The Student Room Group

Boyfriend's/ friends and clubbing it cant work?

I've nott been out in months since breaking up with an ex its been about 6 months since ive had a proper night out, ive got with a new guy but its a recent relationship we arnt official yet just exclusive.
My mum is very controlling she wont let me spend the night at men's houses, so when I go out this weekend he said I could stay round his, I feel I should as he gets pretty ****ed off if I dont/ I wont be able to see him for a few weeks after friday and he is playiing taxi for me.

However the girls and I are planning a pretty messy night as we've not been toghter for ages, he's got very uptight about the fact that I will be drunk and there will be men in the club, he didnt say as mucdh that he didnt like my outfit, but hinted it was 'over revealing' stating there be men 'all over me' which there clearly wont be and I dont think he is bothered, its the standered clubbing gear. But he wants to pick me up at 12pm i asked for later and he said no becuase he has work, whereas all my friends are staying till 4am

so im stuck
do I stay with him and keep him happy and stay over, orr do I stay with the girls>?

Scroll to see replies

Where is this night with your friends going to be?
Reply 2
In London where we livee
Original post by Anonymous
In London where we livee

:biggrin:

I meant the venue, is it a nightclub or a house party?
I admit I'd throw a hissy fit if a bloke told me I had a 12pm curfew on a night out. He's not your dad. Just stop at a mate's instead if you dont want to wake him up. I know you say you wont get to see him for a while, but you're allowed to go out with your mates. I'd tell him to get stuffed tbh...
Original post by fredscarecrow
I admit I'd throw a hissy fit if a bloke told me I had a 12pm curfew on a night out. He's not your dad. Just stop at a mate's instead if you dont want to wake him up. I know you say you wont get to see him for a while, but you're allowed to go out with your mates. I'd tell him to get stuffed tbh...

This attitude is one of the reasons so many relationships fail.

Too many people with a 'it's my life I'll do what I want' attitude instead of being willing to compromise.
Original post by Wilfred Little
This attitude is one of the reasons so many relationships fail.

Too many people with a 'it's my life I'll do what I want' attitude instead of being willing to compromise.

I was about to say 'well i am single, so you're probably right', then remember I've just started a new relationship. Poor lad.

I'm a firm believer in being independent within a relationship. I do things with them, I'm emotionally invested, I'll compromise on many issues. I'll even let them share my bloody duvet.
But first and foremost I am a 22year old woman. I've my own friendships, I have my own interests, I have my own life. I'm not saying the OP should telll him to go **** himself if she's trying to go out every night and she never gets to see him. I'm not saying she should totally ignore his wishes..
but for one evening she wants to go and have a dance with her friends and he says NO?! No negotiation. No compromise. Just - no, I'm going to bed you need to be back by 12?
I'm sorry but for me that crosses the compromise line. It's not about the night out exactly, it's about what it stands for and his treatment of her and most of all his interest in her individual life. I just couldn't stand for it.
I was about to say 'well i am single, so you're probably right', then remember I've just started a new relationship. Poor lad.

I'm a firm believer in being independent within a relationship. I do things with them, I'm emotionally invested, I'll compromise on many issues. I'll even let them share my bloody duvet.
But first and foremost I am a 22year old woman. I've my own friendships, I have my own interests, I have my own life. I'm not saying the OP should telll him to go **** himself if she's trying to go out every night and she never gets to see him. I'm not saying she should totally ignore his wishes..
but for one evening she wants to go and have a dance with her friends and he says NO?! No negotiation. No compromise. Just - no, I'm going to bed you need to be back by 12?
I'm sorry but for me that crosses the compromise line. It's not about the night out exactly, it's about what it stands for and his treatment of her and most of all his interest in her individual life. I just couldn't stand for it.

I agree about having your own independance within a relationship. you can't tell someone what to do as such as you'd be controlling them and a relationship won't work if that happens. If I didn't want my girlfriend to go somewhere and she still went anyway, I'd end it, I wouldn't tell her to do anything.

Regarding the actual night out though, it's more about the venue, I assume we're talking about nights out, i.e. nightclubs.

I don't think anyone in a relationship should be going to nightclubs, not regularly anyway.

Being on a dancefloor drunk surrounded by the opposite sex (who will try to woo you, let's not kid ourselves) and peer pressure isn't necessary or a good idea when you're in a relationship. Us men know how other men work, this is why we don't want our girlfriends around such temptations.

It would be a dealbreaker for me personally if my girlfriend wanted to have a night out in a club somewhere but again you can't tell someone what to do.

You often hear of girls who've cheated and then say they didn't plan it, it just happened, they were drunk etc. You're creating the perfect scenario for yourself to do something you wouldn't normally. 'Nights out' need to be a thing of the past and out of your system before you think about getting serious with someone in my opinion.
I agree about having your own independance within a relationship. you can't tell someone what to do as such as you'd be controlling them and a relationship won't work if that happens. If I didn't want my girlfriend to go somewhere and she still went anyway, I'd end it, I wouldn't tell her to do anything.

Regarding the actual night out though, it's more about the venue, I assume we're talking about nights out, i.e. nightclubs.

I don't think anyone in a relationship should be going to nightclubs, not regularly anyway.

Being on a dancefloor drunk surrounded by the opposite sex (who will try to woo you, let's not kid ourselves) and peer pressure isn't necessary or a good idea when you're in a relationship. Us men know how other men work, this is why we don't want our girlfriends around such temptations.

It would be a dealbreaker for me personally if my girlfriend wanted to have a night out in a club somewhere but again you can't tell someone what to do.

You often hear of girls who've cheated and then say they didn't plan it, it just happened, they were drunk etc. You're creating the perfect scenario for yourself to do something you wouldn't normally. 'Nights out' need to be a thing of the past and out of your system before you think about getting serious with someone in my opinion.

:lolwut:
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this.
There's no way I could ever agree that attached women shouldn't be going to nightclubs. On the upside, if we ever went out :p: the break up would be mutual!
There's no way I could ever agree that attached women shouldn't be going to nightclubs. On the upside, if we ever went out :p: the break up would be mutual!

No problem.

You don't see how a nightclub is inappropriate for someone in a relationship to be in though?

A desire to go to clubs regularly (emphasis on regularly as there are exceptions where it's not a problem) indicates certain presonality traits are present in the individual which means they aren't ready for a relationship.

I personally would be asking myself why she wants to go.

If she says she likes to dance or she likes the music, we can arrange to set up my stereo system in the lounge and she can invite her friends round and drink in there, see if she's OK with that.
(edited 12 years ago)
No problem.

You don't see how a nightclub is inappropriate for someone in a relationship to be in though?

A desire to go to clubs regularly (emphasis on regularly as there are exceptions where it's not a problem) indicates certain presonality traits are present in the individual which means they aren't ready for a relationship.

If she says she likes to dance or she likes the music, we can arrange to set up my stereo system in the lounge and she can invite her friends round and drink in there, see if she's OK with that.

DO you have any idea how patronising that sounds lol? That's like when a young child wants to go to the school disco and the parents aren't comfortable with it so they say 'we'll do our own mini disco at home that your friends can come to'

Personally I like to drink, I like to dance and I like to have a good time. I also like my boyfriend to respect that I have enough self-control and strength of character not to cheat on him or put myself in a position where I'm so drunk I'd do something like that. It's called trust and respect, imo.

Alright if you're going out everynight, then maybe you've got an issue. But once week, or once a fortnight (or less, or whatever) shouldn't be a problem, noty our age. Getting into a relationship shouldn't be tantamount to house arrest.
Reply 11
DO you have any idea how patronising that sounds lol? That's like when a young child wants to go to the school disco and the parents aren't comfortable with it so they say 'we'll do our own mini disco at home that your friends can come to'

Personally I like to drink, I like to dance and I like to have a good time. I also like my boyfriend to respect that I have enough self-control and strength of character not to cheat on him or put myself in a position where I'm so drunk I'd do something like that. It's called trust and respect, imo.

Alright if you're going out everynight, then maybe you've got an issue. But once week, or once a fortnight (or less, or whatever) shouldn't be a problem, noty our age. Getting into a relationship shouldn't be tantamount to house arrest.

Agreed.

Lettuce be cereal, the only reason you want to go is to get attention off males to boost your ego, inflate your self-worth and get a kick out of rejecting any who make a move on you.
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
Lettuce be cereal, the only reason you want to go is to get attention off males to boost your ego, inflate your self-worth and get a kick out of rejecting any who make a move on you.

I do love to reject them males. All those many, many men I get to reject....
Mostly I just like to drink.

You can't use the self-control or willpower excuse, that's a cop out. You shouldn't even be tempted at all if you love your partner, nobody should be able to compare to them, the fact you would even need self-control is a bad sign. Surround yourself with targets and eventually you will hit something. Doesn't matter if you turn it down 1 time or 100 times, eventually you will slip up. Just ask a smoker trying to quit using willpower alone.

Also the classic 'it's fine if you trust each other' line. Does trust stop someone from cheating, really? Do you think people decide not to cheat because their partner 'trusts' them? It doesn't make a difference, all it means is you will or won't be paranoid when they go out to clubs (depending on if you trust them or not), it doesn't actually stop them from cheating, people don't decide not to cheat because their partner trusts them. It should come from within because like I already explained, you shouldn't need self-control.
(edited 12 years ago)

Wow - urm ok, yeah urm no

As a bloke i would never dream of telling the partner i am emtionally invested what she can and cannot do. I go clubbing when im in a relationship and no objection to when she does and if she is trustworthy then you have nothing to worry about. Not everyone goes to clubs just to pull

The bolded bit makes you out to be a controlling hypocrite (you say you cant tell someone what to do then say youl end it if she did what you didnt want her to do)

The fact you regard it as a dealbreaker shows more about your insecurity than anything else.

This - a relationship shouldnt be the end of you seeing your mates and having a good night. Theres nothing stopping a person going out with thier partner to a club.
Original post by silverbolt
Wow - urm ok, yeah urm no

As a bloke i would never dream of telling the partner i am emtionally invested what she can and cannot do. I go clubbing when im in a relationship and no objection to when she does and if she is trustworthy then you have nothing to worry about. Not everyone goes to clubs just to pull

The bolded bit makes you out to be a controlling hypocrite (you say you cant tell someone what to do then say youl end it if she did what you didnt want her to do)

The fact you regard it as a dealbreaker shows more about your insecurity than anything else.

See above post. Trust does not stop someone from cheating.

Also you conveniently ignored the point about it 'just happening'. How many people do you think actually plan to cheat? Most say they didn't plan it, it just happened, they were drunk, a consequence of circumstance etc.

And seriously you're twisting my words, at no point did I say I would ever tell someone what to do.
You can't use the self-control or willpower excuse, that's a cop out. You shouldn't even be tempted at all if you love your partner, nobody should be able to compare to them, the fact you would even need self-control is a bad sign. Surround yourself with targets and eventually you will hit something. Doesn't matter if you turn it down 1 time or 100 times, eventually you will slip up. Just ask a smoker trying to quit using willpower alone.

Also the classic 'it's fine if you trust each other' line. Does trust stop someone from cheating, really? Do you think people decide not to cheat because their partner 'trusts' them? It doesn't make a difference, all it means is you will or won't be paranoid when they go out to clubs (depending on if you trust them or not), it doesn't actually stop them from cheating, people don't decide not to cheat because their partner trusts them. It should come from within because like I already explained, you shouldn't need self-control.

Same could be said for wokring in a male environment. Or spending time with male friends. I mean really, when you come down to it, the only safe place for a woman is in the home, probably the kitchen.
Amirite?:wink:

I don't mean that trust stops cheating - of course it doesn't otherwise there wouldn't be heartbreak when people cheat. What I mean is DESPITE that, as a partner you have to trust your partner not to cheat. There isn't a relationship without that trust.

As for not being tempted. When I'm in a relationship, I'm loyal, not blind. I don't have any urge to stray, but that doesn't mean I dont think other men are attractive - I'm just not attracted to them.
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s

This is what I was getting at when I touched upon there being certain traits that draw a person to a nightclub.

People argue they should be allowed to go to clubs, it's their life etc, but why would they want to?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
No problem.

Surely all of that is premised on the assumption that you really don't trust the person, isn't it?

You're also assuming nightclubs are cesspits of copious drinking followed inevitably by bad choices being made and frisky stuff following.

Personally, I like to think that's what my lounge is for. :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending