How much should I spend on my first car?

Watch
Otkem
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
This is my first car, but I'm looking at getting a Toyota Aygo. How much should I ideally spend on one so that I'm not getting ripped off, but not buying a nail? I don't want to buy one new as I know that it's likely to get knocked and scraped.

This is the car:

Advertisement
AmIDoingItRight
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depends on how much you can afford, but i wouldn't buy a brand new car as it decreases in value so much.
Stryder402
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
up to £2k
Stratos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Buy a nice American car. ^__^
PapaShmurff
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depends how much you can afford, obviously the more you spend the newer it should be, less mileage etc.
Advertisement
Arnold.L
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Otkem)
This is my first car, but I'm looking at getting a Toyota Aygo. How much should I ideally spend on one so that I'm not getting ripped off, but not buying a nail? I don't want to buy one new as I know that it's likely to get knocked and scraped.
Generally, new drivers who get first cars tend to spend less than £1500. This is because as the price goes higher, the car tends to be better and so the insurance will be higher. When you are choosing a car, you will have to see how much it would be to insure it as well otherwise you could end up paying more for your insurance than you car ^.^

By the way, my sister bought her first car which was a VW Golf with 02 plate for £1200 and that was 2 years ago. That is really cheap since it was £1600 ono. You need to have someone who knows what cars should feel like and how to tell if it has crashed before and see if the car has full history etc. My sister got my mum to test it out and she pulled the price down by pointing out little things haha.

Hope this helps
PinkyPurply
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's difficult to say. I personally don't drive because of the cost, although I passed my test a year ago.
Most of my friends drive, one bought an 07 1.3 KA for £2300. Within two months the front left suspension crumpled, his drive shaft literally disintegrated as we headed over the Severn bridge! his heaters stopped working about a day after buying it and recently the coolant pipe sprung a leak which meant we weren't going anywher.
Another friend dug out a 1987 land rover defender 110 from his farm. The insurance was astronomical and it does roughly 12 mpg (in a 2.4 diesel) but it's never had a fault apart from the stereo not working.
I know this doesn't really help, but i hope it points out how hit and miss used cars (and new ones for that matter) are
Advertisement
Megaross
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
£300 - £500, get something cheap and **** for the first year at least so when you inevitably scrape it up it doesn't matter.
And when it breaks down you can learn a bit about car repairs/ maintainance.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I spent £1750 on my first car.
Advertisement
BLineDisaster
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My first car cost me £995
NOBODY MOVE!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
would recommend not to pay more than £2,500 for any first car. closer to this number if it is something you intend to keep for a few years; for something just for first year before changing, i would say £500-£1,000, preferably with year's of mot + some tax left. i had a peugeot 205 as my first car, paid about £400,and i absolutely loved the thing, despite concerns about its ability to protect occupants in any car crash :ahee:

toyota aygo/citroen c1/peugeot 107 updated very soon, with slightly refreshed appearance and sub-100g/km emissions.........
Advertisement
Harrifer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Otkem)

This is the car:

Woman's car, don't buy it.
OMG TOOTHBRUSH
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Over £9000
Advertisement
boba
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
less than £1000 on a first car
Camoxide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd say up too 1k. Something that's not going to fall apart and cost you more in repairs though.
Hunglikeamuuule
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I spent £80 on my first car, still going strong!
SmartED96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm 21. I have been driving my mums car for a year almost. I feel like a confident driver, don't intend to have a crash anytime soon, and to be honest, don't use the car all that much.

For this reason, my first car will be the new Smart Electric Drive Fortwo, 2017. Good for running around town and very safe. Plus being NEW, will last me at least 5 years. It is £16,000 though. Insurance being just over £1000
Advertisement
coldplasma
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Whatever you want to spend dude. My first car was a Ford Fiesta 2011 and it cost nearly £5k. However I have savings and a job.
username1391301
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Try and stay away from anything that's French. My next door neighbour is a mechanic and when i was looking to buy my first car that's the first thing he said.
username2769500
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1000 or So. You Will damage It.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (109)
35.86%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (41)
13.49%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (18)
5.92%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (32)
10.53%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (37)
12.17%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (35)
11.51%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
10.53%

Watched Threads