Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Just wondered whether any particular Oxbridge colleges look for applicants that have tonnes of extra cirricular activities/experience/well roundedness etc?

are any reknowned for looking for academic achievement only???

K

ReputationRep:
    NOO... Nooo..nooo

I advise putting only a paragraph about extra-curricular stuff. Supervisors care more about what you like about the subject than much else. Obviously they like to see you can organise your time and are more than just a brain... but really extra-curricular stuff is secondary.

Anyone else in agreement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiemyp)
    Just wondered whether any particular Oxbridge colleges look for applicants that have tonnes of extra cirricular activities/experience/well roundedness etc?

In general, university admissions in the UK, including Oxbridge, emphasise extra-curriculars far less than US universities. Indeed, in the US, ECs play a major part in the admissions process, and it is not uncommon for high-school students to take up ECs just so they look good to admissions staff.

That said, they is not completely irrelevant in the UK, though most admission tutors are looking primarily at academic achievement. I'd say that extra-curriculars would be considered on a ceteris paribus basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radagasty)
    In general, university admissions in the UK, including Oxbridge, emphasise extra-curriculars far less than US universities. Indeed, in the US, ECs play a major part in the admissions process, and it is not uncommon for high-school students to take up ECs just so they look good to admissions staff.

That said, they is not completely irrelevant in the UK, though most admission tutors are looking primarily at academic achievement. I'd say that extra-curriculars would be considered on a ceteris paribus basis.
    This may be the Oxbridge sub forum, but not all of us speak or understand latin!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)
    This may be the Oxbridge sub forum, but not all of us speak or understand latin!!!
    ceteris paribus = (lit.) other things being equal

Poncy

ReputationRep:
    i wrote bout two lines... on extra ciricular stuff!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiemyp)
    Hello,

K

if you have done some important work experience, put that in

ReputationRep:
    sorry, can we please clear up the spelling of extra-curricular? it is spelt with a U not an I!!!!! Shocking for potential oxbridge candidates!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    sorry, can we please clear up the spelling of extra-curricular? it is spelt with a U not an I!!!!! Shocking for potential oxbridge candidates!!!

you were prob refering to me...
    I got in due to art skills i even explained in the interview that i was crap at essay writting!+ spelling!

ReputationRep:
    but its enthusiasm and knowledge! [for architecture!]

ReputationRep:
    yep, too many extra-curricular activites, the tutor will be wondering whether you're planning to do any study... obviously you still need to point out that you have some, but put some thought into how the tutors will view you and your chances of finishing with a good degree

ReputationRep:
    what are you studying? I got in to cam on two lines of extra cirricular activities and one word on work experience...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)
    Heu! Quam dispari domino dominaris. Lingua Latina lingua eruditionis. Nec solum sua arte sed etiam omnibus ingenuis cultis animi, auctoribus utriisque linguae clarissimi haud excepto, instructus est quem viri pro docto habent. Nec abesse Latinitas a litteris nostris debet si nobis eruditi esse vellemus. Sicut erat antea factum (more majorum), artes liberales studiosissime colamus, et tum Latinarum literarum laude excellemus ut aeque illae ac patria lingua orare sit solitus. Multae res sic omnes scholares hortantur, quanto magis ita istos Oxonienses Cantabrigiensesque, ne litteris leviter imbuti sint.

ReputationRep:
    Heu! Quam dispari domino dominaris. Lingua Latina lingua eruditionis. Nec solum sua arte sed etiam omnibus ingenuis cultis animi, auctoribus utriisque linguae clarissimi haud excepto, instructus est quem viri pro docto habent. Nec abesse Latinitas a litteris nostris debet si nobis eruditi esse vellemus. Sicut erat antea factum (more majorum), artes liberales studiosissime colamus, et tum Latinarum literarum laude excellemus ut aeque illae ac patria lingua orare sit solitus. Multae res sic omnes scholares hortantur, quanto magis ita istos Oxonienses Cantabrigiensesque, ne litteris leviter imbuti sint.
    Can you provide an explanation.....

ReputationRep:
    Half my personal statment was on extra curic stuff coz I do soooo much and it's really important to me, and I still got an offer.

ReputationRep:
    Oh for God's sake.....

ReputationRep:
    Using Latin phrases in English sentences shows us that you know some Latin - this just shows your copy and paste abilities (as far as we know) :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    NOO... Nooo..nooo

I advise putting only a paragraph about extra-curricular stuff. Supervisors care more about what you like about the subject than much else. Obviously they like to see you can organise your time and are more than just a brain... but really extra-curricular stuff is secondary.

Anyone else in agreement?
    The fact that I play rugby to a reasonable standard made me very much wanted apparently. A fair amount of my personal statement was about rugby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~U~Teedy~U~)
    Using Latin phrases in English sentences shows us that you know some Latin - this just shows your copy and paste abilities (as far as we know) :P
    Indeed. I think this person knows latin though, the structure is reasoanble. If they could say that in ancient Greek I would be much more impressed.

ReputationRep:
    Um, okay then.

Something along the lines of not just your subject but all other activities are looked for/taught. (aah the good old, nec solum..sed etiam) We need Latin if we want to be erudite?? (if you say so) I'd be guessing the rest... something along the lines of being praised for excelling at latin in studying an arts subject..speaking out mothertongue, and it being encouraged at cambridge/oxford...

But anyway, WHY?? Are we trying to prove something here? :rolleyes: The Romans probably never spoke Latin anyways; say it in Spanish, it'd be more realistic.

And before you criticise my Latin translation skills (which yes aren't good)...i'm a SCIENTIST.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.