gcse requirements for OXBRIDGE economics. Watch

osama2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
hi guys i was just wondering what GCSE requirements oxbridge had for a course in economics or something in finance. because the thing is i have been currently been looking at gcse requirements for medicine at oxvridge and they require something like 8 to 9 A*s.
thanks
michael321
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by osama2)
hi guys i was just wondering what GCSE requirements oxbridge had for a course in economics or something in finance. because the thing is i have been currently been looking at gcse requirements for medicine at oxvridge and they require something like 8 to 9 A*s.
thanks
As I understand it, Oxford shortlists for interview by giving candidates a score based on their GCSE results and admissions test scores. Which would suggest that you could get slightly sub-par GCSEs and be pulled up by a good test score. Also, remember that Oxford and Cambridge will look at your GCSEs in relation to your school's performance. That said, most people who do get in will have very good GCSEs.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
thanks
Medicine has exceptionally high GCSE requirements (for Oxford, not cambridge). Economics at Cambridge also has UMS to look at. There is no economics course at Oxford - only combined courses.
Colmans
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
thanks
There are no GCSE "requirements" for Cambridge as long as you can supply AS UMS marks. For economics the UMS marks are in the range 95% average for best three subjects and you put yourself at a major disadvantage if you don't offer FM.

http://www.cai.cam.ac.uk/economics

The reality is that most people who go on to get 95% UMS also got mostly A* at GCSE. In addition an economist at Cambridge needs to be good at both essay writing and analysis and can demonstrate this by a good range of A* at GCSE if they don't have both science and humanities at A2.

Economics is very competitive, typical choices such as LSE, UCL & Warwick also make A*AA offers (I'm not aware of any other medical schools that do?).
Success rate for medicine at Cambridge 16%, Economics is only 13.5%
jayjay531
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I want to apply to Oxbridge, but don't know whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge
At GCSE I got 9A*'s, 3A's and a C in Astronomy
At A-level I got AAAB
87.8 in Maths (C1-93, C2-96, S1-74)
90.3 in Biology
79 in Chemistry (Was one away from an A, but hopefully a remark is kind to me)
93.5 in Economics
- The average of my 3 best subjects would be 90.5
I'm also head boy at my school xD
My school didn't offer further maths last year, but this year they are, and I intend on picking up AS further maths
I've been to the Eton, UNIQ (Oxford), Cambridge, and LSE Summer Schools
The secondary school I went to and the sixth form I currently go to are considered 'deprived' and I am also an ethnic minority.

I wouldn't mind applying to Oxford or Cambridge (for economics), but it's just that I am so afraid of the TSA - which I might flop on the day. Especially since I havent had the time to appropriately revise for it

In light of this information, should I apply to Oxford or Cambridge? And why ?
I really need some help and advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (74)
24.03%
No (234)
75.97%

Watched Threads