Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So gravitational field strength is defined as the force exerted per unit mass at a point in the field. So g=F/M so then in my textbook it then goes onto say that it's independent of the test mass used, but how can this be? from the equation surley a leager test mass means a smaller g field so it's dependent?

ReputationRep:
    bree crazy gravitons with infinite range cause they have no mass but are affected by mass you get me ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emissionspectra)
    So gravitational field strength is defined as the force exerted per unit mass at a point in the field. So g=F/M so then in my textbook it then goes onto say that it's independent of the test mass used, but how can this be? from the equation surley a leager test mass means a smaller g field so it's dependent?
    doesn't the M in g=F/M represent the Mass of the thing creating the gravitational force though, eg M would be the earth then a larger test mass wont affect it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benniboi1)
    doesn't the M in g=F/M represent the Mass of the thing creating the gravitational force though, eg M would be the earth then a larger test mass wont affect it
    thinking about it i think its becuase Force has mass in its units so the m's cancel out.

ReputationRep:
    Grav force on a mass is prop to the mass.

F=GMm/r^2

g = F/m

ReputationRep:
    It's independent because the "F" in your equation is the gravitational force on the mass (which is proportional to the smaller mass in the field) and so the two masses cancel.

g=\frac{F_{gravitational}}{m}, where m is the mass in the gravitational field

F_{gravitational}=\frac{GMm}{r^{  2}}, where M is the mass causing the gravitational field and m is the mass in the gravitational field.

Combining these two, we get g=\frac{\frac{GMm}{r^{2}}}{m}, and so both the lowercase ms cancel out, giving g=\frac{GM}{r^{2}}. From this we can see that g is proportional only to the mass causing the field and the square of the distance from that mass; it is not proportional to the mass experiencing the field.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.