Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radagasty)
    Yeah... annoying isn't it. And it's not just the breathing marks; the accents have disappeared as well. It just can't handle polytonic Greek. (Not that my Greek is that good, anyway. )
    Yeah it was rather hard to make out, good try though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Knowing Latin has helped me with anatomy, I'll allow that much. But I did GCSE years ago and I've forgotten most of it. I couldn't really translate that paragraph Radagasty wrote; although I got the gist of things.

Joey is doing Classics, so you'd expect him to know his ancient languages though! (although not necessarily Greek)

Overall though, I'd say unless you are exceptional at something they're going to want you for, I'd just mention your extra-curricular activities, to show that you do them - there's not much real need for any great depth.
    I did AS Classical Greek and GCSE. I sacked it off though because its way too much more work compared to A level Classical Civilisation and our good teacher of Greek was off sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Yeah it was rather hard to make out, good try though
    Hmm... I think I've figured out how to do polytonic Greek in this forum:

Φεῦ! Ὡς ὑν ἀνομοιοῦ ἄρχοντος ἄρχόμεθα. Ἡ γλῶσσα τῶν Λατῖνων ἐστί ἡ γλῶσσα πολυμαθίας.

I hope it works. To all you classicists out there, how is my Greek?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucerna)
    And before you criticise my Latin translation skills (which yes aren't good)...i'm a SCIENTIST.
    Being a scientist is no proof against having one's Latin translation skills criticised! I too, am a scientist, or, at least, hope to be one (I'm an engineer at the moment, a profession renown for lacking linguistic skills, more so than scientists, at any rate). Besides, many eminent scientists were good Latinists too. Newton, for instance, wrote his Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica in Latin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)
    Give me five uses of fluent ancient Greek/Latin
    Just thought of another use... the OP would not have misspelt 'extra-curricular' had he known Latin.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.