The Student Room Group

Email from the ex....

Most of you know from my crazed posts here over the last few weeks that my ex has met someone else (really REALLY quickly after we broke up) and has apparently now split from her. We had a big discussion about two weeks ago, I laid my feelings out for him, he said he "didn't know" if he loved me anymore or not. So I bought a valentine's card but exercised amazing self control by not sending it :smile: I also haven't called, emailed or initiated any contact with him since our little "chat".

I got home from class today and this email was waiting for me, subject line "Happy Valentine's Day":-

I'm wishing you a happy Valentine's Day. You are a very special person. I appreciate everything you do. I wish you the best on this day, and all of the love you can dream of. I just want you to know that the wedding was a blast! Once I get some pics downloaded you'll be the first to get some. Have a GREAT day!! I'll be thinking about you.

Best Wishes

It's like one of those awful "let's still be friends" emails....ewww. Should I reply or bin it? :confused:

PS: It was his bro's wedding the other day so that's the nuptuals he's referring to.
Reply 1
reply with a correspondingly 'friends' email. just say i hope you had a good day too, look forward to seeing your pics etc etc. it seems a nice email he sent you
Oh I know it's a nice email...but I was hoping for either a "yes I still love you" or "no I just want to be friends". I'm guessing the email is a polite way of saying the latter? Should I respond or play it cool and leave it...aaaargh
Reply 3
i dunno it seems ambiguous. its hard to tell. i think its a genuinly caring and lovely friends email
Reply 4
I wouldn't jump to either conclusion... to me, it sounds like a "im not making a decision yet" email. some guys (and girls, im sure) are annoying like that... they want you to wait around while they make up their minds. bleh. just send a noncommital email back... the ball's still in his court.
Reply 5
actually, for him to send that maybe he was annoyed by her lack of response. play it cool as this seems to be what hre likes
Reply 6
ladygrey
I wouldn't jump to either conclusion... to me, it sounds like a "im not making a decision yet" email. some guys (and girls, im sure) are annoying like that... they want you to wait around while they make up their minds. bleh. just send a noncommital email back... the ball's still in his court.

I agree, I know it's always easiest to assume the worst and think this is a subtle rejection but there is actually nothing in there to partcularly suggest either way.

The whole wedding topic can I suppose be seen as something you would say to your mates but equally maybe he didn't have the guts to just send a Happy Valentines day email so felt the need to include that as well. :confused: There really are so many possibilities.

I would say send a non commital email back in the same tone as his was to you and then see how he responds:biggrin: .
Reply 7
I wish I had that self-control but then, I doubt it would help me much.

You could ignore it for a while, make him suffer a bit and then maybe send a short e-mail, totally unphased, without showing his e-mail has affected you in any way.
Thanks for the help guys & girls...think I'm gonna lay off emailing him back and see what happens from there :smile:
Reply 9
Let him sweat, it was a sweet thing for him to do...

I think you should reply in kind, and just see how it develops - you might get back together again, but do you really want rush back in? take it slow see what happens ....
Reply 10
Yeah, don't email him back, that's what he's wanting - because you haven't been in contact with him, he's probably feeling "miffed", so thought he'd email you to see if you'd reply...if you did he'd probably wait AGES to reply again, purposely. It's to keep you on your toes and to make him feel a bit of power. It's what men do. Rawr.