics, but many of my friends who do physics and maths say maths is easier.
username570224
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had the same choice last year as you...I chose Maths. It's worth noting that entrance exams for med (BMAT/UKCAT) have a significantly larger amount of maths in comparison with phys, so in terms of an application, I'd say maths is more useful...but honestly, it's up to you as to what you'd find easier...

Also, my physics teacher was a real weirdo (funny, but weird o.0) so I went with maths
acrawford957
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Physics
daniellelouise
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TenOfThem)
Most schools I know do not allow you to take Physics without maths so the question would be moot
I can see why, from what i hear it's pretty much all maths, but even harder
zoeaw
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you're predicted a C in physics, do maths.
Alexandra's Box
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You don't need Maths/Physics apart from some colleges at Oxbridge... I hope!
I'm not doing either :eek4:

Although I'd find Maths a LOT easier, I believe.
Bacardibreezer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by daniellelouise)
I can see why, from what i hear it's pretty much all maths, but even harder
Our January exam had very little maths in it, and instead had a lot of "explain" questions, but on things we hadn't actually looked at. No wonder the grade boundaries for physics are usually something like 65% for an A as opposed to 80% + for maths.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had this exact same dilemma when choosing my A Levels..

I now realize that Physics is easier than Maths.. Maths just gives me a headache. My classmates also seem to think the same.

But I think it's different with different people.

EDIT: Also, I think it might depend on your exam board. For physics, I did Edexcel, which seemed do-able for me..
ummm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To be honest, maths isn't really thaaat hard. Sure, things seem confusing as you first encounter them and try to contemplate them in your head, but once you understand it, it's just practice, and it becomes second nature.

I don't take physics, but a lots of people at my school did. Even those taking further maths, and who got A*'s with nearly full UMS at GCSE find it really hard - it's a big step up from GCSE! It's maths, but you also need a really thorough understanding of the theory involved, and be able to apply it.

So, yeah, I'd say that Physics is harder. Go with maths - I like maths!

(But of course, difficulty is subjective... so it's different from person to person).
npaul4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I dont know if either are necessary but my friend is applying for medicine and she took maths instead of physics.

I do both at a-level. To be honest it depends on the person, I find physics really hard and maths relatively easy so I would say maths but it depends on what you're best at. My theory is that for maths theres always a deffinate right/wrong answer so you just learn how to do it, whereas physics its mainly about explaining so its harder to learn and get right.
hallobros
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Physics is a lot easier if you can understand what the question wants you to do.Maths is more predictable and practice is the key.Whereas in physics you can practice all you like but there still might be a question you can't do. For me Maths is harder but physics is more frustrating.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (12)
6.28%
Uncertainty around my education (21)
10.99%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (21)
10.99%
Lack of purpose or motivation (29)
15.18%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (12)
6.28%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
3.66%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (16)
8.38%
Financial worries (10)
5.24%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (6)
3.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (14)
7.33%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
3.14%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (23)
12.04%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (14)
7.33%

Watched Threads