The Student Room Group

Opinions on news of adverts advertising Abortion?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It's absolutely fine to advertise the availability of abortion providers, as it would for any other legitimate medical procedure.

And anyone who is talking or thinking about needing better sex education, YES YES YES you have hit the nail on the head.
I take it noone's actually read the articles.

It's not an "abortion advert". They're adverts for family planning and advice clinics which do offer abortions if that's what the person wants, as well as a wide range of other services. No mention of abortion is made in the advert.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16663800

Offering people help is hardly a moral crisis.

There are already such adverts in the media; papers, magazines, radio, television. But up til now those have been restricted to not-for-profit organisations. Now it's being opened up to for-profit companies.

So in other words, nothing's changing. These kind of adverts were there before, and they'll be there in the future.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
It seems perfectly fine to me. Some people need them.
Reply 23
I see no problem with this.
I think that it's a difficult topic. I don't think people can judge those who have had an abortion as they may not know the circumstances of the abortion. However, I do fully respect that some cultures/religions do not accept it!
Reply 25
i dont see anything wrong with it ... if a woman wants an abortion that is entirely her choice and noone else should have a say in it, well maybe bar the father.. and those people in difficult circumstances who need an abortion young girls etc. who dont want to have to go their relatives to tell them and would otherwise have no idea what to do, its not a bad idea well so long as theyre regulated and all.
and why are people comparing them to advertising euthanasia thats a horrendous comparison :s-smilie:
Reply 26
Original post by Haychee
Always found it a bit uncomfortable people making profit out of abortions.

That's a bit of an oversimplification. Anyway, are you having an equal crisis over all the other medical procedures people profit from?
It's not about advertising abortion, it's about offering women the support and guidance they need if they have an unplanned pregnancy, after which they may decide that they want to have an abortion. So many women would have no idea where to go if they were in that situation, and if you had such a momentous decision to make I'm sure you'd want all the help you could get.

Abortion is legal in this country. Why should it still be a taboo subject? Besides, I'm pretty sure the adverts would only be shown after the watershed anyway, so it's really no big deal unless you think women are so susceptible to advertising that they're liable to have an abortion in the same way that they'd go for a 2-for-1 offer in a supermarket.
Reply 28
Original post by Haychee
Nope but I do find it uncomfortable when people talk about abortion like it's the greatest invention to man kind.

What about abortion makes it so uncomfortable? As opposed to say, chemotherapy or triple heart bypass? They're all legitimate medical procedures. I am glad to live in a world where I can access safe abortion, where I know if I fall pregnant either by my own fault or not, I can fix it. I can have autonomy over my own body. There's nothing wrong with celebrating that as a good thing. We don't need to be ashamed of abortion as if it was impolite to talk about, or unacceptable to admit.
Reply 29
Original post by whatsername2009
It's not about advertising abortion, it's about offering women the support and guidance they need if they have an unplanned pregnancy, after which they may decide that they want to have an abortion. So many women would have no idea where to go if they were in that situation, and if you had such a momentous decision to make I'm sure you'd want all the help you could get.

Abortion is legal in this country. Why should it still be a taboo subject? Besides, I'm pretty sure the adverts would only be shown after the watershed anyway, so it's really no big deal unless you think women are so susceptible to advertising that they're liable to have an abortion in the same way that they'd go for a 2-for-1 offer in a supermarket.

I have rated too many posts today but THIS.
HUMANITY MIGHT JUST MAKE IT.
Reply 30

respect is being given for this comment, reviving my faith in humanity!
Reply 31
I think it's a good idea because it ensures people will know what their options are. The adverts aren't "advertising abortion", that's just the media dramatizing everything as usual, it's providing family planning to people to ensure they are aware of ALL of the options open to them.

It is not an abortion advert. I just wish people would learn to check their sources before going all "Daily Mail" over it.
Original post by the bear
how do you know what my life is like ?

once euthanasia is widespread then it will become quasi-compulsory; elderly or infirm people will be told that they have no quality of life by people such as yourself and that their struggles are worthless.

Oooh dont pull that defensive rubbish like ive just personally offended you.

You cannot possibly judge the extent of how far euthenasia will go - you sound totally unreasonable and your comments appear like they're plucked from the air. Your jumping to a massive conclusion which is on par with someone saying that if we brought back the death penalty then public lynchings would become acceptable and common.

Your talking about a volksgeinmeinshaft style assasination of people which occured in Nazi Germany before everyone publically started to find out about things like the Holocast (if you dont know what volksgeinmeinshaft is then look it up is tragic but fasinating)
Abortion needs to stop being seen as such a taboo topic... if someone wants to have an abortion, there is nothing wrong with an advert showing them where to go and get one. Better than them searching the internet for an anwser and very likely receiving some wrong information. As long as the adverts are tastefully done, by legal experts, I'm happy. We advertise warnings about STI's, why not abortions?
Reply 34
Would't more widespread condom advertising be more effective? You know, on telly and stuff rather than a machine in a smelly pub bog?
Original post by Parenchyma
I have rated too many posts today but THIS.
HUMANITY MIGHT JUST MAKE IT.

Original post by cl_steele
respect is being given for this comment, reviving my faith in humanity!

I'm out of rep too, guys, but thanks. I'm glad I'm not the only person who understands that pro-choice means pro-informed-choice.
Not sure if they are screened only after the watershed, if not, try explaining abortion to a young child after they see the advert.
Original post by Melting Sugar.
IMO it is bordering on encouraging Abortion without explaining the fact that there are other options. Advertisements for advice if you're pregnant unexpectedly (and then giving advice if they choose abortion after hearing all the facts and also making sure they realise what life will be life after they have one) would be a lot better.

That's what these organisations are for. Not all of them even provide abortions, and those that do offer them as one of a range of services including family planning advice and counselling.
Reply 38
I'm out of rep too, guys, but thanks. I'm glad I'm not the only person who understands that pro-choice means pro-informed-choice.

You're awesome.
Reply 39
Original post by barnetlad
Not sure if they are screened only after the watershed, if not, try explaining abortion to a young child after they see the advert.

(I don't know but) I would be utterly happy to explain abortion to any young child. In fact, I have done, and they understood, and the apocalypse didn't happen. Just an observation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending