Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone like to share experiences?

One supervisior gives us chocolate and biscuits and is lovely. One calls me "love" and another always has coffee. My tutor has a termly "tapas party" for us. A friend has a supervisior who has a chair specifically for her cat..

I have also heard horror stories about supervisors in other colleges, but the worst I've experienced is "more" after I've finished talking ... and then had to come up with something else.

ReputationRep:
    what college did that happen to be?!

ReputationRep:
    nice = New Hall

nasty experiences of fellow students = Trinity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Would anyone like to share experiences?

One supervisior gives us chocolate and biscuits and is lovely. One calls me "love" and another always has coffee. My tutor has a termly "tapas party" for us. A friend has a supervisior who has a chair specifically for her cat..

I have also heard horror stories about supervisors in other colleges, but the worst I've experienced is "more" after I've finished talking ... and then had to come up with something else.
    omg, at my interview one of the interviewers kept shouting 'more' at me after I finished answering questions!!!

ReputationRep:
    at least you have a nice supervisor.....does anybody know what the surpervisors are like at New College, Oxford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)
    omg, at my interview one of the interviewers kept shouting 'more' at me after I finished answering questions!!!
    was that at an interview at Trinity??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    was that at an interview at Trinity??
    No, Wolfson. Although the interviewer was from Jesus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)

Indeed, I have learnt now - interject on everything you know about and you're less likely to be "picked on" and get a question on a subject you have NO idea about!

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, I have learnt now - interject on everything you know about and you're less likely to be "picked on" and get a question on a subject you have NO idea about!
    What do u study? and describe to me a typical sup drawing on specific examples........................ ......

ReputationRep:
    Do any of you at oxbridge ever feel like you have to live up to their expectations after them liking you at interview? As in, do you fear they may be thinking they made the wrong choice in letting you in?

ReputationRep:
    that must be a really demoralising feeling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    that must be a really demoralising feeling
    What must?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Do any of you at oxbridge ever feel like you have to live up to their expectations after them liking you at interview? As in, do you fear they may be thinking they made the wrong choice in letting you in?
    Well, yes but the EVIL interviewer is the one that calls me "love". And my other interviewer is the biscuit man. I try and make them proud, but to be honest they're clever enough to know who is right and who isn't.

A typical supervisor drawing on examples? Umm... usually something you wrote in an essay or perhaps mentioning a theme/topic/issue in the book that they would like to know your thoughts on. SOmetimes they illustrate something with a passage and ask your opinion on it. Supervisions aren't really anything to worry about, as long as you've done the work you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yep that's the one, the alternate course is to always ask questions about 2 minutes before they were going to ask about that topic, that way they explain it to you first and think you're making intelligent questions.
    The best thing about supervisions is that you can ask them specifically about areas you don't understand, when I get bored I annoy the hell out of my supervision partners by starting to ask questions about esoteric things not really related to the subject being supervised.

Most of my supervisors are alright, some are superb and others too much like workaholics (and think I ought to be too).

ReputationRep:
    You soon realise what each supervisor wants. I have one who loves ciritcs and wants you to write very "academically". Another hates critics, wants to hear your opinion and likes to hear flowry words like "resonant" etc. and the more you write, the more he likes it.

Alaric - totally agree with the asking questions before they bring something up!

(I do English btw)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    I annoy the hell out of my supervision partners
    Oh, the sad, sad erosion of the tutorial system
    At one time, haviing 'supervision partners' would have been extremely rare. I do feel very lucky to still have one-to-one tutorials.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    At one time, haviing 'supervision partners' would have been extremely rare. I do feel very lucky to still have one-to-one tutorials.
    Yes, but they are scarier :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Aye, I only have one to two supervisions at the moment, last year Physics was one to three because one of the supervisors pulled out just after freshers week, but that supervisor was very sound and wrote up answers for all the exercise questions after the supervisions - which was very useful indeed.
    Last year the people I had supervisions alternated with different lectre courses, but this year I'm with the same guy throughout, so it's not so bad as we end to understand the same kind of things at the same kind of times.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    All my supervisions are 1:4. It varies between subjects though - I think it's useful having a couple more people around so that you know you're not the only stupid fool who doesn't have a clue what's been going on in lectures, and you help each other out etc.

My supervisors are all very nice, but one isn't particularly good - he always gets distracted and drifts off topic, and then will decide to go over the same thing we've done for the last 3 weeks. Another one was really scary when I first met him, but is quite alright now, and a total genius on his subject

ReputationRep:
    My supervisors are mostly nice though I've just got a new one for Chem who is supposedly a bit of a b*stard, so a bit nervous about that... My old chem supervisor was one of my interviewers and yes, there was a bit of fear about 'don't want him to think he's made a mistake', but he's definitely the best supervisor I've had and so that more than makes up for any nerves I do have one supervisor who is too nice in a way - she seems afraid of criticising our work even constructively and although it's lovely in some ways, I could also really do with knowing what I've done wrong...

Three of my supervisions are 1:2, one is 1:3.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.