The Student Room Group

Working at Thorpe Park

Hi guys, I'm having an interview soon for Thorpe Park and it will be my first job ever. I hear the interview process itself is not that difficult but was just wondering if anyone who worked there liked/ didn't like it and for what reasons?

Scroll to see replies

All I can say is, the novelty of working in a theme park wears off very quickly.
Reply 2
Haha I can imagine, but it does seem like a nice place to work at overall...
Surely someone else has info for the OP...
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Surely someone else has info for the OP...

Yeah: the female ride attendants are FIIIIIT!

... :awesome:
Hey my cousin lives in Staines and he's worked there the past 2 summers. He's at University far away so has to be flexible with hours and from what I hear they allow him to be flexible (within reason) with when he's working. He's a cleaner there and he loves it because he gets to work as part of a team and I think he likes the people he works with.

Good luck with your interview try and stick out from everyone else maybe be a bit creative.
It sucks balls because the entire park is run by kids. Be prepared to work with idiots who can only scrape together a btec in travel and tourism. Seriously. They all seem to be college kids studying this bs.

True story.

Plus the job is boring as ****. The only highlight will include gawping at the skank gangs in ridiculously tiny skirts. It's also lolsworthy when you get some little scrote trying to square up to you to impress his scrote friends.

Oh and loading the fatties entirely on one side of the ride is also entertaining.
(edited 12 years ago)
It will look good on your C.V when you apply to the Alton Towers internship

who knows

Disneyland may even look favourably on your job
Original post by Drunk Punx

... :awesome:

I've been there loads and that is actually pretty true... :cheers:
Reply 9
Don't do it OP!
Theme park attendants always look so depressed....:erm:
Reply 10
Hey my cousin lives in Staines and he's worked there the past 2 summers. He's at University far away so has to be flexible with hours and from what I hear they allow him to be flexible (within reason) with when he's working. He's a cleaner there and he loves it because he gets to work as part of a team and I think he likes the people he works with.

Yes, I heard the same, that because they have such a large number of staff that it's generally quite easy to be flexible with dates and stuff. I'd be needing something like that since I'm at uni. I don't really want to be part of the cleaning team though, but I don't think I wrote that down on my application.

It sucks balls because the entire park is run by kids. Be prepared to work with idiots who can only scrape together a btec in travel and tourism. Seriously. They all seem to be college kids studying this bs.

It may be, but that might make the job more interesting? I'm aware that I'm not exactly walking into my career path here but hey it's a job, get some money and some work experience :smile: If I hate it I can just quit.
Reply 11

BONUS, haha :biggrin:
Have you had your interview yet? If so how was it? I got my interview this week and I don't know what to expect :/
Reply 13
Original post by IntenseSoldier
Have you had your interview yet? If so how was it? I got my interview this week and I don't know what to expect :/

working at TP is good if you work for the rides department or entertainments. You get good hours for students and good pay and actually if you work for rides the majority of people are 20+ at university or working fulltime at TP. The interview is an assessment centre, you do some team exercises where you are against other teams, you bring in an object that 'depicts' you and stand up and explain. Just make eye contact, work well in the team, laugh, don't take over but don't be shy. You also have a short one to one interview with a manager from the department you want to work for. TP is a fun and very challenging place to work and it's not for some people ut the majority who work with me love it have come back season afte season. I'm about to start my second season and it's such an easy job to have along side doing my a-levels ad hopefully can work their next year during summer when i go to uni. Hope this helps :biggrin:
Original post by Lydia1234
working at TP is good if you work for the rides department or entertainments. You get good hours for students and good pay and actually if you work for rides the majority of people are 20+ at university or working fulltime at TP. The interview is an assessment centre, you do some team exercises where you are against other teams, you bring in an object that 'depicts' you and stand up and explain. Just make eye contact, work well in the team, laugh, don't take over but don't be shy. You also have a short one to one interview with a manager from the department you want to work for. TP is a fun and very challenging place to work and it's not for some people ut the majority who work with me love it have come back season afte season. I'm about to start my second season and it's such an easy job to have along side doing my a-levels ad hopefully can work their next year during summer when i go to uni. Hope this helps :biggrin:

Wow thanks Lydia! That was very very helpful and saved me allot of google'ing haha :smile:

Just one question in response to your answer, I was never told to bring in an 'object' I was just e-mailed to come in for an interview at 9.30AM (I applied for rides btw) so yeah I think I'm just getting a 1 on 1 interview :/
Reply 15
Rides is awesome! (I haven't worked at Thorpe, but have at other parks). It's what you make of it really - some people at Thorpe and Alton look so depressed. Yeah if you go through the motions it is repetitive so will be boring, but if you get on well with your crew and interact with the guests and enjoy it then it'll be more fun for everyone and you'll have a great time. It's also really good work experience to have - I always use examples from rides far more for grad applications than from when I worked in a shop, or even uni work.
Sounds interesting & I couldn't agree more :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by IntenseSoldier

Hi, yeah I've got the job!!! :biggrin:
The assessment centre/ interview was very pleasant. Part of it was group activities, then we had a maths test (ridiculously easy, they even give you a calculator), then we move on to the individual interviews. The guy who interviewed me was really nice and made jokes, which was quite comforting considering it was kind of my first real job interview ever. i'll be working for Admissions, meaning apparently getting people in and out and I have an induction in a couple weeks time. To be honest, I genuinely cannot wait to start as it sounds like really good fun and it's definitely not bad pay.
I'll let you guys know if it goes well and good luck on your interview!
Reply 18
What is the pay at Thorpe like? Guess it's not min wage then?
Reply 19
I had my interview about 10 days ago! Was a ton of fun! Zabachary, when was your interview/how long did it take for you to hear back from them? Haven't heard anything yet :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending