The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA4 18th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
If anyone here is doing addiction, could you please explain to me thetheory of planned behaviour, because when I read it, it sounds like a complete load of bull that does not make sense.
Reply 301
Original post by yeebz93
If anyone here is doing addiction, could you please explain to me thetheory of planned behaviour, because when I read it, it sounds like a complete load of bull that does not make sense.

Haha, I had this issue when learning this too. It took a few reads to get it right. :tongue:

Here's my best attempt:

The Behaviour is of course the behaviour engaged in, in this case an addiction. The Intention is a function of 3 factors:

Behavioural attitudes - this formed by personal views or an individuals attitude towards a certain behaviour. This 'attitude' may be formed from the consequences which the individual believes will result if they engage in the said behaviour.

Subjective norms - basically, your norms and what you feel is right or wrong. They are subjective, meaning they come naturally to you, as they are taught via the environment.

Percieved behavioural control (PBC) - this can act either on the intention, causing you to behave in a particular way, or directly on the behaviour. An individual with high PBC will try harder and perserve for longer.

Hope that helped a little bit, some was from text books/revision notes. If you need anything explaining, quote me back. :smile:
Reply 302
Original post by Heyimdec
Haha, I had this issue when learning this too. It took a few reads to get it right. :tongue:

Here's my best attempt:

The Behaviour is of course the behaviour engaged in, in this case an addiction. The Intention is a function of 3 factors:

Behavioural attitudes - this formed by personal views or an individuals attitude towards a certain behaviour. This 'attitude' may be formed from the consequences which the individual believes will result if they engage in the said behaviour.

Subjective norms - basically, your norms and what you feel is right or wrong. They are subjective, meaning they come naturally to you, as they are taught via the environment.

Percieved behavioural control (PBC) - this can act either on the intention, causing you to behave in a particular way, or directly on the behaviour. An individual with high PBC will try harder and perserve for longer.

Hope that helped a little bit, some was from text books/revision notes. If you need anything explaining, quote me back. :smile:

Thanks, that has helped me decipher it a little.
Anyone got any predictions for what they think will come up for:

Schizophrenia and media?

:s-smilie:
Reply 304
Original post by Mephestic
Anyone got any predictions for what they think will come up for:

Schizophrenia and media?

:s-smilie:

How's your revision going Meph? :smile:
Reply 305
is it just me who hasn't actually started revising for this unit yet!
Reply 306
hey:smile: i did the PSYA4 exam in january as apparently its the hardest so we did it early so we could retake if necessary (luckily i dont have to). anyway, i did schizophrenia, media and RM and the question that came up for schiz was on diagnosis, like the dsm and icd, and reliability and validity so that shouldnt come up again as it was in the one before that aswell. for media it was on the elaboration likelihood model and stalking. it was so hard and everyone thought they failed but the results were actually good so i wouldnt worry to much about it as i dont think its as hard as it seems and they might make the next one easier with a bit of luck :tongue:
any advice on the PSYA3 exam as you've all done it? like what questions came up?
Reply 307
Original post by EffKayy
Yes

:eek: great!
Original post by EffKayy
Cheers for the thankyou regarding the ECT info.

kthanksbye.

Hey!
Sorry Eff - Iv been trying to avoid coming on here last couple days to try buckle down and get some meaningful revision done as I have been struggling - I didnt see your comment!

I have got your message for the ECT thing though now - Thank you very much! Im wondering if theres any more commentary for it by any chance? I dont think thats going to clinch me many marks ? :smile:

How's your revision going Meph? :smile:

Im struggling mate to be fair but better than a couple days ago - Im really struggling with research methods and Im pretty much hedging my bets on doing well for my two topic questions on schizo and media and hoping then that if I get lucky and topics im hoping come up; then its plain sailing for research methods...but I have no idea whats going to happen on the day; I will be happy If i get a C on this paper to be honest; if im lucky with the questions I should do well like previous papers but otherwise im royally screwed...its going to depend on luck ultimately!

Hows your revision going? im just writing and re-writing things countlessly trying to cram it! (is that dumb? there must be an economical way of doing this lol!)
Original post by maz :)
hey:smile: i did the PSYA4 exam in january as apparently its the hardest so we did it early so we could retake if necessary (luckily i dont have to). anyway, i did schizophrenia, media and RM and the question that came up for schiz was on diagnosis, like the dsm and icd, and reliability and validity so that shouldnt come up again as it was in the one before that aswell. for media it was on the elaboration likelihood model and stalking. it was so hard and everyone thought they failed but the results were actually good so i wouldnt worry to much about it as i dont think its as hard as it seems and they might make the next one easier with a bit of luck :tongue:
any advice on the PSYA3 exam as you've all done it? like what questions came up?

Thanks maz-thats encouraging to hear.

Psya3 is quite difficult I think unless you start early. Looking back it feels easier but I think your mind works better when your less stressed lol now that I look back at it.

I think relationships is an "easier" topic as the basis of formation,maintenance and breakdown is things we can relate to easier than learning completely new concepts so I would recommend that: My prediction is Sexual selection theory for it.

Aggression is ok too but need to get your head around some concepts but easy one done - the evolutionary questions are tricky as they appear quite dumb natured I found personally (like explaining jealousy due to evolution or group aggression)

Sleep is a motherfooker but I found it to be my third choice as it seemed easier than others. You have to learn quite a few new concepts in terms of the SCN and how that works etc etc, stages of sleep, etc etc but once in your head your ok.

I found psya3 really overwhelming generally due to the sheer amount of things you were expected to know and remember; it was really overkill and unpractical I thought...

but if you get an early start it can all be remembered.

Good luck!
Reply 310
Thanks maz-thats encouraging to hear.

Psya3 is quite difficult I think unless you start early. Looking back it feels easier but I think your mind works better when your less stressed lol now that I look back at it.

I think relationships is an "easier" topic as the basis of formation,maintenance and breakdown is things we can relate to easier than learning completely new concepts so I would recommend that: My prediction is Sexual selection theory for it.

Aggression is ok too but need to get your head around some concepts but easy one done - the evolutionary questions are tricky as they appear quite dumb natured I found personally (like explaining jealousy due to evolution or group aggression)

Sleep is a motherfooker but I found it to be my third choice as it seemed easier than others. You have to learn quite a few new concepts in terms of the SCN and how that works etc etc, stages of sleep, etc etc but once in your head your ok.

I found psya3 really overwhelming generally due to the sheer amount of things you were expected to know and remember; it was really overkill and unpractical I thought...

but if you get an early start it can all be remembered.

Good luck!

Thanks thats helpful to know. ive started relationships but im putting off aggression tbh haha. there are so many studies so i get what you mean about it being overwhelming and i will take your advice about the early start! im doing eating behaviour instead of sleep but thanks anyway and good luck to you too :smile:
Reply 311
i cant believe that I have done no revision at all for 3 days straight. I have only spent one day revising for psychology in these holladays and can not remember a thing.looking at how much people seem to be doing on here im feeling a bit like i need to pull myself together, so i think im gonna do two intense psychology days (thursday and saterday). does anyone want to join me on msn to keep each other motivated......PLeaseeeeee i need some motivation and the constant reminder that someone else out there is in the same pain....on thursday i wanna go through all my schizophrenia essays...and then start writing essays for addiction on saterday ...hopefully i will stay focused and it will be possible
Reply 312
I am SO stressed!
Reply 313
Really starting to stress out about this exam now. My teacher was meant to be returning from maternity leave after Easter to teach us research methods but she is now not coming back till a week before our exam and has left us no resources for it :s-smilie: We've literally just finished schizophrenia as a class and still have the whole of addiction and research methods to cover and it's only 8 and a half weeks (if i've counted correctly) from our exam!! Really need a decent grade in this exam to get my B for uni, plus i've got my psya3 resit to study for as well! x

Oh also, with vulnerability to addiction the powerpoints we have been left cover self-esteem, attributions for addiction, and the social context of addiction is this now wrong?!

Please help xx
(edited 12 years ago)
start revising now jem! paper 4 looks tricky and need to start absorbing now!
Reply 315
start revising now jem! paper 4 looks tricky and need to start absorbing now!

I'm so annoyed at my teacher, all the addiction stuff she has left us does not fit the current spec :s-smilie:
Reply 316
Original post by Jem_x
I'm so annoyed at my teacher, all the addiction stuff she has left us does not fit the current spec :s-smilie:

Which areas of Addiction are you without? My teacher actually told us about the bits which were not needed and gave us new pages to replace those outdated in our core text book.

If you give me a list of things you need, I may be able to offer you some information. :smile:
Reply 317
Which areas of Addiction are you without? My teacher actually told us about the bits which were not needed and gave us new pages to replace those outdated in our core text book.

If you give me a list of things you need, I may be able to offer you some information. :smile:

I have powerpoints on the biological, cognitive and behavuoral explanations (not sure how much it is linked to initiation, maintenance and relapse though). Have nothing on vulnerability to addiction as it is all the old stuff. For reducing addictive behaviour I have info on Theory of planned behaviour (as well as other theories but I guess I'll ignore them).

Any help would be very appreciated! x
Reply 318
what topics/questions are you guys predicting for addiction...im going to learn all of them but would rather start writing the essays that are most likely to come up first
Im doing Media Psychology and have noticed two of the sections have a significant overlap and wondered what peoples thoughts on this were for those also doing it:

The two sections are The models of persuasion and attitude change and the effectiveness of television.

It seems you can apply the two models into the context of advertising and how they apply effectively killing two birds with one stone in revising for those two topics?

Anyone else noticed this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending