The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm African but this is a really good idea for a thread...

we may steal it if you asians don't mind :yy:
Reply 21
What have the bad things got to do with ethnicity? Surely this is due to being a underdeveloped/collectivist country, NOT the colour of your skin.
Reply 22
Original post by Pride

:giggle: :ahee:
Original post by sunnybacon
Don't take this too seriously, it's meant to be a laugh...although I'm pretty sure I've been asked a lot of these questions :biggrin:
Enjoy :tongue:

I've honestly never been asked a single one of those things, so I have no idea how you have :s-smilie:
Reply 24
Don't take this too seriously, it's meant to be a laugh...although I'm pretty sure I've been asked a lot of these questions :biggrin:

LOL :biggrin:
Reply 25
Best things; food, bhangra, we know what looking dressy means :wink: (i find it amusing when goreh stick on a little black dress and think theyr all dressed up already :tongue:), how everyones related to everyone, how our oldies can still get down on the dancefloor withouut being embarassed :tongue: oldies freshie accents (LOVE em!) and wen they start dissing people in punjabi/gujrati e.t.c
Worst; Aunties are the best secret service around...seriously they find out (and talk about) EVERYTHING :/ drives me bonkers, All the matchmaking (though it can be pretty damn funny), how im expected to know how to cook a seven course meal :/, the 'when we were growing up in pakistan' line :/, how the indians and pakistanis start a war whenever the cricket comes roundd :/
Im soo glad im asian though :biggrin:
Reply 26
Tries to come up with ssmething which hasn't been said...

Best: The food!

Worst: Over-protectiveness (when your older brother acts like your dad!) i.e Not being allowed to live away from home (at uni)!!
Reply 27
Bangaldeshi :biggrin:

Best thing = Family.
Worst thing = Parents are from back home and back minded! -___-
Reply 28
Original post by maleeha207
Get this though. I just came back from Chicago a few weeks ago (went to visit famo). I know all the **** those cousins do, its like right in front of my face. Different situation from what ur saying though, because we actually spoke about that stuff...but now the continious "oh i WISH you were like them" and im like "you dont even know what theyre like -_-" ...yet u cant really say anything or its the whole family drama.

haha I get you 100%
My mum used to say oh you should be more lile herr shes such a good daughter blabla

then everyone found out what a begerat she had been and my mum still apologizes till this day for comparing me to her lol
Reply 29
Original post by ThumbsUp
when you say something like 'oooh a levels are so hard!' then one (or even both if your that unlucky) starts with 'vhen i vas in india/some other asian dominated country, we had to run 8 miles to school' or some other ridiculously exagerrated lie ._.

Funnily enough, this also applies to being from Yorkshire :awesome: (Well, not 'being in India', but 'when I was younger'... :colonhash:)
Reply 30
Original post by Pride

lol ofc...go ahead :tongue:
Original post by MirandaPanda
I've honestly never been asked a single one of those things, so I have no idea how you have :s-smilie:

I wear a turban, that makes me an easy target for some of those questions at least :tongue:
The only one I can think of that was missed out from that video is like the most common one for us Sikhs...."how long is your hair" :biggrin:
Original post by maleeha207

For me, as a Pakistani, the best thing has to be the 'togetherness' of family, which you dont normally find in other cultures.

Very ignorant. What a load of *******s.
Reply 33
LOOOOOOOOOOL so true :tongue:
Reply 34
1 person's going on holiday and there's a minibus of people all squashed up to say goodbye- it's so embarrasing
Reply 35

Haha! Exactly!

+1
Why are people saying togetherness of family?

White people have that too! or at least I do.

EDIT: People don't like to hear white people have togetherness in their families?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
Worst thing is saying goodbye in the living room, then the hallway, then the driveway, then by your car, then through the rolled down windows...

:sigh:
oh noooo why have i discovered this thread, now i have to read through all the comments. Suppose to be revising!
Reply 39
Being Asian is the best. I don't know about you guys but because I am asian I know I can relate to Indians, Pakistani's and Bangladeshis and to some extent some middle easterners. Simply because our cultures are extremely similar, we all get pushed to achieve... we all get forced into watching Zeet Tv/Star plus/NDTV imagine ect... and we have all head that "When I was your age I came to this country and I was earning 50p a week" stories.

And the best is walking into a predominatley asian area and it feeling just like home!
I love being ASIAN!

Latest