The Student Room Group

Is 16 too late..?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by anisatalib
Your never too late to do anything. If you believe in it the you can do it, Age is just a number :smile:

Actually that's entirely untrue! Your capacity to pick up new physical skills greatly decreases once you hit adulthood. If you aren't already amazing by about 18, it's in all likelihood that you'll probably never become the next Mozart no matter how hard you try. :rolleyes:
Reply 21
Thanks for the replies everyone :smile:

Can anyone recommend me a keyboard or piano for learning? Or where I can find a piano teacher? I've asked my friends and they either said the school one is rubbish.. or their current piano teacher starts from grade #
Original post by jLou711
Is 16 too late to start learning piano?

I've been interested for few years now but I've just never got round to finding a piano teacher.

How easy would it be to skip grades too? Is it hard once you can read music and remember the keys?

How do the exams work? I've never really been musical but I enjoy classical music and I think I'd do reasonably well at learning it.

I started at 15, and was past grade 8 level when I was 18. There isn't an age limit on these things, so of course you can start if you want to.
Also, my dad started around the same time that I did. He's learning very slowly because he works full time and hardly has time for practise at all, but as a teenager you'll have far more opportunity than an adult with so many responsibilities. The speed you learn is largely influenced by the work you put in, so it's completely up to you.
Good luck
Reply 23
Original post by jLou711
Can anyone recommend me a keyboard or piano for learning? Or where I can find a piano teacher? I've asked my friends and they either said the school one is rubbish.. or their current piano teacher starts from grade #

You want one of these proper electric fandango pianos (not specifically this make, it's just a random picture). They feel and behave the same way as a real piano, but they don't require tuning and have a volume button. I've got a real upright piano in the house and I don't like playing it while the neighbours are in, but if you wanted one, they're most likely going to be cheaper than one of these electrics. They're very heavy and take up lots of space though.

If you look on a website called gumtree a lot of people give away pianos for free or much cheaper than a brand new one because they just don't want them, you may have to pay transport costs but it's still a lot cheaper!
I started keyboard at 15...
Well, OP, I think your question is answered :biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by spiral87
You want one of these proper electric fandango pianos (not specifically this make, it's just a random picture). They feel and behave the same way as a real piano, but they don't require tuning and have a volume button. I've got a real upright piano in the house and I don't like playing it while the neighbours are in, but if you wanted one, they're most likely going to be cheaper than one of these electrics. They're very heavy and take up lots of space though.

Why don't you like playing it whilst the neighbours are in?

And can you recommend any keyboards? any major flaws between piano and keyboard?
Original post by jLou711

And can you recommend any keyboards? any major flaws between piano and keyboard?

A keyboard is fine for beginners, but there will come a point (post grade 5 possibly, but certainly as you approach grade 7/8) where you need a real piano in order to have the correct "touch" and control over the instrument. But to begin with, an electric piano/keyboard with weighted keys will do just fine.
Reply 28
Original post by jLou711

Mostly because I'm self-taught and I learn by ear rather than by sight-reading music, so I need to play a song over and over to memorise it. It would probably piss off the neighbours to hear me playing the same song over and over for 3 hours...your neighbours probably wouldn't appreciate it much either :tongue:

A keyboard and a piano are considered to be two different instruments. Certain skills that you require playing the piano (such as controlling how hard you hit the keys) don't translate over to keyboards, because, although many of them are touch sensitive, the keys are very light, whereas on a piano they're very heavy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Mostly because I'm self-taught and I learn by ear rather than by sight-reading music, so I need to play a song over and over to memorise it. It would probably piss off the neighbours to hear me playing the same song over and over for 3 hours...your neighbours probably wouldn't appreciate it much either :tongue:

A keyboard and a piano are considered to be two different instruments. Certain skills that you require playing the piano (such as controlling how hard you hit the keys) don't translate over to keyboards, because, although many of them are touch sensitive, the keys are very light, whereas on a piano they're very heavy.

So, It'd be fine for a beginner to use a keyboard? Just to learn the keys and practice? I also understand that many keyboards don't have pedals like a standard piano?

Original post by Emaemmaemily
A keyboard is fine for beginners, but there will come a point (post grade 5 possibly, but certainly as you approach grade 7/8) where you need a real piano in order to have the correct "touch" and control over the instrument. But to begin with, an electric piano/keyboard with weighted keys will do just fine.

Ahh, any you can recommend for relatively cheap? I' dont think I have any local musical instrument shops. :L
Original post by jLou711
So, It'd be fine for a beginner to use a keyboard? Just to learn the keys and practice? I also understand that many keyboards don't have pedals like a standard piano?

Ahh, any you can recommend for relatively cheap? I' dont think I have any local musical instrument shops. :L

Look online for cheap things; second hand will obviously be much cheaper than buying anything new.
If you get a keyboard I suggest you at least get one with weighted keys (more like an electric piano than a keyboard), otherwise you'll find the transition from keyboard to piano a bit too much.
Reply 31
Original post by jLou711

What the girl above said ^^ :tongue:

I would say a good thing for you to do, would be to take yourself to your local music shop, tell them you've never played the piano before and would like to buy your own and learn. They'll let you try out the instruments in the store and give you a guided tour so you can see what feels right for you and not only that, but they'll probably hook you up with a good music teacher as well.
I know that everyone's already answered this, but just for some moral support - definitely start learning it! You'll only regret it if you don't :smile: And never give up if you find it difficult.
Original post by jLou711
Is 16 too late to start learning piano?

I've been interested for few years now but I've just never got round to finding a piano teacher.

How easy would it be to skip grades too? Is it hard once you can read music and remember the keys?

How do the exams work? I've never really been musical but I enjoy classical music and I think I'd do reasonably well at learning it.

I've started self teaching the piano at 18....

I reckon it's easier for me as I've been playing the guitar for about 10yrs now....but once you get the hang of reading music and where the keys are....it's simply a case of getting your fingering better and better.....

I advise you get lessons for at least the first year though as it'll give you the correct foundations upon which you can teach yourself
Reply 34
Look online for cheap things; second hand will obviously be much cheaper than buying anything new.
If you get a keyboard I suggest you at least get one with weighted keys (more like an electric piano than a keyboard), otherwise you'll find the transition from keyboard to piano a bit too much.

What the girl above said ^^ :tongue:

I would say a good thing for you to do, would be to take yourself to your local music shop, tell them you've never played the piano before and would like to buy your own and learn. They'll let you try out the instruments in the store and give you a guided tour so you can see what feels right for you and not only that, but they'll probably hook you up with a good music teacher as well.

Alright thanks for the help :smile: I'll have a look online for some decent ones (I'll probably try ebay or gumtree)

What is the standard number of keys may I ask? ^^ last question i promise xD
Reply 35
It's never too late =] go for it, you might be asking yourself the same question when you're much older too. 16 is not too late at all.
Reply 36
Original post by jLou711

88 keys on a standard piano. Most standalone keyboards have fewer, but you really do need some of those base notes in certain songs.
Original post by jLou711
Alright thanks for the help :smile: I'll have a look online for some decent ones (I'll probably try ebay or gumtree)

There is usually 88 keys on a piano, that's pretty standard.
Music shops will have contacts with various piano teachers too. May I ask what area you are in? There is often a music service or something linked to the council in an area that provide teachers too, so do some searching on google.
Reply 38
Original post by infernalcradle
I've started self teaching the piano at 18....

I reckon it's easier for me as I've been playing the guitar for about 10yrs now....but once you get the hang of reading music and where the keys are....it's simply a case of getting your fingering better and better.....

I advise you get lessons for at least the first year though as it'll give you the correct foundations upon which you can teach yourself

:colondollar: thats what she said..?

Ahh, I heard guitar is a lot harder than piano? So maybe it would be easier for you :smile: but you learn from Youtube? or just by ear and sheets? and yeah I'll defo be having lessons :smile:
Reply 39
88 keys on a standard piano. Most standalone keyboards have fewer, but you really do need some of those base notes in certain songs.

Alright! Thanks for your help ^^

There is usually 88 keys on a piano, that's pretty standard.
Music shops will have contacts with various piano teachers too. May I ask what area you are in? There is often a music service or something linked to the council in an area that provide teachers too, so do some searching on google.

I live in the Edgware/Harrow area? I've searched gumtree but nothing in my area :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest