The Student Room Group

LSE vs Imperial for investment banking?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by fail@maths
LSE... get PhD students to take alot of the lectures for Ugrads, because the senior lectures CBA...

No, that's totally wrong. All lecturers hold a PhD as far as I know, you are not lectured by students, certainly not for any course in Maths + Economics.

Classes (AKA tutorials at other universities) are often taught by students, yes, but that's the case across many universities. In the later years, you're often taught classes by the lecturers themselves because the courses become smaller (e.g. I have 6 lecturers as class teachers for me this year, each who has a PhD).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by innerhollow
But I can't really blame the academics when they already have so much to do. They can't burden themselves with students who are usually just lazy.

But how about the students that do put effort in their studies but are struggling and need help? What about them? They are putting the effort, trying their best to perform by attending classes, making appointments with these academics and getting ready for all sort of questions to ask but get brush off by the academics because the academics are too busy to entertain the students?

I personally would classify this as poor management skills, as well as poor ability, to the academics. Can't teach properly? Don't have time to teach properly? Can't manage the time to teach properly? Don't teach than. Do the research and just do that. Seriously, this is the students future. Not the academics.

Haha well I mean they do try but it's all just a bit flimsy. My friend failed his Christmas assessments miserably (average mark of 10% when the pass mark is 80% in each exam) and they didn't really seem fazed. He had a meeting with the senior tutor as part of departmental protocol but they didn't really say anything. And all our pastoral tutor had to say on the matter was "You'll do better next time right?". :s-smilie:

=/

I'm not surprised if he's wondering if he's getting his tuition fees worth =/

Got mixed up sorry, it's actually the Sunday Times who placed Imperial at 14th in September 2011 after it coming like 3rd or something the previous year. The league table is subscription only so you won't be able to view it without having one but (rather shockingly) the stat does appear on the Imperial website itself.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/aboutimperial/league_rankings

Thank you. Mighty kind of you.

I only heard about it because they spent ages going on about it in our induction talks, explaining why they fell to 14th and why it wouldn't devalue our degree etc. etc.

Devalue the degree? Please. The way I see it, the value of the degree is based on their research, not the actual performance of the students or the ability of the students to apply it in real life or whether the degree is even relevant in the current industry or if the students are all rounder-type students. My opinion of course =/
Reply 22
Original post by Swayum
In the later years, you're often taught classes by the lecturers themselves because the courses become smaller

Not all Uni. I find it suffocating that during the final year, classes are still large at Imperial. Some world class institution that is.
Original post by kka25
But how about the students that do put effort in their studies but are struggling and need help? What about them? They are putting the effort, trying their best to perform by attending classes, making appointments with these academics and getting ready for all sort of questions to ask but get brush off by the academics because the academics are too busy to entertain the students?

I personally would classify this as poor management skills, as well as poor ability, to the academics. Can't teach properly? Don't have time to teach properly? Can't manage the time to teach properly? Don't teach than. Do the research and just do that. Seriously, this is the students future. Not the academics.

=/

I'm not surprised if he's wondering if he's getting his tuition fees worth =/

Devalue the degree? Please. The way I see it, the value of the degree is based on their research, not the actual performance of the students or the ability of the students to apply it in real life or whether the degree is even relevant in the current industry or if the students are all rounder-type students. My opinion of course =/

Wait are you at Imperial yourself? I'm not sure if the situation is much better at other unis to be honest. With the exception of Oxbridge, all UK unis are starved for cash. So you end up with a small batch of academics who are stretched thin over a ridiculous number of responsibilities.

To be honest most people here seem to be paying for the Imperial brand name. Inadequate teaching seems a lot less pertinent a problem when employers are flocking to your uni like honey badgers to a beehive.

(I know this isn't really that relevant to the thread title but whatever)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Wait are you at Imperial yourself? I'm not sure if the situation is much better at other unis to be honest. With the exception of Oxbridge, all UK unis are starved for cash. So you end up with a small batch of academics who are stretched thin over a ridiculous number of responsibilities.

To be honest most people here seem to be paying for the Imperial brand name. Inadequate teaching seems a lot less pertinent a problem when employers are flocking to your uni like honey badgers to a beehive.

(I know this isn't really that relevant to the thread title but whatever)

Take a wild guest =/ They are what some called many-sucking-leeching-scheme. I would never trust THES/QS/and all those league nonsense. When people say; "Owh, that's a good Uni", I would reply; "Really?? Based on what? THES? QS? Wikipedia? Hearsay?" /sarcasm. People who go there glorify the uni because they want themselves to be glorified, not disclosing the real situation of the Uni. After being there, I could see some people are just pretentious really.

True. When people say they are in some top-school, I wouldn't be so quick to say, "Owh, wow...". Instead, I would observe their behavior. If all they could talk is about the school the school the school or project this "I was from the school, look at me!" kinda statement, but can do only diddly squat amount of work, than no thanks; go find someone else to talk or work with. I have no interest to talk with these sort of people =/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Every University is like that apart from Oxbridge though. LSE is exactly the same from what I've heard from friends. They even get PhD students to take alot of the lectures for Ugrads, because the senior lectures CBA...

Imperial has the workload of Oxbridge, but doesn't provide an unlimited supply of 1-on-1 tutes like Oxbridge...

UCL isn't. The tutors are always happy to talk. Plus we hav ethe lowest student staff ratio in the country. They did run a maths for chemists course that was taught by this PhD woman but it can be forgiven as why would you waste a top maths professor's time on teaching what amounts to A-level further maths?
Original post by kka25
One likes the subjects and one has the ability and one has the support system that one needs, then yes, one should be able to do it. Loosing one of these, no, it's not enough.

All of which are dependent on the person. You also forgot health or other personal problems which one might encounter.
"Bad teaching" is not an excuse for failure when there are lots of video lectures which are very easily accessible on YouTube. (University of California, Cornell, MIT, Stanford, etc)

All I know about those schools is based on what I've heard others say and what I saw of the schools' respective syllabi and frankly, that and the student body alone, in my opinion would be a good reason to attend. Then again, I don't know how easy it is to meet people in London and in the case that is indeed easy to meet new people out of uni, then I suppose that shouldn't be a problem.

Also what I said was more of a general statement and if you think I'm wrong and the OP should take a gap year and re-apply to say, Greenwich and do maths there, do explain why. I'm open to the possibility of being wrong but please, for ****'s sake, do back what you have to say instead of coming up with "ZOMG! SAUCE?!".
Original post by kka25
That shows even smart people can make bogus claim =/

Everybody lies? In my experience, people will tell you things if it's to their convenience.

Yeah of course, Imperial students would definitely do better with better support. But I can't really blame the academics when they already have so much to do. They can't burden themselves with students who are usually just lazy.

Ok, I didn't know that the situation was as such for most students. From the threads I had read, I got the impression that things were bad mostly with the math department.

They shouldn't be "burdening themselves". Professors aren't just researchers, they're hired to be teachers as well. There is more to being a teacher than just teaching. Support should be present. I doubt that the whole student body is comprised of lazy apathetic ****s.

Got mixed up sorry, it's actually the Sunday Times who placed Imperial at 14th in September 2011 after it coming like 3rd or something the previous year. The league table is subscription only so you won't be able to view it without having one but (rather shockingly) the stat does appear on the Imperial website itself.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/aboutimperial/league_rankings

I only heard about it because they spent ages going on about it in our induction talks, explaining why they fell to 14th and why it wouldn't devalue our degree etc. etc.

If they still have the good industry links they claim to have, then who cares what the rankings are, right? Do companies come recruit on campus?
Reply 28
Original post by Lilium
All of which are dependent on the person. You also forgot health or other personal problems which one might encounter.
"Bad teaching" is not an excuse for failure when there are lots of video lectures which are very easily accessible on YouTube. (University of California, Cornell, MIT, Stanford, etc)

What's your point? It is you who seem to be generalizing. I'm merely pointing out your generalized statement. You're now just repeating what I said.

Youtube? One goes to Uni not to listen to YouTube. Yes it can help in some parts but if it comes to a point that none of the lectures are good and the students need to study through youtube, what's the point of going and paying excessive fees for studying there? Now for the last bang;

And you would think other University's course materials match with your own? Some courses at Imperial are self made by the lecturers from their research. Not as easy as googeling it to understand the material further. It's not as easy as that now is it?

All I know about those schools is based on what I've heard others say and what I saw of the schools' respective syllabi and frankly, that and the student body alone, in my opinion would be a good reason to attend. Then again, I don't know how easy it is to meet people in London and in the case that is indeed easy to meet new people out of uni, then I suppose that shouldn't be a problem.

You are basing your judgement on people's claim with no whatsoever evidence. Like YOU said, as clearly below, people can lie:

Original post by Lilium
Everybody lies? In my experience, people will tell you things if it's to their convenience.

Why should you just take something out from the sky and trust it? You need to do further research, using the valid evidence, then conclude. Look at different sides. Not just one. Than you could form a valid conclusion.

Also what I said was more of a general statement and if you think I'm wrong and the OP should take a gap year and re-apply to say, Greenwich and do maths there, do explain why. I'm open to the possibility of being wrong but please, for ****'s sake, do back what you have to say instead of coming up with "ZOMG! SAUCE?!".

Yes. I am saying your statement is overwhelmingly general which can be misleading. I have no input for the OP in terms of the investment banking part, however, my input would be to take your argument with a pinch of salt since there's no evidence to support your claim.

And what's this about "ZOMG! SAUCE?!"? Now you're making accusations, labeling people without base. Is this you starting to lose it?
(edited 12 years ago)
LSE offcourse.
Reply 30
Original post by Ruvermillion
Hey guys,

I currently have two offers, one from Imperial for Maths with Stats for Finance and another from LSE for Maths and Econ. Because of the term COWI i am inclined to go to Imperial, but then i want to enter investment banking as a career. Which would be better for investment banking?

Also which university has a better reputation outside of europe (overall)?

After 13 years working in IBs, unless you are trying to get into JPM or GS to do their M&A activities where you graduate from mean very little.

Most IB recruiters are looking for well-rounded candidates who have good work-experience on their CVs and some good amount of EC to show. especially if it can demonstrate leadership qualities which is very prized by most IBs as it generally means a self-starter and that's highly important in the industry.

As for which of the 2, both are about there, I won't say one is better than the other though LSE might give you a very slight edge due to their recruitment programs and alumni connections and also they do have some pretty good post-grad programs especially that MSc Finance (Part time) that does bring about lots of people from the industry to their campus and student body which in turn helps with regard to opening doors for networking, remember most IB jobs are won not just on skill but also on networking. Not saying Imperial is bad by any means, in fact if I'm not wrong the Maths program at IC is one of the best in world while LSE is just there only with regard to Maths.

As for outside of Europe, LSE is much better known but more for it's post-grad programs rather than undergrad. IC is well known too but not for IB, more for their scientific related programs.

Best advice is to visit both, get a feel for the school and see which one you prefer.... remember now you may want to go into IB, but after your 1st work placement which you must do if you ever hope to get a grad job at an IB you may just change your mind as to what you want to do.

15 years ago I wanted to work for Microsoft..... because I went to a university very near their HQ and was rather fascinated by their work culture and obviously at that time their stocks were all the buzz in the world. 2 weeks into a 12 week internship I swore I preferred my first job (which I also hated) making pizzas at a campus pizza parlour a lot more than working for Microsoft, in fact that put me off working for any tech companies and eventually how I decided to get into IB instead.
Original post by kka25
Youtube? One goes to Uni not to listen to YouTube. Yes it can help in some parts but if it comes to a point that none of the lectures are good and the students need to study through youtube, what's the point of going and paying excessive fees for studying there? Now for the last bang

If the majority of the student body finds the lecturers bad, then there really is a problem and if they're not getting their money's worth, they can either try to request for new lecturers or go elsewhere.

Now, if things are bad to such an extent, why do people still want to attend Imperial or LSE?

Having another person's take on the same topic can prove to be an enriching (learning) experience. I learn from different sources as much as I can. :smile:

I don't think paying 20k per year for an undergraduate degree is justified, regardless of where it's from, but if one can afford it and is willing to pay that much, it's none of my business. Frankly, I'd rather study in France or Germany, where from what I understand of their system, there is little difference between the quality of undergraduate education from one uni to the next.

And you would think other University's course materials match with your own? Some courses at Imperial are self made by the lecturers from their research. Not as easy as googeling it to understand the material further. It's not as easy as that now is it?

The majority of a Mathematics undergraduate program, regardless of where one is, is going to be largely similar. I won't get into the specific modules being covered but if you were to check the syllabi at various universities of the same calibre (now, that's another debate on its own and I'd rather not get into the whole "do rankings mean anything" conversation here), you'll find that the material covered is not very different, if at all different. I've actually done that with a number of universities because I wanted to know what I would be missing out on, if anything at all, if I were to get an undergrad degree from one place over another. More often that not, the differences get more pronounced in years 3 or 4, which is where the upper-level courses would be.

Another thing that could be done is getting in touch with recent alumni. "Hopefully someone must've somehow made it through X annoying course which nobody likes? Maybe he or she can help!"

Why should you just take something out from the sky and trust it? You need to do further research, using the valid evidence, then conclude. Look at different sides. Not just one. Than you could form a valid conclusion.

Fair point. I can see how my reply was generic and not properly thought through.
Reply 32
More people from LSE in banking innit.

True, but Imperial grads have the highest average salaries and employment percentages in the UK, and I know my course has the highest average starting salary after Economics at Cambridge. To get the best shot at IB statistics would suggest LSE is the best choice but that might be because the only decent jobs Economics grads are going to get are in banking so are motivated towards it from the very beginning. I'm not sure if number of people in banking alone is a good indicator of career prospects.

If OP is absolutely certain about IB as the career they want though I would say LSE because I can deffo see why it would give an edge. And noone is going to care whether you went to COWI university to read Maths, unless you want the option of a postgrad open.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Lilium
If the majority of the student body finds the lecturers bad, then there really is a problem and if they're not getting their money's worth, they can either try to request for new lecturers or go elsewhere.

You think it's that easy to just ask for a new lecturer?

Now, if things are bad to such an extent, why do people still want to attend Imperial or LSE?

Contractual agreement? Far away from home? Investment? Pressure from parents?

Having another person's take on the same topic can prove to be an enriching (learning) experience. I learn from different sources as much as I can. :smile:

Ok. I'll support that. But you need to make sure it's valid.

I don't think paying 20k per year for an undergraduate degree is justified, regardless of where it's from, but if one can afford it and is willing to pay that much, it's none of my business. Frankly, I'd rather study in France or Germany, where from what I understand of their system, there is little difference between the quality of undergraduate education from one uni to the next.

I would agree with this. Quality is abstract anyway.

The majority of a Mathematics undergraduate program, regardless of where one is, is going to be largely similar. I won't get into the specific modules being covered but if you were to check the syllabi at various universities of the same calibre (now, that's another debate on its own and I'd rather not get into the whole "do rankings mean anything" conversation here), you'll find that the material covered is not very different, if at all different. I've actually done that with a number of universities because I wanted to know what I would be missing out on, if anything at all, if I were to get an undergrad degree from one place over another. More often that not, the differences get more pronounced in years 3 or 4, which is where the upper-level courses would be.

No. Not true. And this does not apply to all degrees as well.

Also, they may just write briefly their syllabi on their web page. Not the real detail of the actual content.

Another thing that could be done is getting in touch with recent alumni. "Hopefully someone must've somehow made it through X annoying course which nobody likes? Maybe he or she can help!"

Some of the 'alumni' wouldn't be speaking the truth or clearly. They'd rather speak highly of their alumni in order to glorify themselves.
Original post by kka25
You think it's that easy to just ask for a new lecturer?

It sure as hell beats complaining. :biggrin:

Contractual agreement? Far away from home? Investment? Pressure from parents?

Investment? In what way?

How binding can "contractual agreements" be? Surely, there are cases of students transferring to another uni or dropping out and starting again elsewhere, no?

Ok. I'll support that. But you need to make sure it's valid.

What exactly do you mean by "valid"?

No. Not true. And this does not apply to all degrees as well.

Also, they may just write briefly their syllabi on their web page. Not the real detail of the actual content.

That will vary from department to department and/or university to university. Some will only vaguely briefly list the topics covered, while some are more open with what's covered on their programs.

The Chennai Mathematical Institute, Cambridge, Harvard and MIT, all have quite detailed syllabi for their Mathematics degrees. Universitat Leipzig (for Physics - it's their only program in English afaik) ad Jacobs Uni, Bremen do too. The Classes Preparatoires aux Grandes Ecoles in France all the use the same syllabi for the specific tracks and all the details can be found on prepas.org. Quite a few French universities have their syllabi with specific details on them as well, Toulouse and Strasbourg do, if I recall correctly. I'm sure there's more but that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

My initial claim still stands - mathematics, physics and chemistry degrees, are fairly standard for the most part of the first two years or so. Things get very different the more advanced you go and it's at the post graduate level that the huge differences can start to show. My knowledge does not stretch too much beyond math and science degrees and I don't know how "flexible" things can get with, say a Philosophy BA and it still being a Philosophy BA, but as far as I know, a bachelor's degree in Physics will definitely include the following and the introductory and intermediate levels: classical mechanics, E&M, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, mathematical methods, differential equations, atomic physics and at least a programming course. There might have been one or two "core courses" that I could have missed. That's typically what you'll find in any physics degree and some universities will cover these in more depth than others. This could very well depend on the strength of a particular class, among other things. But that's just an educated guess...

Some of the 'alumni' wouldn't be speaking the truth or clearly. They'd rather speak highly of their alumni in order to glorify themselves.

That is a possibility. However, so is the possibility of alumni being very helpful.
Reply 35
Original post by Lilium

Investment? In what way?

How binding can "contractual agreements" be? Surely, there are cases of students transferring to another uni or dropping out and starting again elsewhere, no?

Parents/Students who have invested a lot in their education won't just change uni; those international students that came far away from other countries won't have the option that easily.

Some contracts won't allow change/transfer to different Uni. The particular student would need to finish it within the particular duration. Like it or not, they have to do it; under these circumstances, the particular students can't just transfer, drop out or start again elsewhere since this will breach the contract.

What exactly do you mean by "valid"?

Valid; not just an inflated story from someone who went there and share their experience as if to boost their own reputation. That's one invalid source.

That will vary from department to department and/or university to university. Some will only vaguely briefly list the topics covered, while some are more open with what's covered on their programs.

The Chennai Mathematical Institute, Cambridge, Harvard and MIT, all have quite detailed syllabi for their Mathematics degrees. Universitat Leipzig (for Physics - it's their only program in English afaik) ad Jacobs Uni, Bremen do too. The Classes Preparatoires aux Grandes Ecoles in France all the use the same syllabi for the specific tracks and all the details can be found on prepas.org. Quite a few French universities have their syllabi with specific details on them as well, Toulouse and Strasbourg do, if I recall correctly. I'm sure there's more but that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

So? Good for them than. But we're talking about Imperial and LSE. From what I gather, Imperial has very brief syllabi from the web page.

My initial claim still stands - mathematics, physics and chemistry degrees, are fairly standard for the most part of the first two years or so. Things get very different the more advanced you go and it's at the post graduate level that the huge differences can start to show.

Really? So if a student has a 4 year degree and started an MSc but found out that the MSc is actually a 4th year undergraduate MEng programme where the MSc student has to join the 3rd and 4th year MEng undergraduate students and take their modules together; would you call that advanced study?

My knowledge does not stretch too much beyond math and science degrees and I don't know how "flexible" things can get with, say a Philosophy BA and it still being a Philosophy BA, but as far as I know, a bachelor's degree in Physics will definitely include the following and the introductory and intermediate levels: classical mechanics, E&M, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, mathematical methods, differential equations, atomic physics and at least a programming course. There might have been one or two "core courses" that I could have missed. That's typically what you'll find in any physics degree and some universities will cover these in more depth than others. This could very well depend on the strength of a particular class, among other things. But that's just an educated guess...

That's more than enough to differentiate student A and student B.

That is a possibility. However, so is the possibility of alumni being very helpful.

This is where you need to differentiate valid source and invalid source. If all the person can do is to boost the place, then you could ignore their arguments. BUT, if they could provide both sides of the story, than you could consider their arguments strongly.
Original post by kka25
Parents/Students who have invested a lot in their education won't just change uni; those international students that came far away from other countries won't have the option that easily.

Some contracts won't allow change/transfer to different Uni. The particular student would need to finish it within the particular duration. Like it or not, they have to do it; under these circumstances, the particular students can't just transfer, drop out or start again elsewhere since this will breach the contract.

Which universities have such contracts? That is plain atrocious.

Valid; not just an inflated story from someone who went there and share their experience as if to boost their own reputation. That's one invalid source.

Forgive my not being specific enough but that was more directed towards alternative video lectures on YouTube rather than class mates. For example, if one is studying multivariate calculus, one does not particularly like their lecturer and attendance is not mandatory, one can view the Multivariate Calculus set of lectures of UC Berkeley or 18.02 of MIT, and take what's relevant from the course.

Really? So if a student has a 4 year degree and started an MSc but found out that the MSc is actually a 4th year undergraduate MEng programme where the MSc student has to join the 3rd and 4th year MEng undergraduate students and take their modules together; would you call that advanced study?

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Could you please elaborate, as what you say about courses being shared for an undergrad MEng program and a postgrad MSc seems intriguing.

I was only saying that in an undergraduate degree, whether a 3-year or 4-year one, will typically have its more advanced courses by the end of it, rather than at the start. (obviously...)
Further, it is in the latter stages of the degree, where one will usually encounter more specialised courses, often in an area where the department is strong. Consider universities F and G. The Physics department of F focuses on astrophysics while that of G on optics. For the most part, the contents of either degrees will be the same but once the core requirements are out of the way (i.e, material that should be found in any "accredited" physics bachelor's degree), students studying at F uni will have more courses in the way of astro while those at G will have the chance to have a degree with a greater focus on optics.

That's more than enough to differentiate student A and student B.

Excuse me?
Reply 37
I imagine Imperial's degree being slightly more ''mathsy'' than LSE's. As said before, there'll be more of an IB 'culture' in LSE than Imperial, but you won't be set-back with either of the two, after-all, in the end it all comes down to yourself if you go to a target.
Reply 38
Original post by Lilium
Which universities have such contracts? That is plain atrocious.

No need to mention that out loud do we? =/

And it's not just the Uni, it's the contract providers themselves.

Forgive my not being specific enough but that was more directed towards alternative video lectures on YouTube rather than class mates. For example, if one is studying multivariate calculus, one does not particularly like their lecturer and attendance is not mandatory, one can view the Multivariate Calculus set of lectures of UC Berkeley or 18.02 of MIT, and take what's relevant from the course.

Like I said. Unis like Imperial don't have similar materials. It might have something for 1-3rd year, but how about 3rd-4th year? How about PG modules? Stop generalizing. Whatever you're saying might be for low level subjects =/

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Could you please elaborate, as what you say about courses being shared for an undergrad MEng program and a postgrad MSc seems intriguing.

I'll just make it simple; Sorry, but I'm having a bit of a headache at the moment =( , but here goes;

You have a 4 year BSc. You apply for an MSc from some other Uni which cost you your life savings. You entered to find out that your MSc's syllbus is actually exactly the same as the 3rd and 4th year MEng undergraduate ones. Not only that, your classes are with the MEng students. To make it worst, they are teaching you as if you know whatever they have been teaching from the 1st -3rd year modules (that you've never learned) that are tied with the current MEng modules you're taking.

Now don't you see something's wrong here?

I was only saying that in an undergraduate degree, whether a 3-year or 4-year one, will typically have its more advanced courses by the end of it, rather than at the start. (obviously...)

Further, it is in the latter stages of the degree, where one will usually encounter more specialised courses, often in an area where the department is strong.

See the above. The only 'specialized' part is the student would just take the 3rd and 4th year elective subjects, that are being grouped together, from the undergraduate modules, and called it as 'specialized' MSc.

Is that advanced? Would you be happy with this?

Consider universities F and G. The Physics department of F focuses on astrophysics while that of G on optics. For the most part, the contents of either degrees will be the same but once the core requirements are out of the way (i.e, material that should be found in any "accredited" physics bachelor's degree), students studying at F uni will have more courses in the way of astro while those at G will have the chance to have a degree with a greater focus on optics.

So? Meaning that students at G would be struggling if they were to be asked detailed astro questions wouldn't it, and students of F would probably not? Combined them both in one class, and you would see some of these folks would be resenting one another, if they take, a course, say Optics, and the lecturer teaches it in great detail, without even caring whether you know the topic in detail or not.

This is what's happening in some high ranked Unis. They don't care whether you understand or not which I find insulting and not worth my money to invest in the first place. As you can tell from my post, some of these Unis are just recycling their 3rd and 4th year electives modules and put it as an "MSc" degree. God sake... what a rip off!

I'm there for the education, to be a better person, NOT to be so lost and more resentful with my own education. So that's why I'm very passionate about this; stop generalizing! Until you have a detailed account of the Uni and not just some inflated stories or rumors, and you're getting the best accounts from all sides, then you can say something about the Uni. Don't promote or say whatever you *think* is right. Gather the evidence, without making assumptions or educated guesses and then conclude.

Excuse me?

=/

Read the above.
Original post by kka25
Like I said. Unis like Imperial don't have similar materials. It might have something for 1-3rd year, but how about 3rd-4th year? How about PG modules? Stop generalizing. Whatever you're saying might be for low level subjects =/

There's quite a bit of material on the internet and good forums (two good resources: here and here), where people can find some help with their work if they keep on "hitting brick walls".

You have a 4 year BSc. You apply for an MSc from some other Uni which cost you your life savings. You entered to find out that your MSc's syllbus is actually exactly the same as the 3rd and 4th year MEng undergraduate ones. Not only that, your classes are with the MEng students. To make it worst, they are teaching you as if you know whatever they have been teaching from the 1st -3rd year modules (that you've never learned) that are tied with the current MEng modules you're taking.

Now don't you see something's wrong here?

Are the MEng-level courses to the same level of what an MSc should be?

Usually, in an engineering undergraduate program, the first two years for BEng and MEng students are the same and it's as from the 3rd year that the MEng students take a separate set of courses, yes?

Anyway, if any university has a separate MSc course (by that I mean, a "proper postgraduate course"), I think that they should structure the course in such a way that it can accommodate for students who have a Bachelor's degree from elsewhere. If they can't do that, then don't admit them and don't take their money!

It's not a bad thing to have the same course taught to students of different programs but what's wrong is expecting everybody to have the same background and going from there. I think this is more an administrative issue than anything else. A rather unfortunate (or is tragic a more apt word, if you consider the amount of money being spent?) one at that.

So? Meaning that students at G would be struggling if they were to be asked detailed astro questions wouldn't it, and students of F would probably not? Combined them both in one class, and you would see some of these folks would be resenting one another, if they take, a course, say Optics, and the lecturer teaches it in great detail, without even caring whether you know the topic in detail or not.

I don't think it's good practice to lump people of different backgrounds together in the same course. In certain American graduate schools, if the department does not consider an applicant having the necessary background but still thinks that they could succeed in their program, they can be admitted but they will be required to fulfil the prerequisites for a given course before they can actually take it. I thought that's how it worked at most places, but obviously I was wrong.

I'm there for the education, to be a better person, NOT to be so lost and more resentful with my own education. So that's why I'm very passionate about this; stop generalizing! Until you have a detailed account of the Uni and not just some inflated stories or rumors, and you're getting the best accounts from all sides, then you can say something about the Uni.

Are you at Imperial? Which subject? Are you sure there's no loophole you can find which can get you out of this mess? It sucks that you have to pay so much for a postgraduate degree and not get your money's worth. You might be interested in this. Who knows, you might find something you like in there and you might actually learn something. Even if you don't, you'll be spending much, much less than for an Imperial degree.

I e-mailed the co-ordinator for the Theoretical Physics MSc, asking him if the Physics with Computer Science BSc I was looking at would be sufficient preparation for the MSc and he replied very promptly, saying that he's not sure that I'd have enough in the way of mathematics in that specific degree and to fix that, I should try take Real and Complex Analysis modules if I can. He also said that it'd be better if the degree were to be more focused more on math than on CS. I think it was really great of him to take five minutes of his time, go through the syllabus I sent him and give me his opinion.

Are you looking at going for a PhD? If you're a non-EU citizen, I think you'd have much, much better luck finding funding elsewhere in Europe. I've asked around a lot, read through various uni websites and that's what it came down to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending