Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by integral_neo)
    How can you prove that any number n is prime ir not? i mean how can you check that whether the number is prime or not?
    There are certain algorithms, but it's still basically longhand checking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    the thing i dont understand is how fermats theorem could have been so simple, while wilkses one is so complicated.
    "I have a wonderfully simple proof that is too big to fit in this margin"

(OWTE)

Given all the attempts at solving it that failed - it is probable that Fermat indeed didn't solve it. What he left behind though was a legacy.

Simon Singh's book is a worth while read, and some of the contextual stuff is quite interesting too - such as the fate of the poor guy who claimed that sqrt 2 was irrational - he was burned at the stake.

ReputationRep:
    Fermat's was proved. I think it should better be known as Fermat-Wiles, as it is in some cases. I doubt Fermat actually did prove it as Wiles used lots of new maths that wasn't around in Fermat's time.

One that remains unproved is the Rheimann Hypothesis, it's got something to do with primes but I forget exactly what it is...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    One that remains unproved is the Rheimann Hypothesis, it's got something to do with primes but I forget exactly what it is...
    I think the Riemann hypothesis states that all solutions to zeta(x) = 0, where zeta is the riemann zeta function (which is incredibly complicated itself) lie on one straight line. If this could be proved, I think it would tells us lots about prime distributions though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    I think the Riemann hypothesis states that all solutions to zeta(x) = 0, where zeta is the riemann zeta function (which is incredibly complicated itself) lie on one straight line. If this could be proved, I think it would tells us lots about prime distributions though.
    The zeta what...? Whatever it is, you're going to end up proving it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    The zeta what...? Whatever it is, you're going to end up proving it...
    I doubt it, like fermat, it's baffled the greatest mathematicians for a long time, and i think may be an unsolvable problem (which can actually be proved!)

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.