Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

BA Philosophy at Birkbeck - Distance learning Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am interested in the BA Philosophy course at Birkbeck - anybody out there with current or past experiences to share?

I have come across a fair amount of criticism for University of London's External program, and am curious to see if it applies to the courses done through Birkbeck too...

Thanks!

ram

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want to do a distance learning course? I was researching it too but decided against it, as it would be too difficult to teach myself.

ReputationRep:
    Distance because I'm in India! Also, I have a stable career which mercifully allows me to control my time ( in big chunks - I'm a cinematographer ) and therefore, should I so choose, allows me to pursue another career/hobby/discipline. I do choose indeed, and have always found philosophical inquiry inspiring ( I majored in Physics in college - crashed and burned, but that's another story ). So, while I definitely find the course material daunting, that is precisely the challenge that I feel I need. Also, since the effort is purely for personal improvement, I do not see it as a risk or an as investment. Perhaps I should do the diploma before committing to a BA, but then as a mature student I am loathe to lose time, even if only for one course... Why did you decide against distance learning?

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    I'm doing the BA in Philosophy so feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Btw, here's the facebook page of the programme:
    http://www.facebook.com/uol.philosophy

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.